Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am close to buying a new Outback with the 3.6 engine. MotorTrend says that it only gets 20 MPG on the highway. Is this accurate?

What are some of you getting with the 3.6?

Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
I get around 18-22 in town (Houston), and around 25-30 on the highway. City mileage is almost entirely dependent on how much time you spend at red lights. Highway depends on wind resistance and gearing -- > 75 mph is bad, 18-wheelers and suburbans are good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've never gotten less than 20mpg combined on any tank in my 2012 3.6. As mparker said, it depends on your driving conditions. I have gotten over 30mpg on highway driving, but that is rare. His numbers are close to mine.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Road trip last weekend. 25-26MPG.

I generally get about 20 in the city and 25-26 highway. I don't drive conservatively.

My gas mileage was worse for the first 5-8K miles, then improved.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i Dark Blue Pearl/Ivory w'Eyesight
703 Posts
I get around 18-22 in town (Houston), and around 25-30 on the highway. City mileage is almost entirely dependent on how much time you spend at red lights. Highway depends on wind resistance and gearing -- > 75 mph is bad, 18-wheelers and suburbans are good.
Same here, although my in-town driving is mostly stop and go (4 miles, 17 probable stops). On two quick trips to Southern Oregon (up and over the Siskiyou mountains) I got almost 27 mpg for the entire trip.

·
Registered
2012 3.6R OB Limited - Moonroof - Ice Silver
296 Posts
Highway no more than 25-26. Mine usually registers 26.4-27.0 on the mpg gage after a long highway drive, but the computer is always 1.2-2.0 mpg high after hand calculating it. This is with crossbars stored, tires at 36-37 psi, and driving with an eye towards efficiency. I've never gotten below 20 mpg on a full tank with at least 50% stop and go highway/city driving.

I'm not disappointed per se, I just thought I would be able to squeeze out a few more mpg's with good driving habits. I'm actually in a 2.5 loaner today getting my stereo looked at and I was able to register 36 mpg on the 10-mile trip from the dealer to work. I am fairly jealous.

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
Mileage average so far at 1400 miles is 25.5 mpg. My computer and hand calculations are virtually the same. I am very pleased with the mileage and have not done less than 23 mpg which is way better than I expected.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have gotten 29-30, but that is in Nevada driving at 65 mph on rural highways like US 6 between Ely and Tonopah which is 160 miles with zero towns and a straight road.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 3.6R Premium
1,104 Posts
On the road, I usually get 25-28, with an occasional 29 or 30..

Around town, usually around 20-22, with an occasional 18 or 19..

My most recent in town tanks were 22.96, 21.42, and 20.18.

The most recent road trip I have #'s for was over 3100 miles. 9 tanks with a total average of 25.97. The three lows were 23.81, 24.85, and 24.38. The three highs were 27.02, 27.73, 28.92.

·
Registered
166 Posts
It's mileage like this that makes the 3.6 a no-go when considering a Subaru. Our current ride (the SAAB in sig gets 25/30) with a 220hp turbocharged 2.3l 4 cyl., and we've decided we won't take a hit on mileage. The good news is that we drove a 2013 2.5 Outback a few weeks ago, and were very pleasantly surprised by the power in an engine that will give us the mileage we're used to.

Digression: It's still troubling to me that we're changing from an engine designed in the '80s (the SAAB B245 engine saw light of day in 1986), and so very, very few contemporary cars of comparable size, with the exception of hybrids and diesels, can deliver any better fuel economy.

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
Did your Saab have all wheel drive?
That causes a good chunk of mileage loss.
I could not stand the engine and transmission noise of the 2.5L at freeway speeds thus the 3.6L.
I could care less about a couple miles to the gallon loss vs the 2.5L.
To each their own.
There is a reason most of the German car makers are going to turbo engines, plain and simple improved mileage while not sacrificing performance.
My 340hp BMW gets around 29-30 mpg on the freeway and has twin turbos and weighs 4000 pounds. I can live with that.
If Subaru would import a turbo diesel that had good performance I would buy one in a second but that isn't going to happen. You can get 30% fuel mileage improvement alone from the btu per volume increase you get with a heavier fuel. There are ways to get improved fuel mileage for Subarus but SOA will not import them as far as we know in this country. I don't know if Canada even gets that option either...

·
Registered
2013 Limited w/EyeSight
352 Posts
Digression: It's still troubling to me that we're changing from an engine designed in the '80s (the SAAB B245 engine saw light of day in 1986), and so very, very few contemporary cars of comparable size, with the exception of hybrids and diesels, can deliver any better fuel economy.
Auto makers are investing in new engines with turbo, diesels, and improving naturally aspirated engines. They might not be in a model that has exactly what you're looking for but it's happening.

We had good luck with a turbo gasoline engine (Volvo 5 cyl) but many I know who had those, Saabs and others had significant expenses with turbo repairs on cars that were otherwise serviceable. Some of the turbo cars I checked out while shopping for the Outback required premium fuel which is something we didn't want to repeat.

Finally we looked at weight and full-time all wheel drive as factors. That made some of the mileage data make more sense to me.

Back to the Outbacks, I'm glad both engines run with regular gasoline.

I would rejoice in all the choices out there even if it means one changes brand or allegiance because I remember when we didn't have so many choices as consumers.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Auto makers are investing in new engines with turbo, diesels, and improving naturally aspirated engines. They might not be in a model that has exactly what you're looking for but it's happening.

We had good luck with a turbo gasoline engine (Volvo 5 cyl) but many I know who had those, Saabs and others had significant expenses with turbo repairs on cars that were otherwise serviceable. Some of the turbo cars I checked out while shopping for the Outback required premium fuel which is something we didn't want to repeat.

Finally we looked at weight and full-time all wheel drive as factors. That made some of the mileage data make more sense to me.

Back to the Outbacks, I'm glad both engines run with regular gasoline.

I would rejoice in all the choices out there even if it means one changes brand or allegiance because I remember when we didn't have so many choices as consumers.
The SAAB is strictly FWD, and they were pretty much the pioneer in turbocharging a regular passenger vehicle (1978). I have read some bad stuff on forums about turbochargers, but we have had four turbocharged SAABs and never a turbo issue (and one of these was well used). The big issue with turbochargers is to make very sure they're getting the correct oil (something heavy enough, but with good pumpability, the Mobil 1 0W-40 we use in our turbocharged SAAB being one of the best choices), so that oil is getting circulated to the turbo right away, and a top synthetic will be less subject to coking. The only reason we're leaving SAAB is because, well, they ain't making any more....and the Subaru seems to be one of the best alternatives.

·
Registered
2011 3.6R Limited w/Moonroof
87 Posts
I'm averaging 22.3 mpg over the past two months in the Metro DC area. The best I've gotten is 28.7 mpg going from DC to NYC at 70-75 mph with little traffic to kill the numbers. The worst has been around 18 mpg. The EPA figures seem to be spot on.

The car's trip computer is fairly close though it reads about 1-2 mpg higher than what I calculate.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Limited, Graphite Gray & 2002 Chevy Suburban LS 2500 4x4 6.0 V-8(Retired) 2009 Chevy Suburban LS 2500 4x4 6.0
94 Posts
I have 15,000 miles so far, overall avg is about 20mpg, I do 70% suburban driving and get anywhere between 17-20mpg. Recently went from NY to Maine, had cruise set to 70mph w/very light traffic, display read 28.8mpg, hand calculated over 2 tanks got me 27.5mpg, no complaints here !!! Up in northern Maine there was a section of I-95 that was 75mph, I sent cruise to 80mph and noticed my mpg started to drop a few tenths, at that speed I guess aerodynamics starts really affecting mileage. Tire pressure was 36psi front, 34psi rear. Not heavily loaded, crossbars tucked in......

·
Registered
2012, Outback, 3.6R
129 Posts
I have about 15,000 and drive the speed limit after being obsessed with MPG with my last car (TDI). My average MPG since I purchased is 24.6 MPG.

·
Registered
2013 Outback - 3.6R Limited, EyeSight/Nav/MoonRoof/Kitchen Sink.
683 Posts
With 715 miles on the odo and on the 2nd tank of gas, I've got 21.9MPG on the clock-o-meter. This tank has all been city driving.

·
Registered
2012 SUBARU OUTBACK 3.6 LIMITED, ICE SILVER
42 Posts
City 19-20, highway 26-27, no drama , can't think any other 4wd 6cy suv beat this, the vw tiguan has similar gas mileage, use premium and far less power and room.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts