Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to add a pair of lights to the front of my '02 OBW to augment the marginal stock high-beams. I have a pair of Hella 500FFs on my Triumph TR6, and I'm pretty happy with these, so I'm thinking of something similar for the Subaru. The plan would be to use one of the high beam positive lines to trigger a relay (or individual relays) powered directly off the battery, so that the Hellas come on with the high beams. I would run the relay trigger line through a dash-mounted switch to disable the Hellas if necessary. I have a similar arrangement in the TR6.
The issue is - how to mount the Hellas onto the front bumper? I don't really want any sort of "bull-bar" mount, because of both the expense and because I think bull-bars look a little obnoxious for a road-going vehicle. I believe some folks have mounted lights by drilling directly into the bumper, but mounting these into plastic doesn't sit well with me, and I'm not wild about drilling blindly into the bumper. I have yet to pull the bumper to see if there's suitable metal underneath into which to mount the lights through the bumper. Alternatively, some sort of bracket(s) to mount on top of the bumper, although there might be clearance issues with the front edge of the hood. I have searched through the Forum, but most of the (usually Photobucket) photos are blurred out or unavailable.
So, I'd appreciate any suggestions for mounting driving lights/spots to the front. Doesn't have to be 500FFs, but should be road-legal* (monster LEDs or light bars likely won't qualify). I can fabricate brackets - I have someone who can weld for me if necessary - just looking for some inspiration. Thanks in advance.

*I'm assuming that appropriately-wired spots are legal - no-one has bothered me while driving the TR6, the front of which is decked out with the stock headlights, Hella spots, Hella yellow fog lights and LED DRLs. The spots are wired with the high beams, the fogs with the low beams and the DRLs are independently switched

·
Registered
Outbacks, SVXs, XT6, 4Runner, Celica, Brat, E150s
532 Posts
There's not much there that's good for mounting. There's a decent hunk of metal that is the front bumper beam, but it's recessed behind the bumper by ~2" thick piece of Styrofoam and it's not hollow, so you wouldn't be able to drill through it and put nuts on the inside.

Here's a picture of the front core support I bought to repair the crash damage on our '04:

NCM_0810
by Numbchux, on Flickr

The stock fog lights thread into captive nuts welded into the bottom of this.

On my '00, I used strips of steel with a bend in them to share the bolts that the radiator mounts to and drop down into the grill to mount a 22" LED bar in the grill opening.

20191114_180449
by Numbchux, on Flickr

2019-11-18_02-42-25 by Numbchux, on Flickr

There are mounting brackets that share the license plate hardware, but I'm not sure I'd trust that. On my old Celica, I built something like that had supporting parts that went through the grill to the radiator support.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts