Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Outback 3.0R LL Bean
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a 2008 Outback 3.0R for a few years and I'm not sure if my transmission is acting normally or not. On my way home from work I climb a steep and long hill at about 70mph. Usually after the car has a sustained load the rpms with go up a little. I've also done this in manual mode and basically the more you press the pedal the higher the rpms go.
I've recently bought a 2010 Tribeca that also has a 5EAT though I'm not sure if it's the same exact variant. When I climb that hill the rpms are steady.

Are there differences between the 2008 Outback 5EAT and the 2010 Tribeca? Is it just how the TCU is programmed to behave or are there physical differences? Is it overdrive or transmission slippage?

My car has about 135,000 miles on it and I replaced the ATF fluid and filter with genuine Subaru stuff about a year ago.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Sounds like normal behavior to me. Most likely the torque converter is coming unlocked to allow the engine to make more power...

Reactions: ckwaters

·
Registered
2008 Outback 3.0R LL Bean
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting read. I never knew that about autos. I thought they just have the 5 gears but they act like they have a gear in between as well. I guess the Tribeca just doesn't need to unlock the torque converter because it has the extra torque to make it up the hill with less effort.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,570 Posts
Are there differences between the 2008 Outback 5EAT and the 2010 Tribeca?
  • 2008 Outback LL Bean with H6 engine is the EZ30R - [email protected],600 rpm, torque [email protected] rpm, active valve control, premium fuel recommended
  • 2010 Tribeca H6 engine is the EZ36R - [email protected], torque [email protected] regular fuel OK
  • 5EAT transmission is likely same but final overall ratio differs: 3.272 for OB, 3.583 for TB
  • TB appears to be 500-600 lbs. heavier than OB, depending on option packages
Other specs than what I listed above are shown at Cars101.com, Research Subaru specifications and changes year by year.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 3.0R L.L. Bean
48 Posts
I’m not sure about the tribecca, but the Outback 3.0r has variable valve timing, similar to vtec on a Honda. At around 2600-3000rpm, a more aggressive lobe profile initiates, and then you’ll notice the engine note jumps up in volume/frequency. At that point, when the Subaru vtec hits, the car becomes much more nimble.

Next time you drive, put the car in manual, go into 3rd gear, and slowly accelerate starting at 2400k rpms. You’ll notice the change yourself somewhere in between 2600-3000rpms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 Outback 3.0R L.L. Bean
48 Posts
First 20 seconds explain it here lol (these guys actually take a 3.6 tribecca engine, put it in a legacy, and add a turbo in it in their supergramps series, best show on YouTube!!!!)

This is a more informative video that explains variable valve timing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts