Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2011 OB, Limited...before had 2010 OB, Premium, 6MT, HK
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning. A few years ago, the clip holding the lumbar support cable popped in my 2011 Outback. I took it into the local Subaru dealer where they fixed it under warranty. The advisor said they had new, 'beefed up' clips, so it should not happen again. Thursday driving home from work...POP. There it goes again.

I found a few DIY guides, like THIS one.

There are two clips on each side. One is attached to the seat frame. The other one attaches the cable to the first clip. Here's a picture from the guide I linked above. Usually, the one circled in red breaks. In my case, it was the one circled in blue.

Here are pics to show my situation.

Any suggestions on how to remove the broken clip pieces? The one attached to the cable is really hard to get a grip on with the needle nose pliers.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,384 Posts
You could try cutting it off with a Dremel. Just cut partway through and that should be enough to snap it with pliers.

·
Registered
2011 OB, Limited...before had 2010 OB, Premium, 6MT, HK
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, dukey. I ended up doing just that. The way the broken clip sat in the channel, it was hard to cut without roughing up a little bit of the plastic that surrounded the clip. The only clip I could find at Home Depot that was a close match was a stainless steel s-biner. The channel was just a bit too large to actually close the s-biner clip. The S is in there snug, so I hope it holds.

Some of the other guides mentioned sharp edges in the back of the seat. Yep, slice, blood. Thank goodness for the all-weather floor mats. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,399 Posts
Nice job on that repair. Half the battle is finding something that's the same size as the original clips. I think I found a 4-pack of clips on a Subaru parts website. There are 4 corners, and each has a clip. I think the two on the bottom are the same size, and the two on the top corners are slightly longer.

Here's my repair:

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/5442609-post11.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts