Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

In the anticipation of my new 2013 Outback delivery, I'm thinking where should I park the car to prolong its paint job and over all life span.

My garage is a hobbyist metal work shop. Parking a new car along with lathe, mill and other metal cutting / grinding machinery probably is not a very smart idea. Another thing, bringing a car from the rain into the closed, non-ventilated and unheated garage would increase humidity and promote rusting.

I was thinking about building a carport. Something like this sold on Amazon:
Amazon.com: STC Gazebo - Car Port: Patio, Lawn & Garden

On a positive side, it's a solid roof which protects car from the elements and a good ventilation all year around. On a negative side, it's an open structure susceptible to all temperature and humidity variations.

Alternatively, I can park my car on the drive way under the open skies. But then what would be the negative consequences of such parking?

I've never owned Subaru brand and I know nothing about their paint quality and rust resistance. Please share your thought or opinions on this matter.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Area of the country you live?

·
Registered
01 obw 2.5 5 speed
117 Posts
if you are not like my coworkers who think i am their mother, you use the lathe and another sheetmetal tools then clean up after using them... so parking next to them should not be a problem if you have the space... you can park outside when using your toys...clean up and then park your new ride inside...you can also cover the car if you want to have your cake and eat it too... just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
5,019 Posts
...I guess it just depends on the choices you have...I have to settle for outdoors as our garage is raised off the ground on wood cribs...mostly a storage garage. We have the most varried weather here on the east coast...hot summers, cold snowy winters and all weather in between. Car finishes are tough so I really don't think it matters too much.

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if you are not like my coworkers who think i am their mother, you use the lathe and another sheetmetal tools then clean up after using them... so parking next to them should not be a problem if you have the space... you can park outside when using your toys...clean up and then park your new ride inside...you can also cover the car if you want to have your cake and eat it too... just my 2 cents...
If I do as you're suggesting, then I won't have any space left for myself :gasp:

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
Keep it in the garage if you can. If you frequently use your tools and what not you should of course keep things tidy but a car cover will keep debris off your paint job.

Parking it in the sun day in and day out can result in your paint fading prematurely.

Even under a car port you should use a car cover. You don't need a perfectly fitted one. Any cheap cover from WalMart will do the trick.

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Keep it in the garage if you can. If you frequently use your tools and what not you should of course keep things tidy but a car cover will keep debris off your paint job.

Parking it in the sun day in and day out can result in your paint fading prematurely.

Even under a car port you should use a car cover. You don't need a perfectly fitted one. Any cheap cover from WalMart will do the trick.
Using car cover every day will eventually scratch car finish which defeats its purpose.
You cannot wash you car every day to keep its surfaces free from the road grit and dust.
Car cover will trap this abrasive debris and will act as a sandpaper against the car finish.
My neighbor screwed up his BMW paint by covering and uncovering his car every other day.

I wonder, if soft detachable enclosures for a car port will substitute garage walls as a protection from elements.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Yea, forgot to mention - Pacific North West - Oregon
In that case, just leave it outside. Oregon summers are mild and the winters are wet. Putting a wet car into a warm garage will promote rust.
The cool summers won't hurt the paint or interior.

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In that case, just leave it outside. Oregon summers are mild and the winters are wet. Putting a wet car into a warm garage will promote rust.
The cool summers won't hurt the paint or interior.
Then probably a carport like this will suffice

This carport is not terribly expensive. I like how that handy person modified and extended its roof and posted a list of parts required for such alterations.
Probably I should go the same route.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
Using car cover every day will eventually scratch car finish which defeats its purpose.
You cannot wash you car every day to keep its surfaces free from the road grit and dust.
If you keep your car clean it shouldn't be a problem. During the winter months the cover shouldn't be used.

I used to keep my '69 Mustang under wraps but I always gave it a once over with my car duster. I also kept the cover clean. I'm a little CDO.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,348 Posts
Then probably a carport like this will suffice
Amazon.com: STC Gazebo - Car Port: Patio, Lawn & Garden

This carport is not terribly expensive. I like how that handy person modified and extended its roof and posted a list of parts required for such alterations.
Probably I should go the same route.
I recommend a carport at least but consider this:

Sun and salt cause more damage of paint in my experience not humidity, don't worry about walls on your structure your car can take it. Regularly washing your car (especially when they sand the roads) will protect your car more than anything else.

I live in WA and we have very similar weather. Carports work just fine in the this part of the country.

The only thing you need to worry about with carports is wind and snow. The heavy wet snow we have around here has destroyed many a vehicle in these parts. The structure you referenced doesn't look like it could take the 60mph storms we get once a year and the foot of snow we sometimes get.

If you are still set on getting this personally I'd still use but park in the garage during snow and wind storms. That way you would only need the garage like 2 weeks a year.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts