Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new to the forums and planning to make some modifications to my Outback to give a more rugged appearance and make it more capable for off-road and winter driving. However, the car is my everyday driver with 60 miles of round trip commuting everyday, with combo of highway and city driving.

I've done a ton of reading through the forums and would like to go with the Geolandar GO15. it appears that both of these tire setups will work fine on my Outback:
  • G015 235/65R17
  • GO15 235/60R18
Mounting the 17s on new wheels seems extremely popular. Only question I have left is why should I choose to go with 17" wheels vs. the stock 18"? Will less sidewall on the 18s adversely impact the tires off road capability? Will the 17" set up make for a softer ride?

I appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi,

I'm new to the forums and planning to make some modifications to my Outback to give a more rugged appearance and make it more capable for off-road and winter driving. However, the car is my everyday driver with 60 miles of round trip commuting everyday, with combo of highway and city driving.

I've done a ton of reading through the forums and would like to go with the Geolandar GO15. it appears that both of these tire setups will work fine on my Outback:

• G015 235/65R17
  • GO15 235/60R18
Mounting the 17s on new wheels seems extremely popular. Only question I have left is why should I choose to go with 17" wheels vs. the stock 18"? Will less sidewall on the 18s adversely impact the tires off road capability? Will the 17" set up make for a softer ride?

I appreciate any feedback. Thanks!
Would recommend you consider putting Michelin Premier LTX’s on instead of the Geolanders. Take a look at the comparative side by side review for the geolander and ltx’s. While the geolander may have a slightly more aggressive look you give up a ton of performance in terms of ride quality, road noise and wet traction ...I just put 235/60/18 LTX’s on my touring and they fit fine. The extra .6” of diameter over the stock 225/60/18 Duelers provides a lot more cushion over bumps and tar seams. They are super quiet as well. They are also 1.2” wider than the stock Duelers, which gives the car a really strong stance. Anyway, the geolanders are very cool looking as well so let us know what you do.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Touring 3.6R
9 Posts
I am also curious. Does the G015 in the 235/60R18 work with the '17 Touring Rims (225/60/18)?

·
Registered
2016 2.5 outback limited
166 Posts
Would recommend you consider putting Michelin Premier LTX’s on instead of the Geolanders. Take a look at the comparative side by side review for the geolander and ltx’s. While the geolander may have a slightly more aggressive look you give up a ton of performance in terms of ride quality, road noise and wet traction ...I just put 235/60/18 LTX’s on my touring and they fit fine. The extra .6” of diameter over the stock 225/60/18 Duelers provides a lot more cushion over bumps and tar seams. They are super quiet as well. They are also 1.2” wider than the stock Duelers, which gives the car a really strong stance. Anyway, the geolanders are very cool looking as well so let us know what you do.
do the wider tires rub with the splash guards. also, how much do they stick out past the fenders? i ve been wrestling with the idea of 235/65/17 on my limited, but i dont know if the gains are worth the rim investment. maybe just put new rubber on the 18s. im looking at a yokohama a/s tire to replace these duelers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thought I'd join the forum after watching various threads from the shadows from time to time. I'll chip in here, and hope it helps!

I've got a 2015 and chose the G015 for the same reasons as OP, and I have them on our '07 Forester too (that car got them first.)

I went with the 235/60R18 because I like the look of the 18" rims well enough and I didn't feel like shelling out for new tires and wheels together, at least not this time around. The tire shop had no qualms about installing them, and they fit in the wheel well no problem. No rubbing at all, with the OEM splash guards or the Rokblokz which I recently replaced them with. The tires still sit inside the wheel well despite being slightly wider, but the tread does tend to grab and throw gravel so I'm appreciating the new mud flaps. (Plus they look better!)

Not sure about how much of a softer ride that extra bit of sidewall would gain you. If you feel the bumps a bit more, well you might feel the roll in corners that little bit more with more sidewall.

Might come down to if you're looking for an excuse to spend a bit of money on the new appearance that new wheels would bring! Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R
25 Posts
Thought I'd join the forum after watching various threads from the shadows from time to time. I'll chip in here, and hope it helps!

I've got a 2015 and chose the G015 for the same reasons as OP, and I have them on our '07 Forester too (that car got them first.)

I went with the 235/60R18 because I like the look of the 18" rims well enough and I didn't feel like shelling out for new tires and wheels together, at least not this time around. The tire shop had no qualms about installing them, and they fit in the wheel well no problem. No rubbing at all, with the OEM splash guards or the Rokblokz which I recently replaced them with. The tires still sit inside the wheel well despite being slightly wider, but the tread does tend to grab and throw gravel so I'm appreciating the new mud flaps. (Plus they look better!)

Not sure about how much of a softer ride that extra bit of sidewall would gain you. If you feel the bumps a bit more, well you might feel the roll in corners that little bit more with more sidewall.

Might come down to if you're looking for an excuse to spend a bit of money on the new appearance that new wheels would bring! Good luck.

Been lookin into aftermarket splash guards recently. What made you do Rokblokz over Rally Armor? Cost, design? The Rokblokz look really good, could you tell me what length you went with too. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Been lookin into aftermarket splash guards recently. What made you do Rokblokz over Rally Armor? Cost, design? The Rokblokz look really good, could you tell me what length you went with too. Thanks.
It was mostly that I like the looks - and the price was better too - but also I'd read some complaints about the Rallyarmor UR material. Apparently some people don't think it's rigid enough. I have the standard length RB flaps.

·
Registered
35 Posts

i know it has only been a month since you posted this, but any complaints?
going to be needing tires soon and I do mostly highway about 50 miles per day

1 - 13 of 13 Posts