Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had this issue off and on and during weather that is warm with high humidity. I get a gas smell underneath, but can't locate any leak, all dry. The recent occurrence happen yesterday after filling tank about 3/4th full. Smelled afterwards some and carried into the next day with humid air. I plan to keep checking, there is a cold front with dry air coming in tonight so will see if it still smells. i looked closely at the fuel neck but did not see any wet spots. About an hour ago I tighten the gas cap thinking it might not be on tight. This is a 1998 model. Any ideas on what is going on appreciated. If the smell stays, plan to have mechanic check.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,165 Posts
when you smell it open the hood, plenty of gas lines there to leak.

problem is it dissipates so fast,.. so if you find a place where you see some leaky gas, make sure you take a pic of it for your mechanic.

when I have had them happen in the past the 20F temps were what was opening up a rubber to metal line under the hood. and I had to point right at the place where I saw the dampness to my mechanic,....and he still had to leave the car outside on a cold and look for it in the morning.
(in my case one of the more typical places for leaks at the passenger front of the USDM 2002 type H4 engine).

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,605 Posts
Rusty fuel filler neck?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The fuel filler neck near the top is getting rusty and some good rusting back of tire a little ways down the neck. I am wondering if small leak is in that area. Will have to keep my eye on it. Smell does seem to originate from that area. My son has a similar 1998 Subaru and his fuel neck did rust out where it eventually visibly leaked on the ground. He did get it repaired. Mine is rusted but no wet spots observed or visible so far.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts