Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited with Tech & Eyesight
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gen 5: Dash Cam Reviews & Experience

Finally finished my dashcam hardwire project. I now have a camera in the front with parking mode and a rear camera when driving.

My current set up:
2016 Outback 3.6R Tech. w/ Eyesight
Front camera - Vicovation Opia 2 + Vicovation Power-Plus (for hardwire & Parking mode)
Rear camera - DOD Tech LS470W+
1x Transcend 64GB micro-sdxc
2x Transcend/Adata 32GB micro-sdxc (one is for back-up)
1x Lexar 16GB micro-sdxc (back-up card)
Gorilla Tough & Clear Mounting Tape

Installation:

1) Front camera - Vicovation Opia 2

Bought this camera because it's a good/reliable brand, great image quality, and resistance to high temperature. I also liked the fact it can rotate to capture encounters.

I decided not to center the camera and instead mounted it on the passenger-side due to the warning message in the Subaru Eyesight Manual. Since my camera mount can rotate, I can still center the view.

The wire can be easily tucked in to the headliner until it reaches the A-Pillar. Thanks to Youtube, I learned how to take off the A-pillar cover and zipped-tied the cables to ensure it does not interfere with the side airbag. I then ran the wire from the passenger-door side down to underneath the glove compartment, and then around to the armrest storage. There were a lot of crevices to hold/hide wires so I didn't have to use cable mounting clips.

I hardwire the camera to the car battery via the fuse box because I wanted parking mode. I used the Vicovation Vico-Power Plus to act as the go-between the camera and the fuse box so I have more control and safety checks in place. At the fuse box, I used 2 add-a-circuit. I used Fuse 7 (10A CIGAR) for the ACC, Fuse 26 (10A BACK UP) for the constant , and found a ground near the front-hatch release lever. Underneath the driver's console is a plastic cover that comes off after pressing on the 3 tabs and pulling down. I ran the wire across the back of this cover, closed it, and then ran the wire up to the armrest console.

The Vico-Power Plus controller and the power cable from the camera are connected together at the armrest console.

2) Rear camera - DOD Tech. LS470W+

Originally bought this for a 2nd vehicle since sold. Reliable brand and great image quality w/ tons of other features. A bit overkill for a rear camera but since I have it, might as well use it.

The installation was fairly straight forward since no hardwiring is required and no airbag to worry about. If I wanted the install to be near perfect, I could have mount the camera in a way that hides it behind the head-rest and not being able to see it while in the driver's seat looking at the rear-view mirror. The camera mount does not rotate but the lens is wide enough to capture enough rear view. Since it was on the side, I only have to tuck the wire inside the rear pillar cover to hold it, bundled the extra wires and place it out of the way and plug the power into the rear 12V slot.

Future expansion project:

Installing a dedicated dashcam battery so I don't have to draw on the car battery. I think this route is more reliable and cheaper than buying an upgrade AGM battery for my Outback since the OEM battery is still fairly new.

Cheers

*Sorry if the pictures appears to be incorrectly orientated - for some reason during the upload process the orientation gets screwed up*

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a camera in the front and back of my car. My only comment is that when you use suction cups on the back window, the heater lines will cause it to lose suction, and fall off every once in a while. Not sure how to get around that problem.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@ malibu73 - happy to do it and I'll update this thread once I ready to do the dashcam battery upgrade
@mikie - Good point about the suction (or lack there of) cup for the rear. I experienced the same problem when I was using the suction mount to determine the final location of the rear dashcam - now I know it's the heater line. The only solution I can think of is what I'm using now - a strong 2-sided tape.

·
Registered
2018 Outback
48 Posts
Nice writeup. Link on taking off A pillar cover? I need to install a radar detector and dashcam. I think I will add a rear facing camera outside to help me keep a eye on anything I am hauling int he cargo basket, or towing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice writeup. Link on taking off A pillar cover? I need to install a radar detector and dashcam. I think I will add a rear facing camera outside to help me keep a eye on anything I am hauling int he cargo basket, or towing.

Here you go -

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is the advantage of wiring to the fuse box? I wired my last dash cam to the cigarette lighter? I used this too. https://www.amazon.com/Rexing-Hard-...9971&sr=8-1&keywords=rexing+dash+cam+hardwire

I'm switching it over to my new outback, and might as well do it properly this time if fuse box is better?
Hardwiring is for parking mode if your dash camera has that feature - not all parking-mode are the same - some are better than others. If your dashcam does not have a well-reviewed parking mode, I would skip this step.

Reactions: r3ds4nd

·
Registered
2018 Outback
48 Posts
Time to rerun all my cables!

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5i Limited, Metalide Grey w/Grey Int.
1 Posts
So just how sensitive is the eyesight camera to the entire windshield? I’ve been cautioned by the dealer to not put anything on the windshield due to the interference of the eyesight system. Forgive my ignorance as this is my first Subi, and I too am looking to add a dash cam so my curiosity abounds.
have you noticed that windshield mounted dash cam having any impact on your eyesight system? Would you have any other words of caution or anyone else comment on just how cautious around the eyesight system I “real world” need to be that’s just not a dealer comment?
thx
PS..stellar write up and thx for all the great details!

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i
2,683 Posts
I use a Viofo a119 V3 with a battery back up for the front and I am thinking of getting one for the rear in my 2010 outback, the 14 Legacy uses an A119 for the front

1 - 13 of 13 Posts