Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Outback DOHC 2.5L
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello...I know it's here somewhere, but I have been searching for 45 minutes now...How do you get the car to display it's engine trouble codes w/o a scanner? I have a '99 Outback. Thank you in advance...Bob:)

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,304 Posts
Thread moved to proper forum.

And I'm not sure if what you are asking can be done.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
You can access the DTC codes for 2005-2009 cars, not aware of that facility working in any other years, apart from the previously mentioned auto Trans blink count codes.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,755 Posts
Hello...I know it's here somewhere, but I have been searching for 45 minutes now...How do you get the car to display it's engine trouble codes w/o a scanner? I have a '99 Outback. Thank you in advance...Bob:)
Just go to a parts store in the area and ask if they will pull the codes.

·
Registered
2006 WX8: my "Outback" > yours
997 Posts
That generation has a loose diagnostic connector under the dash, normally used for transmission (if auto), ABS, and airbags. Ii is black with 6 pins, if memory serves. I believe it can still be used to flash engine codes the same way as pre-OBDII cars, by grounding an appropriate pin. But in this day and age, it may not be worth the trouble, because a single old code may correspond to more than one OBDII code, that is, OBDII codes are more useful for pinpointing the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts