Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
07 Subaru Outback
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just upgraded to a 07 legacy outback from my first 2nd gen outback. The cvt transmission in it has a issue with the valve to the transfer case, making the front wheels not turn as well. I thought instead of having it torn apart I could maybe just replace it with a manual trans. I am not familiar with transmissions, but I understand I at least need get a trans, clutch, pedals and such. But what I’m wondering is what else do I need for it to swap properly? An ecu or anything like that? I appreciate the help, thanks.

·
Registered
2009 3.0R Outback
516 Posts
Ah, the mythical 2007 CVT. I hear that it was so meticulously hand crafted that they only had time to make one.

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
849 Posts
Well, unless someone swapped a CVT in it. It's going to most likely have a 4eat which would have been the same auto as your 2nd gen. You can find good 4eat's for cheap.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,543 Posts
As others have eluded to (and looking at your profile), your 2007 has a traditional 4-speed automatic transmission (other, non-US markets may be different).

In this chassis, it is WORLDS easier to just replace the transmission than to manual swap. But if you're determined, here's a list of what's needed:

Transmission
Flywheel
Clutch
Driveshaft
Trans crossmeber
Rear diff
Pedal box
Clutch master and slave cylinder
Shifter assembly
ECU, BIU, cluster and matching ignition key from donor (MUST all be from the same car, from an 07 5MT Outback/Legacy)
Bulkhead wiring harness

This isn't a first gen Impreza anymore, no more "cut the MT/AT identifier wire" and go.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,921 Posts
If you want a Gen 3 H4 MT, it's much easier and cheaper to just go out and buy a Gen 3 H4 MT - equipped vehicle. I'd advise avoiding the XT, though, given your limited knowledge of the Gen 3 model series - they've had a rather bad run lately with a few members on this forum who are very good with their maintenance habits.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts