Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello.

I just wanted to get some perspective, opinions, thoughts about any Outback drivers that have made the switch from the Gen 4 to 5? What models did you switch to and from and what do you think of your decision to upgrade? I'm nearing payoff of my 2013 2.5i and really can't stand it any longer. The lack of tech, features, reliability, design, has me itching for the Gen 5. Cost is a big factor for me and still don't know what year I should get. MY 2015 is more in my budget but I'm still nervous about CVT and oil issues with them like my 2013. Should I get a 2016? The 3.6 is out of my budget so it would have to be a 2.5.

Any feedback would be appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Not sure how much difference you would actually notice between a '13 and a '15, other than no longer needing to worry about timing belts.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Premium 2.5 Abyss Blue
4 Posts
I switched from a 2013 2.5i premium to a 2019 2.5i premium with blind spot detection and rear cross traffic alert. I'm happy with the decision.
The 19 handles much better and has a tad more pep. Android auto, and eyesight are also a big plus. The 13 never tracked as well as I thought it should. It always seemed to wander a bit, even with alignments and new tires.
The only downsides are that the rear storage area is a little narrower and if you currently have gen 4 snow tires the gen 5 tires are a slightly different size.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 OB Limited 3.6 Magnetite grey/ grey interior
5 Posts
Went from a 2013 Premium to a 2019 Limited (3.6) so comparison is not quite fair. Ride, handling, eyesight, and interior are much better. My wife loves it, though she wants remote start for our temps in Mn.
Looked long and hard for a 3.6 in her color. The difference in power is amazing, mileage is the same as our 2.5L 2013

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ EyeSight
188 Posts
I went from a 2011 3.6R to a 2016 3.6R in June 2019. Overall, the 2011 was a great car and I'd even say I miss it sometimes. I did not have any significant problems with my 2011 but I grew tired of it. The tech, interior, and it was starting to show its age to me.

The interior and tech in the 2016 better. Eyesight, lane departure, slightly better stereo, infotrainment, nav, yada yada yada.. I got a good deal on it and recently hit 41k miles.

·
Registered
2018 2.5 Outback Limited and 2010 Forester Premium
145 Posts
My wife loves it, though she wants remote start for our temps in Mn.
You’ve likely read it on this forum, but the factory remote start shuts down the engine when you open the car door. Then you have to start it again. Can’t be great for the OEM battery that so many seem to think is weak. This feature of the remote start drives me nuts; my # 1 complaint for an otherwise great car.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did not have any significant problems with my 2011 but I grew tired of it. The tech, interior, and it was starting to show its age to me.
This is where I'm at. Just tired of mine. The interior is beyond dated and the gen 5 is just miles ahead in refinement and tech.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
4,824 Posts
The oil consumption issue was solved by the time the 2015 rolled out; you should be OK there.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 2.5i base
439 Posts
Hello.

I just wanted to get some perspective, opinions, thoughts about any Outback drivers that have made the switch from the Gen 4 to 5? What models did you switch to and from and what do you think of your decision to upgrade? I'm nearing payoff of my 2013 2.5i and really can't stand it any longer. The lack of tech, features, reliability, design, has me itching for the Gen 5. Cost is a big factor for me and still don't know what year I should get. MY 2015 is more in my budget but I'm still nervous about CVT and oil issues with them like my 2013. Should I get a 2016? The 3.6 is out of my budget so it would have to be a 2.5.

Any feedback would be appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 2.5i base
439 Posts
I traded in my 2013 2.5 base on a 2019 2.5 base at about 90k on the 2013.
The increase in features 2013 base model to 2019 base model is incredible.
Auto door lock/unlock
Real engine temp gauge
Electronic power steering
Infotainment center including Apple Car Play
7 speed CVT vs 6 speed
Eyesight system with:
Lane monitoring/keep
Collision avoidance
Adaptive cruise control
Easier headlight access for changing if necessary
Included cargo cover, had to buy for the 2013
Engine plastic “skid plate” underneath, was nothing there on my 2013.

I am extremely happy with the upgrade.

The ONLY step backward was/is the loss of front seat storage space. The door pockets are shorter for some reason, the center console, which had two levels on the 2013, is now single level, and the infotainment system takes up the two storage trays which were handy on the 2013. The “stuff” like small tools, pens, spare fuses, etc. I use to have quick access to in my 2013 now occupies a large plastic bag which I haven’t found the right place for and is very “un” handy.

One difference I’m not crazy about is the change from Freon 134a to the new 1234yf.
I have plenty of 134a and the ability to add if necessary, know nothing about the new stuff, but this may never be an issue.

All in all, I am delighted with my 2019 over my 2013, which I was happy enough with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts