Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody. I'm brand new here. I'm looking to be a first time Subaru owner. I'm a outdoor type guy. I'm debating between a 2015 /2016 Crosstrek. And a 2014 Outback. All have same ground clearance. Outback has more cargo room. 2.5 engine gets better ratings than 2.0, in the Crosstrek. But how does the Gen 4 , with the 2.5, really hold up? I'm looking at one with the CVT. I have a long commute for work, and don't go offroad a lot. I live in southwest Fl. We have a lot of sand. But if I do visit mountains and snow , I want to be ready for just about anything.
Thanks

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,269 Posts
You really need to drive both and see what you prefer, those are extremely different vehicles.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,490 Posts
I had a 2013 Crosstrek and while I didn't think it was a bad car I hated it.

Loud on the highway. Tiny. Cramped. Gutless.

It never left me or failed me.

But I traded it in in less than a year for an Outback.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
683 Posts
I did a car guru search of the entire US on outback the there were a TON of 2.5i CVT with well over 200K on them and a few with over 300K from 2010 and up

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Outback 2.5 Premium
406 Posts
Very different vehicles, do you need the space or would rather have a more compact car to get in and out of tight spaces? The 2.5 is a good motor and will run for a long time. That being said the 2.0 will also run a long time but does have less power but better MPG, so do you want the power or increased MPG? Last like @AWDFTW said drive them both to see what you like more. They both have great AWD so snow and mountains wouldn't be an issue with either vehicle.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
683 Posts
I drove an impreza with the 2.0 and that thing is more of a dog than the 2.5L is...and in town mileage is not better than the 2.5L outback in my experience..

also, drove a crosstek and it is very small on the inside, the impreza hatch has more usable space.

They both have the same ground clearance...(OB and Crosstek)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts