Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
5,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now folks, please don't turn this into any type of negative hate fest. This is actually a prominent discussion of Subaru's marketing and how they to to reach out to everyone. Anyway I've been hearing about this subject for quite a while now, mainly from the guys over at NABISCO (hmmm... makes you wonder :p). tattgerl decided to email me this to poke fun at me and Subaru owners in general,

Fortune 500 Companies See Money in Gay Families

Tuesday, May 25, 2004
By Catherine Donaldson-Evans

...More common are companies that aggressively market to the gay population as a whole — like IBM and Subaru.

Subaru sold a total of 89,607 vehicles in the U.S. in 1993 when it began targeting the same-sex segment, according to Tim Bennett, director of marketing programs at Subaru of America (search). Last year, 186,819 Subarus were sold in this country.

“Can I say it’s helped? Not definitively, but our sales have increased over the last nine years,” Bennett said. “There’s certainly been growth in it for us. Our purchase consideration within that group has risen.”

One of the Subaru ads targeting the same-sex demographic carries the slogan: “Different drivers, different roads, one car.” The company has done extensive research on how to reach gay consumers, used a gay ad agency and marketed in gay media, according to Bennett.

But plenty of large corporations are being more cautious about marketing to the same-sex demographic, considering the controversy surrounding gay issues.

“Everybody is kind of taking a wait-and-see approach,” Cohen said. “The backlash could be greater than the growth rate. That’s why a lot of brands are holding off.”

Of course, any marketing strategies in big business are based on one thing, and one thing alone. It’s the bottom line, stupid.

“The list of blue chip advertisers (targeting) gay media is getting longer and longer,” Advertising Age’s Johnson said. “There’s money to be made here. Corporate America is happy.”
I will say that I have a ton of gay friends, I recieve ridicule from many although neither bothers me. I have no problem with that type of lifestyle that is unless someone trys to force whatever beliefs they may have about it upon me. I don't totally agree with it and will never be a part of it, but I won't disagree with someone who wants to take part in it.

Now that I've explained my thoughts on the matter, I don't really know what to think of Subaru marketing in that way. I think its good that Subaru is marketing to whoever, or even if its just percieved in that way. Heck send every Subaru owner here! I don't care if they're gay, straight, Muslim, Nepalese, Communist, or EVEN Australian :p :D As long as they primarily discuss Subaru related stuff they can stay and do just about anything they want here at Outback.org ;)

·
Registered
MY99 3rd Gen Outback GX, 2004 Lexus RX330 Sport Luxury
242 Posts
Hero Boots said:
I don't care if they're gay, straight, Muslim, Nepalese, Communist, or EVEN Australian :p :D
Hey watch it Mr Boots ! :p :D

And I agree with you, whatever marketing strategy works for them is fine. I'm well and truely hetrosexual, but I'm definitely not a homophobe. I think I can speak for Kevin and the rest of the Moderators in stressing that "gay bashing" will not be tolerated here ;)

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
Does that mean that Aussie bashing is allowed?? :eek:

·
Registered
Liberty/Legacy 3.0R spec B
172 Posts
Break out the champagne. We must be an economic force here in Australia as people are starting to hate us. It's just like being an American! :7:

·
5,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jondalar said:
Does that mean that Aussie bashing is allowed?? :eek:
Come now Karl, I will only allow Aussie bashing if it is by a mod here. Although if comically tasteful, other members can do it as well :p Hey we Yanks recieve enough from yous guys as well :D

subah6 said:
Break out the champagne. We must be an economic force here in Australia as people are starting to hate us. It's just like being an American! :7:
Ha! Oh how the fated truth is just that in all you say :4: ;) :D

·
Registered
MY04 Outback 3.0
75 Posts
I think its been well documented that Subaru targets the gay market in America. But I believe in driving the car and not in sterotyping, if it makes me gay just because I drive a Subaru.. then.. all BMW drivers here in Australia must have jobs as real estate agents, all Porsche drivers have small weenies and camry drivers are retirees? :D

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
*G* that sounds like the ScoobyNet people when they talk about Audi TT drivers... hairdressers, all!

I was wondering if the gay marketing issue was going to pop up here. Subaru has had the nickname Lesbaru for a long time. It doesn't matter much to me; if anyone mistakes me for a lesbian, they need new glasses.

·
I need a fog horn, ,
2004 Outback Sport
212 Posts
When I told one of my oldest friends that I bought a Subaru- he asked "Isn't that a lesbian's car?"
I retorted with "Well, I'm just a lesbian trapped in a man's body!" that got a pretty good laugh from him.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
If window decals are any indication, it seems to me that the typical lesbian ride is a Ford Ranger or other small pickup - that's where I usually see the double-headed axe emblem.

Other emblems, like the rainbow strip or the yellow equals sign on a blue background, seem to appear on just about any type of vehicle.

Personally, I'd never advertise an alternative sexuality on the car, too many strange and nasty people out there who might take it as an excuse to do bad.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
hvlwnc said:
When I told one of my oldest friends that I bought a Subaru- he asked "Isn't that a lesbian's car?"
I retorted with "Well, I'm just a lesbian trapped in a man's body!" that got a pretty good laugh from him.
Yeah I have no problem at all being referred to as a lesbian trapped in a man's body :D

·
Registered
'04 Colorado, '90 Legacy sedan
137 Posts
I must be honest here, I am a firm believer that we are made a certian way for a certain purpose.

When I learned not too long ago that Subaru targeted homosexuals I was not happy. On this topic, for me ignorance was bliss.

BUT!!!! On the other hand, I know our societies revolve on the all mighty [currency] AND in the end personally I want Subarus to be well represented in the aftermarket and the rest of the world! So, as in all areas of life we learn to accept each other and in the process improve ourselves mentally and spiritually.

We here at SubaruOutback already know that we have one of the all time best vehicles ever made... period. It is all the better to increase the number of owners of our beloved marque, no matter what. Besides, I have always loved Subarus since the first ones I laid eyes on in '71[@ age 6]!

Hope I was not too preachy, I love our cars and I am glad more people are also seeing their worth.

Thanks
Todd

·
Registered
Obsidian Black 2005 Outback 2.5XT 5 Speed Wagon & Brilliant Silver 2005 Legacy 2.5GT Wagon 5MT
174 Posts
Gays love Subaru? Big deal. We also love other cars.... Saab, VW, Audi, etc. SMART gays love Subaru!

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Certainly have never seen a car advertising campaign aimed at Gays here in Australia.. Anyhow, I think you might find the latest shift in car advertising will be safety, was just reading how buyers here now value safety features as much as a CD player, woohoo!! It also seems Subaru Australia broke an unwritten agreement amongst car makers here never to boast about Crash Safety Ratings. Now the only reason I can think of to have such an unwritten agreement is if all the local mnufacturers had such poor ratings nothing good could come from being able to boast about a good rating... Of course Subaru now has one of the safest ranges of vehicles on the market here now, across all models, so why not boast about it. :D A car can never be "too safe"!

Volvo used to be the only make promoting safety but abandoned that for their "Bloody Volvo" driver campaign, seem it was bad timing just as safety was becoming something more people were putting priority on.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
Obsidian Black 2005 Outback 2.5XT 5 Speed Wagon & Brilliant Silver 2005 Legacy 2.5GT Wagon 5MT
174 Posts
Good point. Here in the States, it's all about horsepower and safety. Alot of our long time customers had some comlaints about the reclassification of the Outback as a light truck. However, the features that the same long time customers had asked for are the very same features that cause it to be classified as a light truck... more ground clearence, factory tinted windows, greater towing capacity, etc.

What most people forget about is that this reclassification is a HUGE marketing point for Subaru. The Outback will now be a class leader in just about everything. Standard features, safety, crash test ratings, warranty coverage, and fuel economy just to name a few. Subaru has been telling us for the last year that they are trying to create a more premium view of the Legacy and Outback. This has been evident in the first wave of 2005 model sales. The majority of trade ins have been older Outbacks, but we've seen several Volvos, a Mercedes C Class, and a Lexus! If Saab keeps up with the general downward spiral with the "Saabaru" and the disgusting rebadged TrailBlazer (9-7X) I'm sure many Saab loyalist will become Subaru owners.

·
5,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Todd, Karl, and Mr. New Yoiker (yes with an "i") all of your points were very well said :)

NYC, jeez its hard getting people to listen to you about how the reclassification of the Outback is a good thing. Its too bad that the typical American would rather try to pick out (and fabricate) every single negative about everything rather than look at the multiple positive aspects of something that really is a good idea :rolleyes:

The ONLY negative thing I can see about the reclassification is that it may cause your insurance rate to go up slightly.

Rant button OFF! :soapbox:

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
One thing about Subarus as a choice of ride for gays, that always seemed to make sense to me, is the way they are reliable both mechanically and in terms of not getting stuck.

Imagine being a lesbian cruising the countryside, would you want to have to rely on Joe Sixpack to pull you out of a ditch with a truck? Or out of a snowpile in the city?

I figure that gays move around in a society that is generally hostile to them, and sometimes dangerously so. So why not choose a vehicle that will reliably get you to your destination in just about any weather?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Funny how timing goes, just last night watched an episode of a US show called "The L Word" which is about a group of Lesbians. I find it an interesting show, it's on regular Tv here but I think on cable over there? Anyway, main character that used to drive a SAAB is now driving a Forester XT (played by Jennifer Beals from Flashdance fame) and low and behold the up and coming female tennis star gets to do a magazine advert for Subaru!! With the motto "Come Out and Stay Out" (Of course the ad campaign "outs" her to her parents, which is not pretty)

Interesting coincidence considering the timing of this thread starting.:eek:

·
Registered
174 Posts
That remains to be seen. We're getting hosed through Liberty Mutual for our two Subies.... even with the 10% Subaru discount!

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Wow you guys/gals sure are reading into that general info. I thought Subaru's were the choice of Tree Huggers, now Gay Tree Hugger's? It doesn't bother me at all about the press or anything else on who likes what. Just like most of us don't care who like's what. Just reading this thread confirms that most of us are okay with whatever correlation Subies have with anything.

Open minds are great..............and yes, I am married! Brian

·
Registered
174 Posts
EXACTLY!

I am NOT married... NY State won't allow it.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts