Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
- 2002 Outback Wagon, 119K, 5% tint, Yakima Big Powderhound Racks
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Lately when I make a right turn, there seems to be a clicking type noise. I can't tell if it's coming from the front or back, but it only happens on right turns. It is even more pronounced when the car is cold. Could it be a sign of a bad axle? I also looked at the passenger-side front axle and boot, and the boot looks like it's in pretty good shape.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2001 VDC Wagon
202 Posts
Sounds like a bad CV joint. It's most likely one of the front outer joints. Did you look at the driver's side boot? Have someone else drive the car in tight right-hand circles while you're outside listening for the clicking.

·
Registered
- 2002 Outback Wagon, 119K, 5% tint, Yakima Big Powderhound Racks
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I also looked at the drivers side boot, and It looks equally as good as the passenger side. Could it be the wheel side of the axle?

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,305 Posts
If an axle joint is going bad or is bad, the temperature wouldn't really make a difference on the noise occurrence. It will pop regardless of cold or hot.

Now a bearing on the other hand will change with temperature. Especially a wheel bearing that carries a load. If the bearing is dry and the rollers are worn, as it heats up the lubricant within and it thins out, noise increases.

Jack up the wheels with opposing wheels chocked and the transmission in neutral and hold the strut spring with one hand and spin the wheel with the other and feel for vibration in the spring. Also listen for noise.

Right hand turns shift the weight to the left side of the car and left side wheels so if its a bearing it could be on the left, but check all of them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts