Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5 Limited
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 2.5 Limited 2k miles. After every fill up a gas smell permiates rear of cabin and can be smelled outside rear of car too. Usually disappears after about 40 miles. Before I go to the dealer and he tries to teach me how to fill up my car rather than fix this problem , I thought I'd see if this is happening to others. Simple fillup - no top off - no drips. No check engine light. Happens every time. Lasts for about 40 miles.

FYI, my 30 year old BMW once had this problem and it was related to a blocked hose coming from the fuel filler pipe.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

·
Registered
'18 Accord EX-L 2.0t; Wife's car: '16 3.6r Ltd. w/ Eyesight
855 Posts
Sorry I can't help you out, but I had the same issue in my '97 Maxima a couple years ago. I didn't bother getting it looked at; I just made sure not to fill it past 3/4 of a tank and that did the trick. It got old real quick so I sold it.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
rusty fuel filler neck/pipe. buy another and install it in 30 minutes to an hour.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,126 Posts
^^^ hope not in a '13

next time you feel it will do the symptom, arrange to take the service writer with you to fill-up the car. Or insist they have the technician do it.

·
Registered
2013 2.5 Limited
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Car is 3 months old so I doubt its a rusty fuel filler pipe and selling it is not an option

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited
6 Posts
Do you see signs of leaking gas around the filler neck? On the ground? My 2011 was overflowing on fill up from the beginning. Sometimes it would be evident on the outer panel, but most times it ran down the inside of the quarterpanel. Most every time, it would end up on the ground, so I knew it was overflowing. After two trips to the dealer (the second time I was armed with video) they finally replaced the gas tank. It hasn't leaked a drop since.

·
Registered
2013 2.5 Limited
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess this is not a common problem based on the number of replies. I was hoping I wasn't alone.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 Premium
721 Posts
We've smelled gas occasionally after a fillup. It goes away after awhile. I suspect some fuel runs down around the filler neck. Maybe that's why it's recommended not to top off the tank.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,126 Posts
We've smelled gas occasionally after a fillup. It goes away after awhile. I suspect some fuel runs down around the filler neck. Maybe that's why it's recommended not to top off the tank.
the reason it's a bad idea to consistently 'top-off' is because the charcoal canister will become saturated.

It's unlikely rounding up the nearest twentyfive cents would be a problem, but really, you should stop when the pump shuts off.

·
Registered
2013 2.5 Limited
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FYI, I do not top off. Still smells in cargo area for first 50 miles after fillup.

·
Registered
2013 2.5 Limited
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so I fill it up and take it directly to dealer and it smells of gas and they agree that it smells - of course they find nothing wrong and basically accuse me of topping up. There next suggestion is to let them fill it up next time.

Anybody know where the charcoal canister is located???

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Buy an aftermarket gas tank cap and test it, if you smell the gas. I have noticed that 13OB's cap does not "crank", when you tighten the cap - not sure why. But all aftermarket ones do...could be the cracked thread on OEM gas tank cap or some kind of a leak in that cap.

·
Registered
2013 2.5 Limited
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cap clicks and smell is gone after a day or two - I would think a broken cap would smell all the time. I notice a lot of smell under the driver side near the door. Filled it up yesterday, no top up, different pump, gas smell present all day. No gas smell this morning.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
That is bizarre ... I would still try a brand new aftermarket gas cap...

·
Registered
2013 2.5 Limited
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am thinking that the fuel evaporative system has a problem - perhaps not connected properly at the factory - Only 4k miles. Probably need to get under the car after a fillup - although the dealer supposedly did this already. Odd that the check engine light does NOT come on though.

·
Registered
18,728 Posts
Absence of any warning lights is odd. However, some of the evap system integrity self-tests take place only on under certain conditions, and only once, rather than continuously, and I guess it's possible that the car might not satisfy those conditions.

For example, one test is conducted only when the car is highway cruising under light throttle, after fully warming up, and only when the fuel level is between 1/4 and 3/4 full. There's another (new) test on the 2013 that is done about 4-6 hours after the car is parked -- there's been questions here about it because apparently there's a distinct sound coming from the car at that time (even though the car is parked, key is out etc.).

Take the dealer up on the offer to fill the tank. Use that to get any uncertainties about filling out of the way.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Premium/DDD Graphite Gray Metallic OP#2 Weathertec Window Deflectors
405 Posts
Isn't there a fuel filter in the gas tank????? That could be bad. They moved them in 2006 I think.
I believe it's under the back seat with fuel pump,It's one or both are bad, I bet.

·
Registered
2013 2.5 Limited
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Its a year later and the gas smell is still a persistent problem although it appears the smell only enters the cabin if I open the hatch. Usually lasts several hours after a fillup and no I never top up. The car sits outside - if it didn't the garage would smell of gas. Dealer replicated the problem but did not have a solution and started making noises about whether it was within 'normal' tolerances. Am I correct in assuming no one else has this problem? FYI, I've owned a lot of cars and am not hallucinating.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts