Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2010 OBW limited 2.5 CVT
1,602 Posts
Its a non isue if you use clean fuel. It should last the life of the car, or at least the pump. 87,000 miles on mine so far.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
i wouldn't think about it until 100,000 if not later. folks inexperienced with car maintenance jump to fuel filter as cause of issues but in reality it's a part that rarely needs attention...i've never yet seen a fuel filter cause a problem on a subaru.

although there is an as-of-yet-unexplained fuel pump issue with newer Subarus, that may in time include your car. so far it involves 00-04 models but the caps that fail is interchangeable and the same oring (that fails) on your model. it's actually the cap that needs removed to replace the fuel filter, but on the older models it's empty, there's no filter media in there since it's in the engine bay and the cap is a little shorter. anyway - 00-04's can have the tabs crack on that cap causing the oring to push out and loose fuel pressure.

anyway - i have been wondering if a clogged fuel filter causes more pressure on that reservoir and causes the tab to crack?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The factory repair manual makes it seem pretty involved all our other cars you could do it in about 10 minutes including relieving the fuel pressure...

·
Registered
2009 OBW 2.5i 5MT (sold)
81 Posts
The factory repair manual makes it seem pretty involved all our other cars you could do it in about 10 minutes including relieving the fuel pressure...
Yeah, I saw it on the 60,000 mile maintenance and pulled up my service manual...only to be shocked that it's an IN-PUMP filter, and it looks like I'd have to pull the fuel pump out of the tank to change a **** filter... I hate to defer maintenance, but I think I'm going to save that pain in the ass for the 105,000 mile maintenance that includes drive & cam belts.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anybody actually do this yet? Would like to have an idea how involved it is and how long it took. Thanks!

·
Registered
2012 4LT Centennial Edition Grand Sport Corvette convertible
494 Posts
There's no reason to do it as it's designed as a lifetime filter.

I've not done the job on a Subaru, but I swapped the fuel pump out on my daughter's 2002 Taurus. It took me about 3 hours start to finish. I bought only the pump and filter sock so this time included taking the fuel pump basket apart, pulling the old pump, dropping the new one in, and buttoning it back up.

Keep in mind there are lots of variables that could hold you up, such as rusty nuts & bolts. You should run the gas tank as empty as possible so you don't have to fight with a bunch of weight when trying to drop the tank. I don't have a lift so I backed the car onto a set of ramps.

·
Registered
2011, 3.6R, Limited (two)
14 Posts
I just had my independent mechanic do my 60k. His computer list did NOT have it as a replaceable part for this service. As mentioned above, he said it was inside the fuel tank and unless there was an issue that he couldn't see why it would need replacing. The manual and Subaru owners web maintenance page do show it as a part to be replaced however. I'm going with my mechanic and just "moving on".

·
Registered
'03 L.L. Bean OBW 162,000 mi Dad: 2012 3.6 Limited 90,000 mi Mom- 2015 Impreza 5MT
1,205 Posts
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but my dad's car has 60k now. If it's a lifetime filter why does the schedule say to replace it at 60k?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts