04 Outback H6
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have this interesting problem.

Fogs work
Highbeams work
Lowbeams do not work
Daytime running lights do not work
Parking brake switch appears to work (the parking light indicator on the dash comes on and off)

Fuses look good (in both the Fuse Block and the Main block under the hood)

Any ideas?

I'm leaning towards getting a new DRL relay to see if that will fix my problem.

·
Registered
2001 VDC Wagon
202 Posts
Have you checked the bulbs? You could unplug the DRL relay to see if something is giving you trouble there.

·
Registered
04 Outback H6
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First thing I did was replace 1 of the bulbs and it didn't do anything. Then I noticed the DRLs weren't on... which I found odd.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,705 Posts
do the gauge lights work at night?

I've had an odd failure that is intermittent; the DRLs are off and the gauge lighting is extremely dim at night. Then, for no apparent reason, back to normal.

weird

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,464 Posts
The DRL module controls lighting for DRL and low beams because it alters current for each. There could be a problem within the DRL module or your multifunction switch. I've attached wiring diagrams for a 4 light setup. If you have a 2 light, PM me so I'll get an e-mail notification and I will post that one.

Attachments

·
Registered
04 Outback H6
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do the gauge lights work at night?

I've had an odd failure that is intermittent; the DRLs are off and the gauge lighting is extremely dim at night. Then, for no apparent reason, back to normal.

weird
Gauge lights are fine at night. I just run the fogs (since my lows don't work).

Also I replaced the DRL module with another one I bought off ebay and it was still the same.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,972 Posts
Ebay = used?
If so, that's just about like saying you tried a broken part to see if your part was broken too.
Got a test meter? Check for power when the switch is on, at the bulb connector.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,464 Posts
Gauge lights are fine at night. I just run the fogs (since my lows don't work).

Also I replaced the DRL module with another one I bought off ebay and it was still the same.
Well, its time to pull the DVOM out and start tracing wires. You have the diagram above. I would start with checking ground and battery at the bulb and work backward.

·
Registered
04 Outback H6
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So apparently it was actually both the bulbs burnt out.
The first replacement was bad which threw me off.

BTW for anyone else, the daytime running lights ARE the low beams. I made the mistake by thinking they were the high beams.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts