Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
2013 Outback 3.6R... Block Heater

Hello Forum,

First-time poster here. Just bought a new 2013 Outback with the 3.6R. This is my second Subaru, so I'm still a little new to the "family."

My question is: Has anyone out there dealt with installing a block heater in a 3.6R engine? If so, is it worth it to do this myself, or should I just let the dealership mechs install this for $100? I guess the real question is, how difficult is this install (dealership has only 1 hour in the books) and is the $100 really worth the lack of mess and head/heartache?

Thanks!

·
Registered
35 Posts
block heater

Hello Forum,

First-time poster here. Just bought a new 2013 Outback with the 3.6R. This is my second Subaru, so I'm still a little new to the "family."

My question is: Has anyone out there dealt with installing a block heater in a 3.6R engine? If so, is it worth it to do this myself, or should I just let the dealership mechs install this for $100? I guess the real question is, how difficult is this install (dealership has only 1 hour in the books) and is the $100 really worth the lack of mess and head/heartache?

Thanks!
I plan on putting one in my 3.6R this fall. The instructions don't look that daunting, but then I do all my own maintenance on my cars once out of warranty. If I get to it first I'll post my experiences.

Jeff

·
Registered
2 Posts
I plan on putting one in my 3.6R this fall. The instructions don't look that daunting, but then I do all my own maintenance on my cars once out of warranty. If I get to it first I'll post my experiences.

Jeff
Jeff,

Just had the dealership install it today. Got the part cheap off eBay for about $65 and then $100 to install it.

No busted knuckles, no antifreeze to dispose of, and a $200 investment (including the $40 battery warmer) to help insure my car will start in the dead of a Canadian Winter... I'd call it a victory. :29:

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Jeff,

Just had the dealership install it today. Got the part cheap off eBay for about $65 and then $100 to install it.

No busted knuckles, no antifreeze to dispose of, and a $200 investment (including the $40 battery warmer) to help insure my car will start in the dead of a Canadian Winter... I'd call it a victory. :29:
Had the OB now since Late 09...no block heater,battery warmer and had no issues with starting it in the dead cold of the Canadian winter. Just sayin'

·
Registered
133 Posts
Had the OB now since Late 09...no block heater,battery warmer and had no issues with starting it in the dead cold of the Canadian winter. Just sayin'
Same here; I did buy a block heater way back when I first got the car, but had no reason to install so far. With a modern fuel injection system and Mobil1, I don't think I ever will either.

Anyone want to buy a 3.6R block heater? :12:

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Thank you for putting this together! Very useful as I start basic modifications to my OB!
Noticed the rallyinnovations light bar...what Tyra of light bar is on the bar...make...model...?

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
has anyone put together a timing belt /water pump guide up for gen 4? If not when I get around to doing mine in the next 60 days I will try to remember to take some photos and notes.

·
Registered
192 Posts
has anyone put together a timing belt /water pump guide up for gen 4? If not when I get around to doing mine in the next 60 days I will try to remember to take some photos and notes.
Please do. Mine is due and I'm trying to decide if I'm going to attempt it by myself. Not sure how much the dealer charges but I'm sure it's a lot.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I did mine a year ago and the FSM procedure is very thorough and easy to follow. The hardest part was lining up the water pump gasket. I made my own crank pulley removal tool as well. I'll see if I can pull together which pages of the FSM to look for and the schematic I followed for the pulley remover.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Crank Pulley Removal tool info http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/attachments/gen-2-2000-2004/29946d1366116292-crank-pulley-hold-tool-crank-holding-tool-model-multi-holes.pdf

...from this post http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/110-gen-2-2000-2004/35083-crank-pulley-hold-tool.html#post570794

I ended up making mine out of plywood.

As for pages of the FSM, if you can find the pdfs online...
1. CO(H4SO)-14
2. CO(H4SO)-24
3. CO(H4SO)-26
4. CO(H4SO)-25
5. ME(H4SO)-43
6. ME)H4SO)-45
7. ME)H4SO)-47
8. ME)H4SO)-48
9. CO(H4SO)-18
10. CO(H4SO)-16

I went through those pages in that order and went backwards through them for reassembly. I would post the pdfs online and link them, but I'm not exactly clear on the legality of that...and I don't have the space in my dropbox. Sorry, that's the best I can do for a DIY Guide.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I came across the FSM a long time ago, I'll dig up the pdf. How long did it take you? I changed the timing belt on my previous Toyota Tacoma. Lots of room in that engine bay makes me nervous about trying to get into the Outback. I thought I remember seeing something about taking the engine out to do TB on OBs. Did I imagine that?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I just took out both radiator fans, coolant reservoir, and the air intake. Some people take out the radiator, but I felt like I had enough room. You just have to be careful. Since I had never done it before and I was being very methodical, it took me most of the day including the time I took to make the tool. You do not have to remove the engine to replace the TB.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
About this Discussion
43 Replies
26 Participants
LAP
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing