Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a 2009 Subaru Outback H4 2.5i with 200k miles. It has recently begun leaking gas from the top of the tank around the sending unit, and typically only leaks when I fill up the tank. However, the smell of gas still tends to linger inside the cabin. I took it to the mechanic and they replaced the metal ring and gasket the secure the sending unit to the top of the gas tank. The leak continued. They then tried swapping the sending unit and it still continues to slowly seep out from underneath the gasket. They say the next step is to replace the entire tank, and quoted $1k to replace it. Now I know issues involving gas leaks aren't meant to be taken lightly but I feel that there must be an alternative fix for this that would cost much less. Has anyone else run into this issue/any ideas on what can be done before I decide to drop a grand on this repair? Any info. or advice is much appreciated!

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,693 Posts
any CEL codes stored related to evap problems?

do you ever get a whoosh of air when you remove the gas cap?

Colorado huh? - contact user @traildogck , he might be able to take a look.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have the P0420 code and it seems to be the only code that I keep getting.

I haven’t noticed the whoosh noise coming from the tank. Awesome, may have to get in touch with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
eh - I was wondering if excessive pressure was building somehow - do you 'top-off' when you refuel or stop when the handle cuts off?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I stop when the handle cuts off. I did notice when I popped off the sending unit it did release a lot of pressure, but I’ve never noticed from the gas cap or otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
the top of the tank should have a little air/'headpsace' even when full. If there's LIQUID fuel up there, maybe its leaking spraying form a hose or connection?

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,140 Posts
I just saw this.

Ok, if it is known that the leak is coming from under the seal, this is academic. The seal either was not replaced properly, or the is something on the tank side that is compromising the seal.

I would certainly take a look at it. Corrosion can be "bondo'd" with JB weld if the mating surface is pitted. I can make urethane gasket shim if the top of the tank is distorted. There are many things I could probably do for way less than $1000.

NOW...is everyone involved is 100% sure that none of the quick fuel connects are the problem? If the pressure in the tank is relived when the gasket bolts are loosened...that tells me the tank is pressurized. Any of the line leaks will migrate back to the top of the sending unit...so I would double check that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@traildogck,

I will certainly double-check on those things, but I'm 99% sure it's seeping from under the gasket. I don't believe there are any leaks in the quick connects either, but will triple-check that as well. I have considered the JB weld route but do not know enough about the sending unit to want to completely remove it and risk gas getting everywhere. I will look over these things probably by Tuesday because I have a busy work schedule, but I will definitely get back to you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts