Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 Subaru Outback with automatic transmission and 130,000 miles. Recently it started acting up. The first time it happened I was driving 45 miles an hour when all of a sudden the gages started bouncing up and down. When the gages start bouncing the radio shuts off and the ac too. If I turn the radio and ac off the car will run normal if I catch it right away. Then the car will start jolting as if it were running out of gas and not go past second gear(I have to manual put it in second gear or the car will jolt). Then once I come to a full stop it dies. Sometimes it will restart, others I have to get a jump or it doesn't start at all sometimes too. The strange part is that after sitting for awhile it will start and work fine for 1-2 weeks. I've checked the alternator and it has a brand new battery. We can not seem to find any problems it's been in the shop twice and never acts up while there. Please help!!!!!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
have your battery, alternator and battery cables / connectors checked.

this sounds like an electrical problem.

does the alt and battery light come on when this happens?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sounds like your alternator. I had it happen once without the battery light coming on.
Exact same symptoms, next symptom is dead on side of the road.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I have a 98 Subaru Outback with automatic transmission and 130,000 miles. Recently it started acting up. The first time it happened I was driving 45 miles an hour when all of a sudden the gages started bouncing up and down. When the gages start bouncing the radio shuts off and the ac too. If I turn the radio and ac off the car will run normal if I catch it right away. Then the car will start jolting as if it were running out of gas and not go past second gear(I have to manual put it in second gear or the car will jolt). Then once I come to a full stop it dies. Sometimes it will restart, others I have to get a jump or it doesn't start at all sometimes too. The strange part is that after sitting for awhile it will start and work fine for 1-2 weeks. I've checked the alternator and it has a brand new battery. We can not seem to find any problems it's been in the shop twice and never acts up while there. Please help!!!!!
They tend to do this when you cheat on them with another car. Tell her you're sorry and you'll never do it again and it should go away. Buy her a tank of premium while you are at.

I'd check your belt, wires, and alternator again just to be sure. Get a different mechanic to look at it if necessary. You can check the belt by trying to twist it. If you can twist it more than half way around it is probably loose. If the alternator is slowly going out it may pass the test and then fail all at once. I'm not a fan of throwing parts at a car but at 103k it's going to fail sometime anyway.

I'd be highly suspicious of wires alternator.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
Novablue
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing