Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has a 2005 outback 2.5 non turbo. Lately we have been noticing some kind of burning smell. Long story short I noticed a coolant drip from the upper radiator hose and Then a leak on the cross over. Anyone know what this gasket is called and how long of a job is the replacement? I live in an HOA neighborhood that frowns upon DIY car repairs :rolleyes:

·
Registered
63 Posts
So you want all of these from rockauto
GATES 19535 water pump side hose
GATES 23460 upper hose
GATES 23609 lower hose
MAHLE C32100 x2 Water Outlet Gasket; Crossover; O-Ring Type
Inlet manifold gaskets .. cos that has to come off
New coolant and worm drive clamps cos the spring ones have gone

·
Registered
63 Posts
On a less cheery note . The head gasket has probably gone. The system is being over pressurized and its found the weak spots. Check for bubbles in the coolant tank when its running.
What usually happens is the radiator cap seizes up after 15 years and the radiator rips apart due to the plastic becoming a bit fragile. If the head gasket is leaking, you've caught it before it really goes bad.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
On a less cheery note . The head gasket has probably gone. The system is being over pressurized and its found the weak spots. Check for bubbles in the coolant tank when its running.
What usually happens is the radiator cap seizes up after 15 years and the radiator rips apart due to the plastic becoming a bit fragile. If the head gasket is leaking, you've caught it before it really goes bad.
No head gasket leaking at all, no over heating, and no coolant bubbling whatsoever. the radiator cap seems to be functioning properly but I swapped it with a new oe cap yesterday car isn’t over heating and runs great. This leak just started.

Should be okay running it for a week or so without changing those o rings? I’ll keep an eye on coolant

I’ve been dealing with a bad head gasket/badly done head gasket job on my 2004 outback 2.5. Actually trading it in today after 4 months of fighting with it

·
Registered
19,629 Posts
Are you sure the green deposit on the top of the engine (2nd photo) is from the crossover pipe o-ring, and not from the seepage at the upper radiator hose? Perhaps use a mirror to see if there are any stains running back along the bottom of the pipe from the radiator hose.

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5i
89 Posts
Sounds like with a little bit of luck you will be fine by having replaced the cap & replacing whatever hoses you might find leaking. I’m optimistic on this one.

·
Registered
2001 Outback 2.5L, 2005 Outback XT Limited
32 Posts
My 05 leaked from the top hose after I did my water pump and timing belt. Bought oem upper hose and oem clamps. Didn’t leak after that.

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i manual
359 Posts

Really looks like it's all coming from the upper radiator hose right at the connection to the crossover pipe. Replace the upper hose and the clamp with OEM units and then reassess. I'm sure that's all you've got going on.

My 05 leaked from the top hose after I did my water pump and timing belt. Bought oem upper hose and oem clamps. Didn’t leak after that.
Exact same thing with me. Tried several aftermarket upper radiator hoses and even got multiple different hose clamps. All eventually leaked. OEM has a much tighter fit (both the hose and the clamp) and it's working perfectly now, finally.

·
Super Moderator
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium (sold Jan 22)
3,170 Posts
This is a very common place for coolant to leak from and every H4 Subaru in my family has had this leak.

You need to remove the hose, thoroughly clean the alloy pipe it connects to and then install a new radiator hose and new clamps. When done top up with coolant or replace all the coolant.

Once this is done monitor the coolant level in the overflow AND radiator over the coming weeks as it will drop a little as all the air bubbles get purged out.

Seagrass

Reactions: Toddasaurus
1 - 12 of 12 Posts