Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Someone dented the rear hatch on my 2013, so i had to replace it. This weekend, I'm dismantling the old tailgate. Let me know if you need anything before it goes on ebay.

I can calculate your shipping costs from 28701

Center brake light: $20
L/R Inner brake lights: $35 each
Wiper motor: $45
Complete Wiring Harnesses: $55 each
Electric latch: $30
Control modules: $20 each
Glass: $100

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 2.5
66 Posts
How dented is the rear hatch? I'm looking for a new liftgate for my OB.

Where did you get your replacement?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rear hatch has a dent right below the indent where the license place sits, and it runs about as wide as that area. And unfortunately, I have no means of shipping something this large. That's why I'm breaking it down.

But I will tell you this: I got a clean, complete replacement hatch of the same color for about $800. I found it on car-part.com at a recycler located about 1.5 hours from my house. I rented an enclosed U-haul trailer for $25 to pick it up, and my neighbor and I installed it (and the new bumper cover) in about 1.5 hours.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited w/all the goodies. 2013 Outback Limited (sold)
177 Posts
The rear hatch has a dent right below the indent where the license place sits, and it runs about as wide as that area. And unfortunately, I have no means of shipping something this large. That's why I'm breaking it down.

But I will tell you this: I got a clean, complete replacement hatch of the same color for about $800. I found it on car-part.com at a recycler located about 1.5 hours from my house. I rented an enclosed U-haul trailer for $25 to pick it up, and my neighbor and I installed it (and the new bumper cover) in about 1.5 hours.
Good job on finding the parts you need. Ive used car-part.com for years.

Do you have any inner panel pieces for the tailgate? What I'm looking for is pretty minor really. There's a small piece that is missing in mine. All it does is cover an access hole. Located about middle down low.

If not, Thanks for posting this thread anyways!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it the one down in the middle of the tailgate? Yes, I have that part. Tell ya what, let me make sure I didn't throw it out, and I will PM you this evening. Let me know if you need anything else.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Is it the one down in the middle of the tailgate? Yes, I have that part. Tell ya what, let me make sure I didn't throw it out, and I will PM you this evening. Let me know if you need anything else.
Yep that's it. It's small only maybe 2" by 2"

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep that's it. It's small only maybe 2" by 2"

Somehow I did not step on that part last night, nor did I throw it out!

You can have it for free, just the cost of shipping.

DM me your email address and your mailing address. I'll send you a Paypal invoice.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Somehow I did not step on that part last night, nor did I throw it out!

You can have it for free, just the cost of shipping.

DM me your email address and your mailing address. I'll send you a Paypal invoice.
Message sent.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 2.5
66 Posts

Thanks for the info at least now I know a price range to look at. I'm looking into sourcing one as well from car-part. Problem is I'm in Canada so hopefully they ship (and its not too outrageous) or I head down to Seattle to pick it up. Question about the the actual lift gate (I haven't measured it yet), seeing as you rented the trailer, I take it that the gate wouldn't actually fit inside (sideways) with the seats folded down?

Also, how difficult was it to install? I believe it's just the two top brackets and the rods that need to be disconnected? Any tips or specific tools to bring when I take it off from the junkyard? What size trailer did you use?

Sorry for all the questions. Finding a replacement has been a pain and I don't want to mess it up.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,313 Posts
Question about the the actual lift gate (I haven't measured it yet), seeing as you rented the trailer, I take it that the gate wouldn't actually fit inside (sideways) with the seats folded down?
That would work on my Gen 3, and I see no reason it wouldn't work on Gen 4.

Also, how difficult was it to install? I believe it's just the two top brackets and the rods that need to be disconnected?
Hinges, lift cylinders, wire harnesses both sides, rear washer hose, and radio antenna coax. You should definitely consult the service manual for the procedure.

Any tips or specific tools to bring when I take it off from the junkyard?
They should have already removed it for you. Ask to make sure.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To add to what was said above:

1. I did not know if the tailgate would fit in my cargo area, so i did not want to risk showing up without a trailer. In the end, I'm glad I did because I also needed a bumper cover. The bumper cover ate up almost all of the cargo area by itself. And U-haul rents trailers for cheap (less than $30). If you do go the trailer route, bring lots of old blankets or moving pads and some tie-down straps. I strapped the tailgate to the floor of the trailer because those things ride really bouncy. The glass would have shattered if I just threw it in there without securing.

2. The job took me and my neighbor (a mechanic) about an hour from start to finish. The tailgate is unweildy, so you need a second set of hands. The hardest part is that you need to release the rearward portion of the headliner to reach the hinge bolts, and you need to remove the driver's side D-pillar for some of the wiring connections.

3. If you are going to a u-pick-it yard, you want to bring basic tools like a socet and screwdriver set. If you are going to a yard that pulls the part for you, bring a few bucks cash to tip the guy who helps you load it into your vehicle.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The part came in the mail and fits perfectly. Great condition and fast shipping.

Thanks again, I appreciate it.

-Todd

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 2.5
66 Posts
To add to what was said above:

1. I did not know if the tailgate would fit in my cargo area, so i did not want to risk showing up without a trailer. In the end, I'm glad I did because I also needed a bumper cover. The bumper cover ate up almost all of the cargo area by itself. And U-haul rents trailers for cheap (less than $30). If you do go the trailer route, bring lots of old blankets or moving pads and some tie-down straps. I strapped the tailgate to the floor of the trailer because those things ride really bouncy. The glass would have shattered if I just threw it in there without securing.

2. The job took me and my neighbor (a mechanic) about an hour from start to finish. The tailgate is unweildy, so you need a second set of hands. The hardest part is that you need to release the rearward portion of the headliner to reach the hinge bolts, and you need to remove the driver's side D-pillar for some of the wiring connections.

3. If you are going to a u-pick-it yard, you want to bring basic tools like a socet and screwdriver set. If you are going to a yard that pulls the part for you, bring a few bucks cash to tip the guy who helps you load it into your vehicle.
Thanks!

I was able to source a complete one (and the same color!), they are shipping it to a body shop who I've asked to do the swap.:smile2:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As for me, i have stripped the entire tailgate of all its parts (except for glass), and listed them each on ebay. The tailgate itself was picked up by a local metal scrapper, so i didn't even need to haul it off!

Now I just need to cut the bumper into small enough pieces that they can go out with my recycling.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.