Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Perhaps the systems aren't tied to each other but doesn't the car showing a higher than actual MPG overestimate the miles until empty reading?
I'm going to guess, yes, it will affect MTE by a similar factor. The thing is, the typical 4% to 5% error is peanuts compared to other, much larger, sources of error. Not least of these is the assumption that your future MPG will be the same as the recent average. Don't forget that when it's most critical, when DTE is small, the absolute error (in miles) is also proportionally small. If it's 4% optimistic and that were the only error, that means when it calculates 500 miles to empty it's really 480 miles, but when it calculates 50 miles, it's really 48. If you're relying on that level of accuracy you're practically guaranteed to have problems. Don't forget that the DTE is shown in 10-mile steps and the change from 50 to 40 miles is a 20% drop; a difference of a couple of miles (4%) is swamped by this.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
From the Service Manual - I had the dealer dial mine back by 1% so still a hair optimistic except when I run the tank down to at about 1/4 full then just about on the nose.
Does the dealer have to open up the dash, or is all handled via the headunit without opening up stuff? I would rather NOT have the dealer unscrewing things and opening things up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello all, I went to the dealer and they insisted that it could not be done and that they had not heard of it yada yada. I even gave them the print out provided here ( Thank You ) they ended up not oing it, as they had to "check with Subaru".

===> Q: did anyone get charged for this service adjustment? They seemed anxious to suggest that they might...

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Hello all, I went to the dealer and they insisted that it could not be done and that they had not heard of it yada yada. I even gave them the print out provided here ( Thank You ) they ended up not oing it, as they had to "check with Subaru".

===> Q: did anyone get charged for this service adjustment? They seemed anxious to suggest that they might...
I got the same response from my dealer. I have decided to leave it as is. At time of sell, a higher mpg on the computer will be better anyway. It is kind of like having a legally altered odometer. Meanwhile, it is easy to do the instant correction in my head.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I love how the dealers really brag up their service centers and the factory training they get to best service your Subaru. And then the car owners have to train the service writers because they don't seem to know anything about their own brand.

I didn't get charged to have mine adjusted, though I did get it done at the same time as the recall for the distance to empty calculation.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I love how the dealers really brag up their service centers and the factory training they get to best service your Subaru. And then the car owners have to train the service writers because they don't seem to know anything about their own brand.

I didn't get charged to have mine adjusted, though I did get it done at the same time as the recall for the distance to empty calculation.
Not only that, I got a condescending lecture from the service rep about how to set the odometer to get an accurate mpg reading. I could tell he was far way from understanding the issue. So, i just left because it was not worth my time.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Not only that, I got a condescending lecture from the service rep about how to set the odometer to get an accurate mpg reading. I could tell he was far way from understanding the issue. So, i just left because it was not worth my time.
I never let them win that easily. It's always pretty satisfying to watch them realize they were wrong and how childish their condescending attitude made them look. 😄

·
Registered
200 Posts

I also got that from my dealer. Then I showed then the page from an earlier post, and they did the change. No charge, and now I'm almost spot on. I had them set it to -6. Many posters used -5 and got good results...

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
I went to the dealer and they insisted that it could not be done and that they had not heard of it yada yada.
RTFM ... it's not just for clueless customers!

===> Q: did anyone get charged for this service adjustment?
I had ours done when the cars (2015 Legacy, 2016 Outback) were in for some unrelated warranty or recall work, and there was no charge for either. Once the Subaru SSM diagnostic tool is plugged into the car's OBD-II port, changing the fuel mileage calibration constant should only take a competent tech about 30 seconds.

On the other hand, some people have reported being charged 1/2 hour of shop time by their dealer to make this adjustment. (Personally, I would take that as my cue to find another dealer ... one that places more value on building a long-term customer relationship than on padding today's short-term service billing.)

·
Registered
923 Posts
Wouldn't it be so cool in the end to get one's car back and all the things repaired and for there to be a line-item "Calibration" with 30sec = 0.0083 hours of time charged. At $125/hr, that's about a dollar! Sweet!!!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
FWIW, I'd say, right or wrong, better is better than worse and right or wrong, it's still a valid gauge of MPG. Correct relative to itself.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I also got that from my dealer. Then I showed then the page from an earlier post, and they did the change. No charge, and now I'm almost spot on. I had them set it to -6. Many posters used -5 and got good results...
What post did you show them?

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
From the Service Manual - I had the dealer dial mine back by 1% so still a hair optimistic except when I run the tank down to at about 1/4 full then just about on the nose.

Can you upload that pic directly to this site? When you use a link like that, eventually the link goes bad.

By the way, are you sure your computer was only 1% high. On 25.0 mpg actual, computer would show 25.25. That difference is well within a margin of uncertainty. It is unreasonable to expect more accuracy.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
FYI, you're responding to a post that's over 3 years old, from a member that has since sold their Subaru (check his "replies").
Anyway, my post is for others to see as well. Does anybody have that pic? By the way, links to pics eventually go bad 100% of the time. Just upload the pic. If a thread is still here, then old posts should still be serviceable.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts
About this Discussion
66 Replies
31 Participants
jakemccoy
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing