Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
If there is a simple, 10 minute fix for something about the car that annoys me why would I put up with the problem for the 8-10 years I plan to keep the car and not get it fixed?

The answer seems pretty obvious to me. If it isn't to you then it can't be explained.
In my mind, there are vastly more important things in this world.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Yes, the error does vary from tank to tank and under different driving conditions (e.g. highway vs. in-town). During the first six months in our 2015 Legacy 2.5 the long-term error was 4%, so I had the dealer set the calibration -4% and it has worked out well. Long-term error so far this year, with the correction, is within +/- 1%.

Our 2016 Outback 2.5 is still too new to provide enough data for a good long-term average error, but it's looking like 4% is going to be pretty close.

At the present time it is still dealer-only, using the proprietary (and expensive) SSM diagnostic tool.
Took OB in today for it's free 12000 mi. scheduled maintenance. Asked the service writer to have correction applied to average mpg reading... not a clue... said nothing the dealer could go. He wanted to know where I got the idea a correction was possible. I referenced this forum which immediately got poo-pooed as internet bunk. He reportedly did ask a technician and got support it wasn't possible. On the work ticket it said "no updates available to make correction" so not sure if he fully understood where to look. So the question is when others have had a correction applied did the service writer know what you were talking about or was it required to educate them?
Further I found -4% to be a good correction also. On a recent 3800 mi., mostly interstate driving, -3.6% was a good correction. However nearer home with more mixed driving the error averages 5%... so 4% would appear to be a good correction.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Took OB in today for it's free 12000 mi. scheduled maintenance. Asked the service writer to have correction applied to average mpg reading... not a clue... said nothing the dealer could go. He wanted to know where I got the idea a correction was possible. I referenced this forum which immediately got poo-pooed as internet bunk. He reportedly did ask a technician and got support it wasn't possible. On the work ticket it said "no updates available to make correction" so not sure if he fully understood where to look. So the question is when others have had a correction applied did the service writer know what you were talking about or was it required to educate them?
In the 2015 Legacy/Outback Factory Service Manual:

- BODY section
- - COMBINATION METER (DIAGNOSTICS) MET(diag) subsection
- - - MET(diag)-19 page

12.User Customizing
A: OPERATION
1) On «Main Menu» display, select «Each System Check».
2) On «System Selection Menu» display, select «Combination Meter».
3) On «Combination Meter» display, select «Unit customizing».
4) ON «Unit customizing» display, select an item to be customized.
NOTE:
• For details concerning the work procedure, refer to the “PC application help for Subaru Select Monitor”.
• If not equipped (depending on destination area or vehicle equipment condition), some items are not displayed.
B: LIST
Items to be displayed | Initial setting value | Customize setting

Air temperature correction | ±0°C | -5°C — +5°C

Mean fuel efficiency correction | ±0% | +10% — -10%

Note that I haven't had this done, but this is from the FSM. My 2015 Premium reads around 4% optimistic.

Those are instructions for using the Subaru Select Monitor application. The 2016 FSM may be different, but it's probably fairly close.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
So the question is when others have had a correction applied did the service writer know what you were talking about or was it required to educate them?
When I took my 2015 Legacy in, the service writer didn't have a clue what I was talking about ... but I had brought a copy of the relevant page from the FSM: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/attachments/gen-5-2015-present/267762d1461087206-performing-service-home-met-diag-19_user_customization.pdf. He (the service writer) assured me that the tech would know. In the end it was all done properly.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
@skipw & @ammcinnis
Thanks for the responses. Next time I'll be "armed" with info. Don't recall from memory but I've read in the Owners Manual a few items that are customizable to suit owner's preference. Don't recall specifics. I would guess the SSM program would be the same one used for these functions.
Don't want to paint a picture the service writer was nasty. Probably hate it when a customer comes in with something read on the internet! ... like your doctor!
It's interesting 4% might appear to be the magic correction number.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Now if we could convince Subaru to get rid of that silly -/+ bar in the center display that is nothing more than a digital readout of a vacuum gauge... :)

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Now if we could convince Subaru to get rid of that silly -/+ bar in the center display that is nothing more than a digital readout of a vacuum gauge... :)
Me again! That display shows if your present (instantaneous) economy is high or lower than your present average. So if your average were 25 mpg and it will show if your present economy is more or less than 25. I find it of value, others don't.

·
Registered
738 Posts
It's not a vacuum gauge, it is a comparison of your avg MPG against the instant value and shows if that average is moving in a positive or negative direction. I have played a bit on long long drives and it does infact work and if you take the effort you can adjust your acceleration etc and nurse an extra few miles out of a tank. Still a non vital gauge as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
From the Service Manual - I had the dealer dial mine back by 1% so still a hair optimistic except when I run the tank down to at about 1/4 full then just about on the nose.

Thank you very much for providing this info. I printed this link you provided and gave it to my dealer's service department while there for other service work. Before pulling out this sheet, they said they can't adjust the mpg readout, stating 'it is only a estimate'.

I then pulled out the sheet, and the expression on the face of the service writer was priceless. He quickly reversed his statement and said he would give this to the technician.

The -4% adjustment has definitely got my computer more in line with pump calculated fuel economy. Hopefully, this info was shared with the rest of their service department so that other folks can get their computer adjusted to read out properly.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
@mowcowbell this was the response I got when ask to adjust it. I didn't have the info with me at the time so when I got home I emailed the service manager showing the customizing menu. Thanks to several forum members for providing. Within a couple days the service writer (to his credit) emailed me back with a thanks and invitation to schedule the adjustment. Apparently their SSM program was "locked" and they had to get it unlocked. Took them less than 10 mins.
From other posts it seems like a 4% correction may be common. I've set trip B to get a longer term assessment of my 4% correction.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The MPG monitor on my 2017 runs 6-7% optimistic. I brought it in to the dealer today and brought along a printout of the instruction page provided earlier in this thread. I asked for them to adjust the MPG estimate down 6%

They had no idea what I was talking about. They said they looked in the 2015 factory service manual, and could not find this. They said they called Subaru tech-line, and they have no record of this and never heard of such a thing.

Can anyone give me contact info of a dealer that has done this adjustment?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I had mine done at Irvine Subaru. The service writer said she didn't think it could be done, I gave her the printout from the FMS and 45 mins later I had mine back and the documentation said they'd done it.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
They said they looked in the 2015 factory service manual, and could not find this.
Point them to page MET(diag)-19 of the 2015 Legacy/Outback Factory Service Manual. (Also tell them that I have a 1/2 hour minimum shop charge to look things up for them.)

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
What is the procedure for a 2019 Outback... I'm sure if I bring it in to the dealer I will get a blank stare. They don't seem to be up on many things there.....

21 - 40 of 67 Posts
About this Discussion
66 Replies
31 Participants
jakemccoy
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing