Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 obw 2.5dohc..auto & 99 obw 2.5dohc...auto
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Thought I would just throw my little modification in here and ask for a little bit of opinion. I've been parting out a 2000 obw for awhile now and when I bought it decided "Hey, I really like the look of that shift assembly." Anyway, after some splicing, testing, and careful cutting I managed to make it work. However, now I need some ideas on how best to trim it out. As you'll see from the pictures, I've got a few ideas in the works, but I thought I'd get the opinion of fellow Subie fans as well.

So, waddaya think?

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,483 Posts
Bondo and wire is cheap. Make a mold with fine wire mesh and temporarily cover it with colored paper of your choosing and gauge it from there. The wire will also allow you to make the rise to the shifter in any fashion before making the finished product. Square sides, rounded/slope, etc..

You couldn't swap the center cover? Complete console? Will it fit?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bondo and wire is cheap. Make a mold with fine wire mesh and temporarily cover it with colored paper of your choosing and gauge it from there. The wire will also allow you to make the rise to the shifter in any fashion before making the finished product. Square sides, rounded/slope, etc..

You couldn't swap the center cover? Complete console? Will it fit?
Got plenty o bondo! Now I just need the wire.... I had never thought of that. A friend o my suggested using foam and a hardening spray. That was the original plan.

Tried the complete console, would have had to do a lot of cutting. Actually, the 02-04 Impreza's were a closer fit, but I just decided to go with what I had. The center cover didn't fit just right, so I cut it down. Helped with the looks, but wasn't perfect. The shift assembly is definitely a nice upgrade though. :)

·
Registered
'98 Legacy Outback limited 2.5l with cold weather pkg
20 Posts
Buy some carbon fiber cloth and some resin and make a carbon center console trim :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hows this coming along?
I manage a traveling children's choir for 10 months outta the year so I just got my Roo back last weekend,. I'll be fabricating something in the next few weeks. My plan is to make a mould using wire mesh and covering it with enough fiberglass resin to give my Dremel something to file down precisely. Unfortunately I'll also be selling my Roo at the end of the summer because I don't see the sense in keeping two cars in storage for another 10... :(

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SOOO....finally got around to fabricating my interior piece. As you can see, it's still in the works. Decided to go with Bondo and Fine metal mesh (thanks Cardoc) and bought a Dremel to cut through that bondo. Will keep updates on the progress and its vvvveerrrrryy meticulous.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts