Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hung the filler and locked it to fill. When it clicked full the force of the click knocked the handle out of the fill tube and tumbled down the side of the car making two dings. The attendant told me it was a corporate issue, corporate assured me the owner was responsible. Contacted him and I have a meeting with him later today.

You can see one small one by the panel gap, the larger one along the fender.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Outback
48 Posts
ouch, that took the clear coat and the paint off

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,434 Posts
Get a small tube of touch-up paint from the parts counter at the dealer. It will come in handy for more than just that.

Maybe you'll get a free carwash from the gas station for good publicity, but I gotta think they aren't going to cover any damages for something like that. Too many people gas up with no problems for them to admit it's their equipment that's a problem. But good luck, maybe they'll work out some "customer satisfaction" deal for you.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My mother is an attorney and they have the incident on video so my goal is to get a body shop quote and give it to them. If he gives me any grief about it today I will have a letter drafted up threatening legal action. They have no signs displaying not being responsible for damage to your car during filling.

Similar thing happened a couple years ago, someone backed into me and left. Another person put a note with the license plate. We sent them a letter with a quote and they sent a check. Granted, hit and run is different than a gas filler falling. But that is my hopeful outcome.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5L Crimson
28 Posts
I wish you luck. I expect that he will offer a settlement, if your demands are not to big, for good will and economy.

I have not been able to used a pump in auto in my State for a long time; a real pain in winter when gassing a truck. Wonder if it is a law, like the one one they have in New Jersey where you can not fuel your car.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wish you luck. I expect that he will offer a settlement, if your demands are not to big, for good will and economy.

I have not been able to used a pump in auto in my State for a long time; a real pain in winter when gassing a truck. Wonder if it is a law, like the one one they have in New Jersey where you can not fuel your car.
When I jump down to Oregon they have to pull for me. Years of driving and muscle memory I hop out the car but they do it instead, trips me out every time!

·
Premium Member
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,544 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The station has security cameras pointed in every direction so they have video of it.

·
Premium Member
2019 2.5i Limited PZEV, EyeSight, Magnetite Gray Metallic, Black Interior
219 Posts
Let me get this straight ... you left a gasoline filler nozzle unattended, probably in view of the "never leave pump nozzle unattended" sign that's in every gas station I've been in, and it fell out and dinged your car. Now instead of being embarrassed and contrite after potentially causing a spill or worse, and addressing this situation yourself, you intend to sic your mother on a small business owner and ask her to abuse the legal system and make vague threats of legal action over what amounts to a tiny ding in an insignificant place on your car.

This notion is the very definition of what is wrong with America and I hope a group of corporate lawyers clean your clock for fun.

Here's another route:

Buy some touchup paint, get over the ding in your car, and admit you made a mistake. Then apologize to the station owner for dropping his/her pump nozzle and promise to be more careful in the future.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was next to it when it fell, it was not unattended. Their equipment failure, and potential major safety hazard, is not my embarrassing mistake. My mother offerred to help if the small business owner first chooses to disregard. I have since spoken with him and he is willing to help.

What's right with America is if you can fight for what you believe in. In this particular Instance, which you were not involved in, I believe my car was damaged by equipment I was using correcrly. So I am choosing to fight for the damage to be repaired.

There you go GrumpyPants.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
Let me get this straight ... you left a gasoline filler nozzle unattended, probably in view of the "never leave pump nozzle unattended" sign that's in every gas station I've been in, and it fell out and dinged your car. Now instead of being embarrassed and contrite after potentially causing a spill or worse, and addressing this situation yourself, you intend to sic your mother on a small business owner and ask her to abuse the legal system and make vague threats of legal action over what amounts to a tiny ding in an insignificant place on your car.

This notion is the very definition of what is wrong with America and I hope a group of corporate lawyers clean your clock for fun.

Here's another route:

Buy some touchup paint, get over the ding in your car, and admit you made a mistake. Then apologize to the station owner for dropping his/her pump nozzle and promise to be more careful in the future.
+1.....I suspect the nozzle was not fully placed in the tank...but hey lawyering up and getting someone else to pay for our mistakes has become the American way..... :rolleyes:

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,343 Posts
Reminder:

If folks can't be civil, they shouldn't post.

Or they won't be able to for long.

Reactions: jsgntulok

·
Registered
Hopefully future Subaru. Currently Santa Fe.
17 Posts
Wow. Maybe it's a Canadian thing, but I've never seen or heard of a gas pump that locks in place to fill. I've only ever seen ones that you have to hold the entire time you're filling. I've seen or heard of people that jamb a block of wood, or the gas cap into the handle, but I'm pretty sure that's illegal here.

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,434 Posts
Wow. Maybe it's a Canadian thing, but I've never seen or heard of a gas pump that locks in place to fill. I've only ever seen ones that you have to hold the entire time you're filling. I've seen or heard of people that jamb a block of wood, or the gas cap into the handle, but I'm pretty sure that's illegal here.
Dunno about Canada, but in the US they generally stay in place, if you have put them in solidly and make sure they are in far enough. Some places require a vapor recovery system that fits around the whole fuel filler tube to catch fumes. I haven't used one of those for a long time, but they also seem pretty sturdy and I don't think they are supposed to dispense if they aren't properly aligned. I've never had a nozzle fall out, or seen it happen, or heard of it happening until now and I've fueled up vehicles for almost 50 yrs. That doesn't mean it wasn't a one time problem with the equipment though.

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
Yeah in the US in many states the Self Serve pumps do have the locks in place.

I know in Ontario they are removed and you have to hold the pump handle to get it to fuel. Sucks in the winter!

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
Must be a Canadian thing. At most every station in the US I have used you can lock the pump. Allows you to check the fluids and wash the windows while fueling up. Back pressure of fuel once the tank is full will kick off the lock.

I've been fueling my vehicles and others when I was a gas jockey for almost 50 years. Have never seen a nozzle fly out of the tank when it shuts off unless it wasn't inserted correctly to start with.

Curious to know why Canada doesn't allow the locks.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i crystal white pearl
472 Posts

Here's another route:

I agree with everything grumpysquatch stated above, mess something up and blame someone else, and make them pay. The world has gone crazy!!

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
1,358 Posts
Curious to know why Canada doesn't allow the locks.
Reduces the risk of spillage.

Apparently some folks drive off with the nozzle still in the tank, if you're there then you will put the nozzle back in its cradle.

Static electricity. If you set the nozzle to fill and go in your car to warm up, you could build up some static electricity and if it discharges around the gas fumes, could ignite.

Basically a lot of IFs and Maybes, but testing shows it can happen and that is enough to put in regulations.

Source: Wheels.ca columnist

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5, Ice Silver
889 Posts

LOCK HIM UP! LOCK HIM UP! LOCK HIM UP!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.