Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
00 OBW, 01 Legacy
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my gates timing belt kit with water pump in the mail this week for my 2000 Outback. Part #TCKWP307. The belt is made in USA. Pulleys and tensioner Japan. Water pump China. Not what I was wishing for but I am not going to knock everything that comes from China. I don't think Gates would put there name on junk nor would Napa sell junk(I hope). Also came with pump gasket and looks like a thermostat gasket as well. Price on amazon was $180 where as Napa $400. Huge savings! My only issue was the water pump gasket found it's way under the water pump in shipping and cut the gasket like a knife. It was only $4 at Napa for a new one. I will let you know if anything fails on me

·
Registered
2004 Outback H4 5 speed manual
42 Posts
Hey, I just put the same kit into my 04 OBW (the TCKWP307). I can confirm that the extra circular gasket is for the thermostat. Looking at the water pump in my kit, it looked of decent quality and the bearings felt smooth. I'm not that worried about it. I've only put on about 1,500 kms on mine since I installed everything, but I haven't had any issues so far. BTW, the belt is pretty tight, so I installed it before putting on two pulleys. That made it much much easier.

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,454 Posts
I personally think the Gates timing belt kits are some of the highest quality aftermarket kits you can buy. My only question is if the belt is good for 105k or should more realistically be replaced at 60k.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
the aftermarket water pump gaskets aren't as good as the Subaru water pump gaskets - they are a stamped metal design that's far superior to the aftermarket cardboard junk.

·
Registered
00 OBW, 01 Legacy
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have some warnings for this kit. The water pump and pulleys are very heavy and tend to bang around during transport. My water pump gasket was cut in half when I opened the box. The water pump itself was also damaged. A pulley left a big ding where the thermostat seats and it began to leak after I put it together. I used some RTV sealent to fix. Stuff to watch out for. Maybe I have bad luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts