Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'13 BBP SAP 2.5
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can get the geico 7yr/100k mile "mechanical Breakdown" for about $30 a year. So, about $210 over the 7 years. Decut is high - $250

The 7/100k gold with $100 Deduct is ~ $1050.

Has anyone else used the Geico Mechanical Breakdown option before? I know it locks you into Geico.... which is one negative (besides high deduct).

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
Personally I've had great experiences with my Geico insurance. I've had 3 claims over the past 5 years and they come to me to give me my estimate and have always been very fair.

I'd be more concerned with what they consider a "mechanical breakdown". The Subaru warranty is pretty far reaching in that it covers lots of electrical and other convinience items that Geico may not consider a mechanical breakdown. Can you get a list from them? I know Subaru has a brochure that highlights everything they cover.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Premium - Former: Golf TDI
481 Posts
Actually the MBI will typically cover "more" than the Subaru extended- in fact, it covers basically anything that isn't wear and tear, no exclusions so to speak (unless you knowingly harmed something, etc). MBI requires that you pay a $250 deductible with each and every "issue" that arises if they are unrelated. Say that your sunroof, your thermostat, and your odometer are all malfunctioning- you would pay $750 in deductible since they're "unrelated" issues. I don't know how Subaru's warranty pans out for deductibles.

In all reality, you're paying for an extra 64,000 miles of bumper-to-bumper and 40,000 miles of powertrain warranty. It would probably be worth it in the case of a CVT or total engine failure, but again you would only have coverage on those for an additional 40,000 miles over powertrain since MBI expires at 100,000 miles or 7 years. MBI is CHEAP compared to Subaru gold (I think it would cost me about $25/year right now). Hope this helps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.