Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Outback
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I notice this p.m. that my 2002 Outback is noticeably emitting gasoline odor. I think(!) the source is the filler cap itself. (I.e., I suppose it could be just downstream of the cap somehow -- I don't really know what's back there on the other side of inner "fender," but I'm pretty sure it's the cap itself). I'm really surprised because the car was safety inspected fairly recently, and I thought they tested for this, but maybe not?

Can I buy just any old replacement cap, or does it need to be an OEM part? It looks(?) to me like there's some sort of pressure relieve diaphragm, or the like, built into the cap itself on the inside, but yet again I'm not sure what I'm really looking at when I see the raised plastic architecture inside of the cap itself.

Any help re this is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2001 Outback
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Thanks, Rasterman. I thought I had remembered reading something along the lines of what you describe, but I couldn't recall the details. Do you happen to know what's involved in the fix? I.e., does the fuel tank have to come out? If not, must the tank be drained before work begins. Cheers.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts