Subaru Outback Forums banner
81 - 100 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
The car is starting to see some back-pressure over 6000rpm. I believe once the exhaust is modded or the CATs changed to high flow or newer ones, all should be well.

·
Master Caster
🖤💔💙 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,433 Posts
:claphead:Thats impressive. On stock not only making more power, but moved the powerband down 100rpm
Ed has become a 5eat H4 and more lately the 5eat H6 Zen master. He can manipulate it in ways that we mere mortals can't. We have a 20 person tuning group that is alive...24-7. XRT is our fuel.

My XRT tuning experience is still the best parts of my car...I am a customer for the life of my rig...and I am now, near 3 years in tuned. And going, growing stronger with each build.

·
Master Caster
🖤💔💙 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,433 Posts
So then the above restriction that was mentioned...is it still there?

Due to stock exhaust restrictions then?

About to crack 200 HP on a stock platform...tuning only, correct?

·
Master Caster
🖤💔💙 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,433 Posts
The H6 is one motor that they seem to have left a good bit "under the table". Back in the day...you slapped an intake on a car, and opened up the exhaust and the car could develop more HP, it breathed better.

Most modern motors...certainly the other N/A Subaru motors...don't need better breathing. There is no benefit. The H6 is restricted, and once bumped...Needs better breathing, and then bigger gain still can be had.

Time for headers...

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
AlexK - 2004 EDM Subaru Legacy H6 3.0R 5EAT - Tuning

Xtreme Racing Tuning ? View topic - AlexK - 2004 EDM Subaru Legacy H6 3.0R 5EAT - Tuning
Sent: Friday, August 19, 2016 11:14 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: v5a

l'd like to write a short review for the tuning process done by XRT. Edward is very helpful and kind walking me through the tuning process. He is on duty almost 24 hours and that is not exaggerated, I don't know when he sleeps. The time difference between my country and Barbados is seven hours, but Ed replies even in the middle of the night as I calculated. He resolved some of the minor pre-tune problems that the car had like leak from the air box (very common problem in these models by the way check it if you are planning a tune), AVICS solenoid malfunction and so on. This is the time to say that if you are panning to do a tune be prepared to change some things that Ed will diagnose for sure. That is a collateral damage to your wallet but it is an absolute must for good results.
About the tune: As you all probably felt the same way I was nervous when I reset the OEM ECU for the first time and installed the v1. But since that the satisfaction of driving my Scuby is tremendous. The shifting is better and with a good torque from the low RPM to the rev limit. The shifting is faster and you feel the extra power, although I added headers to my tune project and it is even better since than. The thinking before changing to lower gear of the old gear box is now a thing of the past. You have no problems to overpass and you feel much more confident.
Overall very satisfied with the tune, will recommend Ed to anyone that wants a proper Subaru tune and extraction a few horsepower from this wonderful engine.
Thank you Ed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good morning,

I just took delivery of my 2009 Outback XT with the 5eat and I was curious about the Stage 2 tune.

Unfortunately I have already purchased a Cobb Accessport for the vehicle so can I just get a transmission tune or is the whole ECU tuned and I would no longer use the AP?

I don't really have any big power plans for this car, possibly just a downpipe in the future but this is my families road trip car and I want to improve the responsiveness and handling of the car but not turn it into a track like car which is what happened to my 02 WRX.

I did just purchase a VAG-COM cable and it will be delivered on Friday but I wanted to check on my options.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Hello Jeff:

Nice to meet you.

That lovely. Now you can enjoy those off-road expeditions with a little more torque.

You should have contact me first before the AP and the VAG-COM cable. Can you tell me where you go all this advice from?
You can pm me :)

The AP default map is just a base map and the tune is only as good as the tuner. Do not expect the AP or an AP tuner to provide great results on the 5EAT performance and shifting.

The AP do flash over the stock rom and also changes stuff in the ECU memory. That being said, I would recommend selling it and have a full tune from Xtreme Racing Tuning (XRT) which will include optimising the ECU for the changes for the 5EAT.

The vag-com will work, but it is just not fast enough to really log. The Tactrix Openport 2.0 is and works nicely and you can always sell if needed.

I look forward to your reply or pm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello Jeff:

Nice to meet you.

The vag-com will work, but it is just not fast enough to really log. The Tactrix Openport 2.0 is and works nicely and you can always sell if needed.

I look forward to your reply or pm.
I tried to PM you but I haven't posted enough messages in the forum yet to have that ability.

Just wanted to let you know I ordered the Tactrix Openport 2.0 and it should get delivered on Monday. I found an oil leak I would like to repair first but if that won't cause any problems for you and the tune we can go ahead as soon as I have the part.

Thanks and I look forward to working with you on this upgrade!

Jeff

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Jeff:

Ok. Great. Just email me. No need to PM if my email is there :)

Please install bbm from bbm.com and send me an invite or notify me.

My email is [email protected]

Have a read - http://xtremeracingtuning.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=122&t=511
Tools - http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/Information/XRT - Tuning Tools for ECU Reflashing.pdf
Logging variables - http://xtremeracingtuning.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=501#p1824

I tried to PM you but I haven't posted enough messages in the forum yet to have that ability.

Just wanted to let you know I ordered the Tactrix Openport 2.0 and it should get delivered on Monday. I found an oil leak I would like to repair first but if that won't cause any problems for you and the tune we can go ahead as soon as I have the part.

Thanks and I look forward to working with you on this upgrade!

Jeff

·
Registered
Outback 2.0XT, Audi TTq, Ducati M750
333 Posts
Yep, I'm planning to get XRT as well, just gotta finish the swap!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello Guys!

New member, but I've used this forum for a learning and reference a few times over the years. Good resource!

Looking for the best upgrade path with my new-to-me 05 Outback XT, I came across threads referring to XRT tuning and searching for more info led to here. I've read all 10 pages, and I'm excited!

So it seems I need to read the links listed above by @west_minist, get a Tactrix 2.0 cable, and then email West_Minist.

My question is, I want to get more power out of my car. I'm thinking down pipe. (Invida w/cat) and up-pipe. Should I start tuning AFTER installing those?

All thoughts appreciated!

·
Master Caster
🖤💔💙 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,433 Posts
Get Your Mods In Place

Get you mods in place before going to the XRT table. That's my advice. Especially if you have a DP in the near future.

You can't really get any power without the DP anyway. Opening up the exhaust is one of the 1st steps to more power. The XRT tune prior to the DP will basically remap your throttle and tune the performance of the 5EAT (if your car is an auto) I would suggest having your plan mapped out when you contact Ed. That way you both have a clear idea of the expectations and goals.

Finally, work on making sure your car is healthy. Learing to log with a cheap vag-com cable is more important than the $$$ Tactrix (Until you need it to pull and drop roms) Most of us get these aged XTs and you can chase vacuum, intake and exhaust leaks for 6 months. Ed will help you with diagnostics and remedies if you get there. But you tuning money is better spent tuning vs chasing leaks. Ed will won't tune an unhealthy car.

Feel free to contact me with specifics. Either here

or [email protected]

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd Obsidian Black 5MT
1,084 Posts
My question is, I want to get more power out of my car. I'm thinking down pipe. (Invida w/cat) and up-pipe. Should I start tuning AFTER installing those
Dan

All thoughts appreciated!
Greetings and welcome from the lurker pool. :grin2:

I am also working with Ed trying to get my XT up to snuff, and I can echo what @traildogck has said, make sure your car is healthy first. As someone who just spent the entire holiday weekend plus a day redoing the entire intake (twice!) and exhaust chasing leaks, you will have your hands full.

If you are planning on doing the upgrades, then yes do the tuning after. The OEM downpipe is terribly inefficient and the uppipe has a catalytic converter in it that has the potential to blow chunks into the turbo. But when you do, make sure you have all new gaskets at each connection point.

I have the Invidia downpipe with cat. There's a couple of caveats with it.

1. The lowest bolt under the bellhousing is a complete and utter PITA to get to and tighten properly. The pipe opening is too close of an angle to get anything other than a box end wrench on. And then everything else is in the way trying to get force on the wrench: power steering hard lines, axle, turbo lines, etc. And realistically that bolt is the one you want to start tightening first, but want to do it evenly around all the bolts so you have to get out from under the car like 3 times. And that leads me to..
2. You want to make sure you tighten the bolts to the tubo before you attach the pipe to the car. There is a hangar that it bolts to on the transmission, but if you bolt that up before you tighten it to the turbo, it probably won't seat correctly.

Other than that, it's a great pipe. I have the 2nd bung for an AFR gauge.

For the uppipe, I recommend the Grimmspeed. It has a flexible joint in it that allows for irregularities... like for whatever reason mine has. I had a solid Perrin before this weekend and things just did not line up correctly causing the turbo to be at a weird angle and all sorts of strangeness.

With Ed, you will get to love or hate your car. Hopefully you can love it before you hate it too much.

81 - 100 of 131 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.