Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a picture of the block heater plug location for the 3.6L. I've got the factory service manual (3.6L & 2.5L) and the block heater manual for the 2.5L. Both seem a little off. To me it looks like the plug location would be next to the passenger exhaust and require a 17mm hex key on what looks like a 30mm+ threadsize plug. But all the instructions say 14mm hex key.

I'm wondering if it's a typo as the 2.5L takes a 14mm hex or something.

Image of 2.5L location attached.

and image of 3.6L (1sec getting phone) - the big plug above (not behind) the rubber hose is where I am thinking the block heater goes.

Also looks like I have to drop the exhaust on both sides to get it to come down enough. Dang.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,154 Posts
Download the installation instructions for the 3.6 block heater, free, from STIS.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
3.6 block heater, free, from STIS.
Have a link? I'm not good with random acronyms. I'll post the documents I have as attachments. Posted.
Edit:
I just figured out this means, "Subaru Technical Information System (http://techinfo.subaru.com/)"

to install that you are going to have to lower the exhaust... fun
Can't see that link without buying. Do you have a yearly subscription or something? Can I secretly ask you to pm me? hahhahaha

Edit:
Ah, looks like technical bulletins and accessories are free. Payment is only required for the FSM, which I already have. It is still a shame they show the install for the 2.5L only :(

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,257 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I really appreciate the explanation and the walk-through. I think we are looking at the same page and the document corresponds with the screenshot I posted earlier and I think the website link corresponds with the screenshot I posted earlier.

when you look at the pictures, are you seeing two exhaust ports or are you seeing three exhaust ports? Because I’m only seeing two in the picture; meanwhile, the layout of the 3.6 L is a slightly different. I don’t have the bolt hole in the same location and instead there’s an oil cooler.

I’m pretty sure it’s that big bolt in my post, I was just curious if anyone actually had an image or diagram of it on the 3.6 L

This is what I see

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,154 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This one, which you posted earlier, is correct for the 3.6 engine. You can tell by the bottom-mounted oil filter and sandwich oil cooler, if nothing else. https://www.subaruoutback.org/attachments/a091sfj001-pdf.497887/
EAGLE EYES! Nice job. I had seen the foil, but never saw the plug before. I see it now. Thank you. Totally is that big plug up there after the 90deg bend in the coolant / oil heat exchanger.

I'll update when parts arrive and are installed. Likely 2 weeks. I used one of those silly coupons online to get the heater cheaper.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts