Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! Just wanted to introduce myself. I live in the Dayton area and I purchased a used 2012 Outback 2.5 Premium in May after my insurance totaled my (just paid off) 2015 Nissan Versa. It has 275,000 miles on it but it still looks pretty good.

I've recently encountered an issue with a leak in the back around the top of the hatch. Anyone have any ideas on a fix? I took the cover off and can see some pooled water but it's been "fairly" dry for the past 24 hours. I've read conflicting reports on the actual issue but I've read that the foam is a known culprit. My Dad had 15+ years in the auto industry with a lighting manufacturer (NAL and Neaton) so he's going to help me fix it tomorrow. Just wanted to see if anyone has any tips. Looking forward to adding a tow hitch once I'm off disability and back to work!

Thanks!

Here's some pictures of the hatch area. There's a small rubber square on the right side and that's where I've seen water at.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
14,369 Posts
Congrats on the car!

I suppose you two will check the center brake light for a failing seal?

·
Premium Member
2021 OB Touring, 2011 OB Premium
1,088 Posts
I suppose you two will check the center brake light for a failing seal?
I second this. We had to replace the center brake light with a new one - - the gasket wore out and we had a water leak from the upper center of the rear lift gate.

Reactions: Flood1913

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Outback 2.5 Premium
645 Posts
It’s the third brake light seal for sure. You can buy a new one or what I did and some others do is to buy blue sealer and seal it yourself. Easy cheap fix though. Congrats on the ride!

·
Registered
'17 OB 3.6 , '11 OB 2.5 , '11 Legacy 2.5
345 Posts
My 2011 had the same issue last-year. I ordered a new one, I think it was maybe $50. Subaru of Dayton has pretty good prices on their website, as long as you can stop by their Parts Dept and pick up (don't $hip). Wagner Subaru has a great Service Dept, and I'm sure the prices on their parts are equitable. I always try to buy as much Subaru OEM parts as possible for any job I might be doing, most are high quality. Welcome to The Club !!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts