Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,784 Posts
On the OB, I had the Conti AT as DD tire and the KO2s as trip tire.

On the 4Runner, I just have the Wildpeaks. So far no noise or other road negatives but noise may appear later in their life. They ARE winter rated as well.

I replaced a Conti AT within weeks of ownership due to puncture in the neighborhood. Also the tread is optimized for rain, not rock. I am in the land of rocks and no rain.

Funny you mention %. Was talking to Brucey about it.

15% offroad is HUGE. this is what I have on the 4R after 4000 miles. Unsustainable except on trail rigs.

7% was my lifetime Outback unpaved and that is about as much as a family all-arounder can really get unless you live on a dirt road or run the same nearby trails every weekend.

Most people that say "only10% offroad" really mean 1-2% offroad mileage....

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited - Magnetite - LP Adventure lift
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Youre probably right about the 1-2%.

Our outback was bought in late sept, of 2017, and still has 4500 miles on it. Its not a commuter. Many of those miles ARE trip miles though. The TDi does the bulk of the driving. The outback is for when wife wants to take the "nice big car", we have to haul crap, or go to the beach / mountains. Its also the foul weather car.

im leaning heavily toward the falkens. Theyre cheaper, and more aggressive which is what I want. I may end up regretting it, I've yet to hear anyone say they dont like them. Conti just looks too much like an OEM tire. Still have not ruled it out yet. If the rebates are strong during DTC's july 4 sale, I may get them anyway. Right now with rebate its only like 60.00 more for the contis.

No one has them in stock locally to look at though.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,433 Posts
I do too much highway driving to appreciate anything with an aggressive tread. It's just too loud in the cruise. For the 200 miles a year I'm not on hard pavement, I'll put up with my city slicker kicks not being the best.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Limited WGM
58 Posts
I had the dealer install my Falkens when I bought the car. I have 14K miles on them now and I can honestly tell you it was the best decision out there. The KO2's are too heavy and everything else doesn't look aggressive enough. The noise is no where near as bad as anyone thought it would be and I frequently take it on business trips over hundreds of miles. No issues balancing or tracking weird at over 70mph and one of the best bangs for your buck at only $130/each. If I were to go back to a tamer A/T tire I would be Geolanders.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
I do too much highway driving to appreciate anything with an aggressive tread. It's just too loud in the cruise. For the 200 miles a year I'm not on hard pavement, I'll put up with my city slicker kicks not being the best.
Same here but my trailer towing literally ate my street tires on a single trip. But I found my favorite tire!! Great mix of street performance and rugged durability. BFG Advantage ta sports. I have about 25k on mine now and really like them. They are wearing really well and didn’t impact highway mileage.

They are just luggy enough to go well with the OB look. So far Tahoe snow and nasty muddy dump run they held their own. Getting some dirt action this weekend doing a quick camping trip to a new area lots of ovh trails etc. Not doing ovh in the Subaru but 16 miles of dirt to a lake we are scoping out for future trips with friends.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Check out the Michelin Defender LTX

Not a hard core AT tire but depending what you need it for the LTX is supposedly great for some mud and a few rocks. Maybe not balls out AT like a K02 but seems to get good reviews as a nice truck tire that handles some mild off roadies loose fill, mud, and snow very well.

Probably worlds better on the highway.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited - Magnetite - LP Adventure lift
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I had the dealer install my Falkens when I bought the car. I have 14K miles on them now and I can honestly tell you it was the best decision out there. The KO2's are too heavy and everything else doesn't look aggressive enough. The noise is no where near as bad as anyone thought it would be and I frequently take it on business trips over hundreds of miles. No issues balancing or tracking weird at over 70mph and one of the best bangs for your buck at only $130/each. If I were to go back to a tamer A/T tire I would be Geolanders.

Are you lifted?

Im pretty sure Ive decided on the Wildpeaks.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Touring White
21 Posts
Check out the Michelin Defender LTX

Not a hard core AT tire but depending what you need it for the LTX is supposedly great for some mud and a few rocks. Maybe not balls out AT like a K02 but seems to get good reviews as a nice truck tire that handles some mild off roadies loose fill, mud, and snow very well.

Probably worlds better on the highway.

I have the Defender LTX on my other car and have been very happy with them.
I am leaning towards putting them on our Outback instead of the Yoko Geo G015's. My only hesitation is the overwhelming enthusiasm in the forums for the G015's on Outbacks.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R
41 Posts
EDIT: I forgot; if sand is all that is needed, the Conti AT may be the best overall option but strength when aired down in sand will be an issue. The Conti AT should be the stock tire on Subarus, it is the best overall match for the vehicle's strengths.
Bumping this because it's the latest thread to mention the TerrainContacts AND you guys happened to mention sand driving. I'll be going camping at Assateague Island National Seashore soon, so I thought I'd get an oversand vehicle permit while I was there (the drive down the length of the beach looks amazing). I shot Continental an email for their input on this specific tire's minimum pressure (I understand the general guidelines, but thought I'd check), and here was their response for future reference:

Hello Kai,

you should be able to run 12 psi, as low as 8 psi in extreme cases when not crossing stones or driftwood. In either case, you must air up BEFORE driving speed limit on street. Sounds like fun!!! Post some pics on Continentals Facebook page!

Best Regards,

Chris Davis
Technical Product Service Engineering
Their regular CS team got that response for me from the technical guys in just one day, which I think is tremendous. I've already been in love with the tires for about 6 months now, and it's nice to see responsive customer service too.

EDIT: My previous write-up on the tires, fwiw: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...9-tires-wheels-proven-fit-40.html#post5507249

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,784 Posts
I agree; this is an impressive response. I would absolutely not do 8 unless it is a last resort, short-distance measure though. I would do 15 (hot, so about 13 cold) for really soft and deep sand. I did 10 once on the Tribeca, but I was already stuck due to being above 20psi in deep sand and the 55 profile tires looked like pancakes. I was able to climb an S hill out of the beach but I was extremely careful with how I was turning the wheel.

Bringing in all the Australian knowledge from ORS, I will say that at 8 psi, you will want to avoid any turning, basically. They consider 10 cold lowest acceptable and they know best since they do extremely long stretches of sand.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Can you please tell me more about your outback? What size tires are you running. What rims? Do you have a lift? How did the change from stock tires affect your milage. I currently have a 4Runner and am strongly considering going to the Outback. I drive when offroad 99% forest service roads, so the 4 Runner is way over kill and gets crap mileage.

Also, what model Outback do you have. I love the Green, just concerned about the light interior unless you go to Touring model.
Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Can you please tell me more about your outback? What size tires are you running. What rims? Do you have a lift? How did the change from stock tires affect your milage. I currently have a 4Runner and am strongly considering going to the Outback. I drive when offroad 99% forest service roads, so the 4 Runner is way over kill and gets crap mileage.

Also, what model Outback do you have. I love the Green, just concerned about the light interior unless you go to Touring model.
Thanks!
I can tell you about mine I have a 2015 outback 3.6 with 245/65r17 Falkens wildpeaks ( great tire i love them 3000 miles on them now) on 17 inch wrx rims
I get about 20ishMPGs going back and forth to work about 17 miles each way 1/2 highway 1/2 back roads
I do have a heavy foot and drive fast. I get about 24-25 on the highway with cruise set at 65/70. I think someone said not to go with 245 tires with the 2.5 and I would have to agree.
I also went back and forth on should I get a 4 runner or outback before I bought the outback and I am very happy I got the outback. Over all this is the best car I have owed and will be getting the wife one soon.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Anyone tried a 235/70r17 on the factory wheels? I've seen that size mentioned, but everyone runs offset wheels. I figured since the 245/65r17 seems to work with no problems, the slightly taller and narrower 235/70r17 might work as well. The difference in diameter is pretty dang close @ 0.41" larger.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Limited 2.5i
303 Posts
Anyone tried a 235/70r17 on the factory wheels? I've seen that size mentioned, but everyone runs offset wheels. I figured since the 245/65r17 seems to work with no problems, the slightly taller and narrower 235/70r17 might work as well. The difference in diameter is pretty dang close @ 0.41" larger.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Satchel. Thanks for the reply. I read that thread and it appears they are talking about 235/55r18. My question was about 235/70r17 on a stock wheel with no lift. I searched the forum for that size and I could only find one mention of that size, and they were running aftermarket wheels. Do you know if anyone has tried this size tire on a factory wheel with no lift? Thanks.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts