Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Outback Limited 2.5i, with the WINTER Pkg.
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my 1st Subaru last week, a solid car with a well documented service record. I bought it from the 2nd owner with a Car-fax and an original Car-fax from their purchase 6 years ago. No red flags, a real good unmolested 2008 with 108K miles, all recalls and service bulletins completed. The car lived most of it's life in New York, north of the city. The rust on the exhaust and bolt-heads on the underside is very visible. Even the alloy rims are chalky white on the inside around the hub.
nothing that is a deal breaker or I can't work around but...

Q; Being that NY State uses SALT on the roads or at least used too! Are these cars pron to rust?

I know Hurricane Sandy went thru this area in 2012, but the corrosion seems to be 10 years of winter wear/tear from the East Coast. Any thoughts. Anyone else see the same kind of issues? The body is sound, no rust on the painted parts, just bar metal parts, and brake calibers even show a not-new look. Updating the brake rotors and pads, so all that will be fresh.

·
Premium Member
2006 Outback Sedan LLBean
625 Posts
Just bought my 1st Subaru last week, a solid car with a well documented service record. I bought it from the 2nd owner with a Car-fax and an original Car-fax from their purchase 6 years ago. No red flags, a real good unmolested 2008 with 108K miles, all recalls and service bulletins completed. The car lived most of it's life in New York, north of the city. The rust on the exhaust and bolt-heads on the underside is very visible. Even the alloy rims are chalky white on the inside around the hub.
nothing that is a deal breaker or I can't work around but...

Q; Being that NY State uses SALT on the roads or at least used too! Are these cars pron to rust?

I know Hurricane Sandy went thru this area in 2012, but the corrosion seems to be 10 years of winter wear/tear from the East Coast. Any thoughts. Anyone else see the same kind of issues? The body is sound, no rust on the painted parts, just bar metal parts, and brake calibers even show a not-new look. Updating the brake rotors and pads, so all that will be fresh.
My 06 survived Sandy. Lots of salty winters and some bare metal spots from scratches with STILL no rust. I couldn't be more impressed with the corrosion resistance. The OEM rotors and calipers surface rust are the drop of a hat, but it's just surface. Enjoy your new ride!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts
Look under the spare in the hatch. Get on your back and look way up under the wheel wells. Check the bottoms of the rocker panels. These are the places I've seen rust on the 3rd generations. My 2008 is rust free, but she spent most of her life in FL and then a short stint in VA before moving to the fairly salt free snow free winters here in MD.

NY is in the "rust belt" because of the road salt. If paint looks bubbled up, there is rust under it.

·
Registered
2008 Outback Wagon LL Bean Limited 2.5i
846 Posts
Check the Timing belt cover bolts and the valve cover bolt heads too. They may be rusted to the point of almost rounding and can be a pain to remove

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts