Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Subaru Outback Onyx L Autumn Green
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my new Outback Onyx (2022) I’m finding the signal to open the garage door is quite weak (I use it to open a gate at the driveway entrance). A friend’s 2017 Forester can open the same gate from 3x the distance, as was the case with my previous car, a Honda Odyssey (2010). Backing out of the driveway is even worse, I have to get within a couple of feet from the gate. Is this just the way it is, or does my car have a weak signal?

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
4,007 Posts
My opener is good from 30+ feet. Someone recently said they had something installed during a bathroom renovation that actually impacted range on their garage door opener. I think the item included some LED lights that caused interference.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My RAM truck wouldn’t open my garage doors unless I was IN the driveway facing the doors. My ‘22 Outback will open them from at least 200’ away. Antenna problem?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Outback Premier 2.5i
1,814 Posts
Try operating the gate when the car is facing it. I haven't tested my range but I know it is at least 65 feet. That's on the street and parallel to the door. Wondering if there is an issue with your receiver.

·
Premium Member
2021 OB Touring, 2011 OB Premium
2,073 Posts
As Micron mentioned, there is more likely an issue with your receiver than with the Homelink-enabled opener in your car. Try using an original remote which came with your garage door and see if it has greater range; that will confirm whether or not there's a problem with the opener in your car. If it turns out the car is not the culprit, you can extend the range of your opener's reception by adding some wire to the antenna. Another factor might be if you have LED bulbs installed on your opener - - some people have reported issues when using LED bulbs; just use incandescent bulbs if that's the problem.

• Helpful
Reactions: Alex_W

·
Registered
32 Posts
Could be so many things. I installed HomeLink in my truck. It works great everywhere unless I back into one side of our driveway. From just that spot it's useless. Cosmic radiation? radio interference? Who knows. I just have to make sure I open the garage door before I back into that spot. I haven't noticed that the HomeLink in our Outback also has problems in that spot, but I don't drive it that often.

The only problem I have with the opener is that it works with the ignition is totally off. I wish it was only hot with "key" on, so that someone couldn't smash in the window and open my garage. The one I installed in my truck works that way.

·
Registered
274 Posts
On our 2021 Onyx Xt the opener only works while the system is still active from driving and once I open the drivers door and the radio and such shuts off so does the Opener feature.

·
Administrator Of Internet High Fives
2,136 Posts
Gen5.....

I recently replaced my Genie GO, with a LiftMaster unit. Even with uncoiling the 'antennae' wire from LiftMaster. There are certain days where I have to be within 10 feet of the garage door for it to open/close. The Genie I could open 50+ fee away using the Homelink, or handheld clicker...

Unsure if this is part of the current rotating code sequence built in or....¿

What brand is your GO unit?

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
4,007 Posts
The only problem I have with the opener is that it works with the ignition is totally off. I wish it was only hot with "key" on, so that someone couldn't smash in the window and open my garage. The one I installed in my truck works that way.
The one in your truck was probably wired to 'keyed' power so it was only on when the key was on.
On our 2021 Onyx Xt the opener only works while the system is still active from driving and once I open the drivers door and the radio and such shuts off so does the Opener feature.
Interesting - my 2021 Premium doesn't work this way. Here's what I just tested -
Engine off (just opening the door and getting in), Homelink button doesn't trigger.​
Engine off, accessory mode, Homelink doesn't trigger and no compass direction on the mirror​
Engine off, run mode (two presses on the engine start button), Homelink triggers and compass direction displays​
Engine off, power cycled back to off but with the driver's door closed (retained power for the infotainment), Homelink won't activate​
Co-worker who was outside and watched me go out to my car, press the button on the mirror several times then go back inside - thoroughly confused...​
There was some previous discussion of this (I seem to recall it anyway) and it seems the Homelink function working when the 'key' is on/off is based on when the mirror was installed in the car. I know, right? There was a correlation between assembly-line installed mirror with Homelink and port or dealer-installed mirror with Homelink that determined which way it functioned.

Based on the change in the functionality I actually changed my 'shut down' routine, I now need to trigger the garage door BEFORE shutting off the engine when parking in the garage, if I'm going to do it from inside the car.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
64 Posts
With my new Outback Onyx (2022) I’m finding the signal to open the garage door is quite weak (I use it to open a gate at the driveway entrance). A friend’s 2017 Forester can open the same gate from 3x the distance, as was the case with my previous car, a Honda Odyssey (2010). Backing out of the driveway is even worse, I have to get within a couple of feet from the gate. Is this just the way it is, or does my car have a weak signal?
2020 Touring XT. Mine can open the driveway from about 100 ft. I did notice after first setting it up, however, that the range was much less than my last car.

Is this a gate that multiple people/families have access to, or is it yours? If you own it, it might be worth seeing if you can change the channel/frequency of the gate and see if setting up the homelink opener gives you any luck.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Interesting. My 22 Onyx works in all situations. Car completely off, door open, car running etc. I haven't found any time when it doesn't work. No idea when my mirror was installed though. The car was an order, but the original buyer backed out and I bought it the day it showed up on the lot.

·
Registered
2022 OBW
82 Posts
I wonder if this is similar to the voltage issue seen in other areas. Horn, battery charging, etc. How do you have your headlights switched? Auto or manually on? Maybe the lower charging voltage is reducing the range?

Fwiw I am using mine with a ghost controls gate opener. I have not tried any comparisons with the distance since I can only see the gate from about 60 ft away and it always works within that distance.

·
Registered
2022 Onyx Edition XT
107 Posts
Have you replaced any nearby landscape or street lighting with LED bulbs?

·
Registered
2022 Subaru Outback Onyx L Autumn Green
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The gate opens quite nicely and from distance using third party clickers, and with different cars. With that being the case, I believe the issue is with my car. I will try turning the headlights off as someone suggested.

·
Registered
82 Posts
stick the opener antenna wire in a cheap plastic straw so it sits straight (as long as possible), and try taping it to stick out in each of three orthogonal directions to see which one works best for where you want your car opener to work

·
Registered
2022 Outback Premium
807 Posts
I second the suggestion to extend the antenna wire. I used two conductor landscape wire that I had sitting around to extend the antenna to the front of the garage above the door and "tee" it across the header beam. This completely eliminated my intermittent reception issues.

Reactions: walker

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Another option is to add an aftermarket Wi-Fi capability to your garage door opener and just tell your phone to open or close it as desired. I have done this and I'm making it a point to remember to tell Siri to open the garage door about a block from the house.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The one in your truck was probably wired to 'keyed' power so it was only on when the key was on.

Interesting - my 2021 Premium doesn't work this way. Here's what I just tested -
Engine off (just opening the door and getting in), Homelink button doesn't trigger.​
Engine off, accessory mode, Homelink doesn't trigger and no compass direction on the mirror​
Engine off, run mode (two presses on the engine start button), Homelink triggers and compass direction displays​
Engine off, power cycled back to off but with the driver's door closed (retained power for the infotainment), Homelink won't activate​
Co-worker who was outside and watched me go out to my car, press the button on the mirror several times then go back inside - thoroughly confused...​
There was some previous discussion of this (I seem to recall it anyway) and it seems the Homelink function working when the 'key' is on/off is based on when the mirror was installed in the car. I know, right? There was a correlation between assembly-line installed mirror with Homelink and port or dealer-installed mirror with Homelink that determined which way it functioned.

Based on the change in the functionality I actually changed my 'shut down' routine, I now need to trigger the garage door BEFORE shutting off the engine when parking in the garage, if I'm going to do it from inside the car.
I installed the unit in my truck, so I decided how it would operate. That's very interesting about the Outback Homelink behavior. Ours is a limited, so it wasn't a dealer installed option. I wonder if there is a way to change it. Run mode is what I'd prefer.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Premium
807 Posts
Another option is to add an aftermarket Wi-Fi capability to your garage door opener and just tell your phone to open or close it as desired. I have done this and I'm making it a point to remember to tell Siri to open the garage door about a block from the house.
I know a lot of people have done this and really like it. My house is automated but the system can only close the garage door, not open it. I use a physical magnetic switch to interrupt the circuit when the door is closed. That being said the place is also dripping in cameras that are connected to a dedicated DVR that is isolated from the home network so I may have a tendency to go a bit overboard when it comes to security.

I also use Homelink to activate lighting and set the house to away mode. I use physical relays to activate the events so it isn't possible to disarm with Homelink.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts