Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have water in the spare tire well and the right rear well where the moon roof drain hose exits the vehicle. The leak is in the roof somewhere. I have removed the interior trim and headliner. The leak is on the passenger side roof near the rear overhead seat belt clip. The moonroof hose connects to the reservoir and it appears to be tight. Removed rear tail lights (no water in them), replaced lower seals on the frame below the hatch on both sides. Replaced the center rear upper brake light. Still have a leak after all this. Has anyone found a cracked moonroof drain hose? I see a post on the roof rail bolts being loose or missing. Photos attached. Any thoughts on additional things to check are welcome. 179FAEB5-3D23-4D16-900F-062C967DABD2.jpeg 179FAEB5-3D23-4D16-900F-062C967DABD2.jpeg 503C81DE-B2D9-4036-8F06-9A3E9A0E87CF.jpeg FCCBB4D9-DBEF-4F52-9BFD-55018085E38A.jpeg BDE4E736-069E-4F10-B133-2F6BE4BE9072.jpeg

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
9,559 Posts
I'll bet you already did this but you didn't mention it, so did you clear all of the drains and check their functioning?

With the headliner out of the car you could have someone use a hose on the car while you look for the leak.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
1,023 Posts
If you have not cleared the moonroof drain hoses, do that next. I prefer using compressed air, but some use weedwacker line or metal cables.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll bet you already did this but you didn't mention it, so did you clear all of the drains and check their functioning?

With the headliner out of the car you could have someone use a hose on the car while you look for the leak.
If you have not cleared the moonroof drain hoses, do that next. I prefer using compressed air, but some use weedwacker line or metal cables.
Yes. All drain lines were clear and drained good.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had two places that were leaking:

1) A leak from split rubber boot/grommet beside the right-side lift gate hinge.

2) A couple of breaches in the upper lift gate glass seal.
2010 Hatch leak repair.jpg

·
Registered
2006 WX8, 59E
1,106 Posts
Several manufacturers had problems with leaks through longitudinal roof seams. Some launched service campaigns and others did not. As an example, here's an older TSB from Honda that shows very well what's going on. I had to deal with this issue on a Dodge minivan, simply by pouring flowable sealant from a tube into all gaps between the trim molding and the metal.

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
A common source of leak in the rear tailgate area is the upper center mounted brake light. This is sealed with a single gasket that breaks down over time. Remove the back/inside of the rear hatch, unbolt the rear center brake light and either silicone it back in place or get a new gasket from the dealer. Lots of posts here on this issue.

·
Registered
54 Posts
OP . . . . any of these suggestions helping?

jef3820: In the OP I believe it said the center brake light was replaced. I also wonder if RTV was applied with the replacement.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I second Jeff’s suggestion. I had same problem in my 2011 and it was the brake light. The seal was completely dried out and cracked. Some rtv and its good to go.

·
Registered
2010 UK Spec Outback CVT 2.5 litre Petrol
28 Posts
Ditto - check the light
I second Jeff’s suggestion. I had same problem in my 2011 and it was the brake light. The seal was completely dried out and cracked. Some rtv and its good to go.

·
Registered
124 Posts
i 3rd the high mount (3rd) brake light. it's a common leak point. it says you checked it but the gasket would need to be replaced if you took it off the car. i used door weather-stripping from home depot rather than RTV sealant for less mess.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts