Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had this THULE roof rack on my old Grand Cherokee and finally got it installed onto my new (01) Outback Wagon... I had looked around before buying it to see if anyone else had this particular combination - the dual roof setup with THULE rack and wind fairing... none could be found so I'm wondering if anyone else has done this but never posted about it?

I originally installed the rack all the way back, with the front lip of the fairing sitting BETWEEN the sunroofs. The front one pops up and would just barely clear the fairing by 1/16". Then, the rear roof would pop up and slide back, and the fairing would lift up slightly and plop down on the area between the sunroofs. When closing the rear roof, it would lift up again on the fairing and settle down into place, the front roof closes down in front of it, no problems, right? Wrong. The bike carriers were so far back that I couldn't open the tailgate.

So, I moved everything forward and had the fairing sit about half way onto the front sunroof. When it opens, it lifts up on the fairing about 1" - not much weight coming down on it so the sunroof motor doesn't seem to struggle with it at all. This way, I am still able to use both roofs AND open the tailgate...

Pics attached - hope this is helpful to someone...

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Interesting. I just tried this with the fairing that came off my 99 Saab and noticed that it would rest right on the moonroof. I'm guessing you haven't noticed any scratches or anything on the glass yet? That was my only concern. I left it off for now and haven't noticed any wind noise, but I bet the fairing can't hurt the gas mileage if I were to purchase another (the Saab fairing was too wide).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. I just tried this with the fairing that came off my 99 Saab and noticed that it would rest right on the moonroof. I'm guessing you haven't noticed any scratches or anything on the glass yet? That was my only concern. I left it off for now and haven't noticed any wind noise, but I bet the fairing can't hurt the gas mileage if I were to purchase another (the Saab fairing was too wide).

No, the THULE fairing is plastic with little foam "feet" that typically rest on paint. Not worried about scratching glass...

·
Registered
2000 OBWL 2.5, 2005 OBWL 2.5i
15 Posts
Hi, I am very interested in this setup. I have a bunch of Thule parts and want to put them on my 2000 Outback Limited Wagon. (Same setup as you). Thule says they do not have a solution for our cars, so I am interested to know exactly which parts you used to get this mounted up? Which fit kit did you use etc. Many thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback Limited, Manual Transmission
713 Posts
I have a Thule basket (or whatever it's called), not a rack. I have the Limited w/ dual sunroofs too.

I don't keep it on the car (or even the cross bars for that matter) due to weight and not needing it that often.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts