Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a nice peugeot make street bicycle at a garage sale today, lookes to be dated to mid to late 70's. The old woman was only asking $10, which was more than fair seeing as these bikes were not cheap (not sure how rare mine is). good thing i had the Wagon with the bike rack handy :D:D:D . so the bike needs a little tlc but i love tinkering with little projects like this... she told me her husband bought it new and she has only ridden the thing every so often to keep him happy. perfect size for my lady friend so i couldn't refuse. (she never complains when im tinkering owith something for HER ) over all, needs a rear tire & tube, Break leavers and some new brake and, derailer cables i will also have too clean & grease up the king, and crank bearings.
gotta love these garage sale scores, especially off the sweet old ladys! ( I once snagged a 1942 AMES WWII era Folding service Shovel for 3 bucks:29:)

Pics:
cocos bike 023.JPG cocos bike 037.JPG cocos bike 025.JPG

Anyone else have any stories of good finds?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Peugeot's are actually French. That bike is called a mixte and is probably a UO-18. Could be a UE-18 because of the rear rack. They were bottom of the barrel in their day but are wonderfully made bikes and ride fantastic. Be aware when you pull apart the bottom bracket that both cups are right-hand thread. French parts are hard to come by so don't destroy anything. The original Simplex derailleurs are made of plastic, so inspect them thoroughly before riding. Having one crack while riding would not be fun. $10 is an awesome deal by the way.

This is my girlfriends, it was completely original when she bought it. It has been converted to an internal hub 3-speed, both rims have been replaced with other French rims that don't eat brake pads, Normandy wing-nut front hub, Velo-Orange bars and fenders, and lots of spit and polish.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-4bW4MXEFMqo/T62ePTN3QGI/AAAAAAAAAGE/B6C38x26lgI/s800/IMG_7387.JPG

·
Registered
184 Posts
That's a great find, Scooba Steve. You can tell its been in a clean environment all its life by the chrome dippings on the fork. The chrome usually pocks and peals if the bike's been sitting outside in the elements. Don't know what your experiences are with bottom brackets, but like Cmill said, be sure to use French threaded components. If this were a frame with English threading, the rehabilitation would be much easier, because you can stick a modern cartridge bb in there. (But then the modern square taper spindle may or may not not fit the old cranks you have, which is a whole other can of worms). Hopefully the bottom bracket components are in good enough shape to reuse without replacement.

Cmill, that's an amazing restore job, like it's ready for a museum. Extra points for keeping it with 27" wheels. I know I would've been lazy and just went to 700's.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Great find! I bought a new 1970 U-08 when I needed transportation around my college campus. While being their bottom end model, it rode and handled beautifully.

As others have said, be really careful not to mess up any of those old, weird, non-standard Unobtanium parts.... this is a great reference and he stocks some parts for these old bikes, like bottom brackets and headset bearings. French Bicycles

Parts page: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/french.html

Here's a 1970's Peugeot North America brochure: http://cyclespeugeot.com/PDFs/1970pdf.pdf

If you really want your lady friend to ride it, ditch the downtube shifters! They are a royal PITA. The ideal setup IMHO (but expensive) would be a multispeed rear hub and shifter, and a single front chainring. But you have to decide if you want to put large amounts of cash into a "beater bike", no matter how pretty it looks. I sure would NOT. You would never get your money back if you sell the bike.

If it were mine I would clean it up, replace the cables, grease the bearings and sell it on eBay for a profit: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=peugeot+bike

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the tips guys, especially about the reverse threadsdont know too much about the things. most bikes i have worked on were US made (trek, Specialized)
over all its needs very minor work, the derailleurs are in excellent condition which was one of my biggest concerns, wouldent know were to find another... annywhoo.. hoping before to long ill have it shined up just the ones you guys have shown!
Cheers,
North

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
The frame was know as a "stage" frame. Not sure why. The selling point was it was designed without the top tube like women's bikes of that time, but had the same strength as a man's bike due to the dual tubes.

I used to rebuild bikes in the 70's and can tell you the Campagnolo brand derailleur will fit it and is much better if the Simplex is trashed. Although they were considered junk in the 70's Schwinn derailleurs have come a long way as well. I can't remember if bearings are in a race or not. If you decide to disassemble the BB or steering column be careful for loose ball bearings bouncing away. You might also consider swapping out the handle bars for the cool "10 speed racer" handlebars like the one in John E. Davies pic above. Of course, then you'd have to get new brake handles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
DavidPeab
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing