Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I've searched a few times but can't find any answers. Hopefully you all can steer me in the right direction.

Here's the problem. When it gets cold here (in Ohio) my gas pedal gets hard to depress. It feels like it gets stuck on something. My car starts fine, but I find that I have to jab at the pedal to get the pedal to move.

After a few minutes, it's works like normal.

Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,627 Posts
could be a gummed-up throttlebody needs cleaning or a bad cable.

I suppose it's worth checking the cables at the throttle because i THINK there was a recall to install a spring-clip to keep the cruise control cable from 'jumping track' and it may beloose/missing interfering. Seems unlikely as i can't imagine it would be temp related.

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,771 Posts
Is this a case of the first press or two it seems to be stuck closed, but after you overcome this initial resistance it moves freely? If so, this is probably similar to a known Toyota issue.

The throttle plate fits pretty snugly within the throttle body, and being aluminum, the throttle body expands and possibly even changes shape slightly with heat. And it contracts when it cools. If the body develops a wear groove at the bottom edge where the throttle plate contacts it, and especially if there is some carbon buildup, it can get jammed in when the car cools down. Once you free it, it now comes to a rest each time on top of this spot, rather than be 'dug in'.

Solution is to remove the air cleaner box and inspect the contact surfaces for physical damage from the steel plate against the aluminum body, or for crud buildup that has the same effect. Most likely a lifting of the throttle plate and cleaning of both the plate edge and the body with a carb cleaner soaked rag will do the trick.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is this a case of the first press or two it seems to be stuck closed, but after you overcome this initial resistance it moves freely?

Yes, that's what it does. This is the first winter I've driven this vehicle, so I'm only speculating that the temperature has something to do with it because on warmer days (+40 degrees) it doesn't seem to stick.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3 2001 Outbacks, 2 AT, 1 MT. 1 2006 Outback AT, 2000 Outback AT, 2008 Outback Sport MT
93 Posts
I had a similar problem a few years back where I would have to "stab" the accelerator after starting the car to get it loose. I ended up removing and cleaning the throttle body and then took some emery cloth and very lightly polished the throat as a very tiny ridge had built up. That was probably around 100k, and I'm at 170k now and the problem hasn't returned.

JP

1 - 8 of 8 Posts