Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2003 LL Bean Outback H6 and 2019 Outback Base
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an LL Bean H6 2003, and after its warmed up( about 5 to 7 minutes) it idles at about 350 to 400 in drive position and about the same in park. I think this is too low

Just wondering if this is normal. What does your car idle at ?

much appreciated

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,483 Posts
650 +/- 50.

Clean the throttle and IACV. If you have a scan tool, check for a rich/lean condition via AF sensor data and LTFT. Is the MIL lit up? Plugs? Misfiring?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had the Iacv and throttle sensor replaced......new plugs.......no light in dash.... I have a scan tool......but when I put on...it said NO codes detected...... very strange

Thank you for info

?

·
Premium Member
15,483 Posts
There won't necessarily be any codes. Sometimes a mechanical issue can occur and the computer doesn't see it as a problem.

You may also want to check the performance of the TPS. If it is sending improper data to the ECM, just off of where it should be in relation to the actual throttle position, it would idle low.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks cardoc......will have it checked out...much appreciated your time......too bad you didnt live closer....................a lot of business would go your way......

What is your opinion on synthetic vs regular oil ?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What if a car used regular oil 5w 30 castrol since DAY ONE................can you change to synthetic ? If so why, and what are the advantages.

much appeciated

·
Premium Member
15,483 Posts
Yes, you can switch. Perform a proper engine flush prior to switching to remove carbon deposits left behind by the conventional oil and the synthetic will perform as though the engine had it all along. Less friction on the internal components which adds to less wear, lower engine loads and better fuel mileage. The synthetic oils adheres to the surfaces better and don't have the breakdown rate of conventional oils. They also withstand high temperatures better.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok.Thanks again Cardoc.........................as always..........a WEALTH of information !!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts