Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Just to try and clarify that, is it showing below the full mark when a fillup is done (guess not, since you seem to think it is full) or is it running low much sooner than expected?

Reason I ask is because my '94 GMC truck's gauge was always reading full when after topping off the tank and yet would only take in 18 gallons at the most when I ran it all the way to empty (including stalling for lack of gas) while the gauge showed to be just touching the E mark.

I purposely tried to find out how much gas would fit after it ran empty by carrying a gas can with me. It was a 20 gallon tank so, for whatever reason, it never accepted any more than 18 gallons even when gradually filling it bit by bit toward the end. I could only reason it had about 2 gallons of unusable gas. Most times when I filled it up after getting down to 1/4 tank it only took 15 to 16 gallons.

Anyway, yours sounds like it might have a faulty sending unit, or the gauge itself isn't right.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The gauge registers full after fill-up then seems to go down at an even rate. At last fill up I put in 10.3 gallons. Before fill-up the gauge was at E. I might have to try the gas can in the car method just to see for sure if is the gauge or not.

What I was really wondering was are there any Subaru's tanks that are 11 gallons?

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
*G* I like the first time I ever gassed my 98, just putting in $10 - I got back in, and there was almost no change in the fuel rating. I thought, how much gas does it take to fill this?!

Turns out, the gauge averages readings over time, and it slowly creeps up to the correct reading. Still, that was good for a thrill...

:eek:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
The_Lizard
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing