Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited - Magnetite - LP Adventure lift
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Discount tire today.

Guy tried to steer me away from the Falken Wildpeaks. Said he put some on an 18 crosstrek and the guy brought them back, didnt like, and the same month, a 17 Outback, and they didnt like.

Suggested the new continental terrain contact A/T.

Something about the new subarus being quieter (LOL) and people not liking the ride of the falken.

I know Jimosuke has Falkens and seems to like them. I dont want BFG TA KO2's as they're likely loud, wear easier, and much more expensive - with no treadwear warranty.

I hear the new terraincontact is a good tire, but what are opinions here specific to AT's on the Gen 5?

I know, its a dead horse but the contis also weigh less - is that better in sand? I dont know. Are they worth the 32.00 a tire more?

Any other suggestions I am missing? I dont want Geolandars, I want something more aggressive.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,889 Posts
KO2s aren't that loud. Wear is about 1/32" every 3-4k miles.

Sidewall and tread is excellent. Weight is the issue. I would actually recommend 225/65/17 and a lighter wheel if you want to go all out.

@MiddleAgeSubie might have some recommendations too.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im getting MR118s.

If tire weight is the issue, then the terraincontacts might be the ticket - Let me get some weights........

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
KO2s aren't that loud. Wear is about 1/32" every 3-4k miles.

Sidewall and tread is excellent. Weight is the issue. I would actually recommend 225/65/17 and a lighter wheel if you want to go all out.

@MiddleAgeSubie might have done recommendations too.

Also - why 225 vs 245?

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,889 Posts
Also - why 225 vs 245?
Weight. Overall experience. Less mileage impact.

Easier on wheel bearings (I haven't had an issue but i do expect a shorter than average life)

I love the 245 but I question if it's too much for daily.

Super helpful off road of course.

Do NOT go 245 with the 2.5. The 3.6 doesn't care.

Source : have owned both.

I think 225 with light weight wheels would be near or lighter than the factory set up. All the advantage with none of the drawbacks.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Weights - (245/65/17)

T/A KO2 - 44 LB
Wildpeak - 39
Terraincontact - 34

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Weight. Overall experience. Less mileage impact.

Easier on wheel bearings (I haven't had an issue but i do expect a shorter than average life)

I love the 245 but I question if it's too much for daily.

Super helpful off road of course.

Do NOT go 245 with the 2.5. The 3.6 doesn't care.

Source : have owned both.

I think 225 with light weight wheels would be near or lighter than the factory set up. All the advantage with none of the drawbacks.

Only the TAKO comes in 225/65/17. None of the others do. T/A KO is 39 lbs in that weight, same as the 245 wildpeak, still more than the conti

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What about splitting it down the middle with a 235?
I dont think the 235s work, as they are too tall with the 75/80 height

65% sidewall with 17" wheel will work fine.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its my understanding that a lot of gen 5 outbacks are using 235/65/17 tires?

right but neither the TA/KO, Falken,Or conti come in that size.

dynapros and geolandars yes. Neither of which I am interested in.

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,784 Posts
Weights - (245/65/17)

T/A KO2 - 44 LB
Wildpeak - 39
Terraincontact - 34
I have had all three.

P-metric Wildpeak rock. All the virtues of P-metric tires plus superb shoulder guards and real strength.

The Conti AT is far too mild for serious offroading but great in town and also great traction on dirt.

There is no point in the KO2s if a P-metric Wildpeak is available.

I had the Ko2 in 225 65 17 because I had a 2013 model and the competition in that size was poor back in fall 2015. The Ko2 opened new doors but it was not even in the running when I was choosing for the 4Runner. It came to P-metric Wildpeaks vs C-load Ridge Grapplers. Both are outstanding, but price and street psi won it for the Wildpeaks.

EDIT: I forgot; if sand is all that is needed, the Conti AT may be the best overall option but strength when aired down in sand will be an issue. The Conti AT should be the stock tire on Subarus, it is the best overall match for the vehicle's strengths.

Reactions: Brucey

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have had all three.

P-metric Wildpeak rock. All the virtues of P-metric tires plus superb shoulder guards and real strength.

The Conti AT is far too mild for serious offroading but great in town and also great traction on dirt.

There is no point in the KO2s if a P-metric Wildpeak is available.

I had the Ko2 in 225 65 17 because I had a 2013 model and the competition in that size was poor back in fall 2015. The Ko2 opened new doors but it was not even in the running when I was choosing for the 4Runner. It came to P-metric Wildpeaks vs C-load Ridge Grapplers. Both are outstanding, but price and street psi won it for the Wildpeaks.

EDIT: I forgot; if sand is all that is needed, the Conti AT may be the best overall option but strength when aired down in sand will be an issue. The Conti AT should be the stock tire on Subarus, it is the best overall match for the vehicle's strengths.

This is exactly why the decision is tough between the wildpeak and conti. 95% of my intended off road use is beach sand. That MAY change - but honestly I don't know where I could trail it in Va, as I've not had a 4x4 since I was in my late teens.

And I could not agree more about the conti being the stock tire. The duelers are garbage. Also thhis whole 18" thing on the subaru - I hate it. I wish the limited had come with 17's but its all about the look.

Curious why you think the conti will be better in Sand than the wildpeak? My thought is weight. Sand cares not about big lugged traction. Air down and you're a rolling blob of rubber anyway, yes? The conti will clearly wear better, and likely have much better ride quality and noise than the Wildpeak. But the wildpeak will have better general off/soft road capability, look better (opinion) and be cheaper. The contis have 10K more mileage waranty, but I have never kept a set of tires 65K either. I dont see them making it that far before noise, or safety of treadwear drives me to replace. I usually go 50K max.

And lets face it, You'll barely spend 10-20% of the car's miles, actually being off road.

it seems the conti may get better mileage too, maybe equal to the OEM bridgestone.

So - what do you choose? The conti or the falken?

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Limited Titanium
465 Posts
In terms of over sand traction, airing down is more important than what AT tire you use. I drove my OB with stock Bridgestone Tires airing down to 18 psi over sand and had no issues. If you are just planning on over sand “soft-roading” then and good quality tire should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,352 Posts
In terms of over sand traction, airing down is more important than what AT tire you use.
Agree wholeheartedly. All the wonderful features and technology in tires are only meaningful in situations other than sand.

When you're on sand, it's entirely a question of how easily you can air down to low pressure and then reinflate for safe street-speed operation.

If you're picking tires for street + soft sand, select the tires for the way they work on the street. If you want to change any factor to improve sand operation, go with a higher profile. That slightly amplifies the traction patch expansion when you air down.

Then get yourself an air tank and/or compressor and you'll be set.

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
676 Posts
ran ko2's on my jeep WK for prob 3 mons, then swapped them to a set of yokohoma g015s... tire was amazing, and very affordable. rode very quiet, performed great and wore great as well. if I were to go that route on my '18 OB I would go yokohoma g055 or possible the firestone le2

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't understand how the Geolander's aren't aggressive enough for trips to the beach...

They probably are - But I'd rather have the continentals. Also, Id also like the extra capability of the wildpeaks as we do go to the mountains often in the fall and winter. (snow+ offroad).

its just a matter of picking a priority

1 - 20 of 36 Posts