Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know on the previous generation there was a way to adjust the miles per gallon readout to make it more accurate. Some long drawn out process of turning the key and doing all sorts of things in the right sequence.

Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust the mileage on the Gen 5 Outbacks? Mine reads 2mpg too high which is a little too inaccurate in my opinion. Plus it just bothers me to have to mentally subtract 2 mpg's from whatever is displayed, especially considering all the technology in the car.

Searched on here. Didn't see any answers one way or the other.

Thanks for any helpful replies.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I think there is a dealer screen that can do that. I'm about / mpg off. But I have had rare tanks that were right on.

Wmdpowell car name Roo2

·
Registered
575 Posts
The dealer can certainly make an adjustment via SSM connection, but there is no official user-adjustable access.

Somewhere in a comment thread around here there is a suggestion which involves a series of moves such as you describe—pressing various buttons while holding a gerbil in your left hand and standing on one leg or something—but I didn't bother to look for it again because I didn't try it, and so far as I remember nobody has yet reported having made it work.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Mine reads two MPG too high also. The procedure for getting into "Dealer Customize Mode" for the previous generation doesn't work on GEN 5. From what I can tell, only the dealer can do it.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
In approx. 12000 mi. I've checked "actual" vs "readout" about 3/4th of the time. On rare occasions the comparison will be within a few tenths. Most of the time actual fuel economy is about 5% less than reported by the readout but does vary from tank to tank. Since there is some tank to tank variability not sure what correction that I'd want the dealer to make. 5% is on par with some other vehicles I've own.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I know on the previous generation there was a way to adjust the miles per gallon readout to make it more accurate. Some long drawn out process of turning the key and doing all sorts of things in the right sequence.

Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust the mileage on the Gen 5 Outbacks? Mine reads 2mpg too high which is a little too inaccurate in my opinion. Plus it just bothers me to have to mentally subtract 2 mpg's from whatever is displayed, especially considering all the technology in the car.

From the Service Manual - I had the dealer dial mine back by 1% so still a hair optimistic except when I run the tank down to at about 1/4 full then just about on the nose.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks!

That is what I needed to know. I check my mileage every time I get gas and it is consistently 2 mpg too high which is way too far off considering how accurate my other Subaru's have been in the past.

I prefer to go into the service department with the answers instead of depending on theirs.

From the Service Manual - I had the dealer dial mine back by 1% so still a hair optimistic except when I run the tank done to at about 1/4 full then just about on the nose.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I see in the screen shot it allows you to adjust the air temperature? Is that related to the outside temperature reading on the display? Mine is way off and would love to be able to adjust it. Is this something only the dealship can do as I don't understand those directions as to what menues they are into and where.

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
Most of the time actual fuel economy is about 5% less than reported by the readout but does vary from tank to tank. ... not sure what correction that I'd want the dealer to make.
Yes, the error does vary from tank to tank and under different driving conditions (e.g. highway vs. in-town). During the first six months in our 2015 Legacy 2.5 the long-term error was 4%, so I had the dealer set the calibration -4% and it has worked out well. Long-term error so far this year, with the correction, is within +/- 1%.

Our 2016 Outback 2.5 is still too new to provide enough data for a good long-term average error, but it's looking like 4% is going to be pretty close.

FWIW, I drove a Lincoln MKZ rental car for ~500 miles last week, and its "fuel economy" display was a whopping 13% optimistic. On a 309 mile day trip, the indicated fuel economy was 34.9 mpg, while the hand-calculated actual was 30.9 (still pretty good for a Lincoln, IMO).

Is this something only the dealship can do as I don't understand those directions as to what menues they are into and where.
At the present time it is still dealer-only, using the proprietary (and expensive) SSM diagnostic tool.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I prefer to go into the service department with the answers instead of depending on theirs.
Why? If they don't know, they'll happily make something up! :|

·
Registered
638 Posts

I don't really trust the mpg calculator no matter what. 2 mpg is only about 5-10% off, based on the typical mileage I get. As a quick estimate, not that bad. When I fill up I write down the mileage and the gallons put in and do it myself.

I guess the question would be - why does it matter that the car calculator be *exactly* right?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Perhaps the systems aren't tied to each other but doesn't the car showing a higher than actual MPG overestimate the miles until empty reading?

·
Registered
993 Posts
Am partially pleased in how consistent my Fool Computer displays. Perhaps I'll ask for a tweak come first oil change in a couple of weeks. Top plot is $/gallon. Then the grey ghost plot is Fool Computer Claimed MPG. Nice solid bar chart is actual miles/gallons. Red line is running average.

Should mention I tow a couple dirtbikes 150 miles or 300 miles most of these tanks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If there is a simple, 10 minute fix for something about the car that annoys me why would I put up with the problem for the 8-10 years I plan to keep the car and not get it fixed?

The answer seems pretty obvious to me. If it isn't to you then it can't be explained.

I don't really trust the mpg calculator no matter what. 2 mpg is only about 5-10% off, based on the typical mileage I get. As a quick estimate, not that bad. When I fill up I write down the mileage and the gallons put in and do it myself.

I guess the question would be - why does it matter that the car calculator be *exactly* right?

·
Registered
596 Posts
From the Service Manual - I had the dealer dial mine back by 1% so still a hair optimistic except when I run the tank down to at about 1/4 full then just about on the nose.

Any idea how you GET to that screen? Sitting in my garage, the 'Each System Check' did not seem to be available. This is for the display in the center of the instrument panel, correct?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts