Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2017 OB 2.5 Lim/ 2005 STI 400 WHP
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to take a lot of pictures.

tools
flat head and or pop rivet puller
10 and 12 mm sockets
12 mm ratcheting wrench
wire strippers and crimpers.
some wire and connectors shown int he pictures.

Directions are with the pictures.

This is my second set of the same horns. I have another set on my STI. When I put them on the STI I put them right int he grill so you could see them. They are super loud. I first used stock wires. Then months later I re did the wiring using the relays. In my experience the relay made NO difference in volume on my old subaru. So I didnt bother this time around.

That being said it is no where near as loud in the outback because the horns are so berried. If I was to do this again I would remove the front bumper and put them right in the grill. They would be so much louder The drivers side is near impossible to get the stock horn out. There is so much more room. To get the drivers side hella on took me at least 20 minutes. its just one bolt. I honestly think it would have been easier to just take the whole bumper off. I know that is intimidating. But if you really want loud horns you need to mount them in the grill anyways.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I didnt bother jacking the car up. This was enough to get under it.

Here are a few shots showing the 6 pop rivets I took out to bend down the splash guards.

Here is a view of the fog lights from under the car.

Here you can see the stock horn. Its the silver round thing. it is held on by one electrical connection and one 12 mm bolt. Dont loose that bolt. I used it to put the Hella supertones in the same spot.

I took the fog lights out to get a little more clearance. I dont think you need to do that on the passenger side. There are 2 pop rivets and two 10mm bolts. Then one plastic clip in the right between the two pop rivets. This clip doesnt come off. Its just redundancy to make sure the fog lights do slide out. Once you get that off the fog light will just slide out the front of the car.

This is the view from the front of the car looking in.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

These are the connectors I use. They fit the Hellas perfectly.

The length of the wire used on the passenger side

Where I grounded the horn. I picked this spot because the bolt I had just happened to fit in that empty hole.

Here you can see the grounding location and the wire going behing the frame all the way to the back of the horn.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This picture is out of order. This is a shot of the Hella installed. OMG I hope you have small hands for this side the drivers side.

This some weird plate thing right above the splash guard. I dont know what that bolt is doing so I used it to grown.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thank you for the excellent photos and directions. I replaced by 2018 Outback horns with FIAMM El Grande's. I could not take the nut off of the horn as it attached to the bracket so I took the bracket and horn off by removing the bolt securing the bracket to the frame. This worked out just fine as I used the supplied brackets with the El Grande horns.

FIAMM includes a small brass adapter that allows you to place the adapter in between the horn and bracket to pull the ground from the frame to the bracket/adpater. A simple patch ground cord with two female end plugs was all I needed to attach the ground plug of the horn to the adapter. I did not change the relay.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the excellent photos and directions. I replaced by 2018 Outback horns with FIAMM El Grande's. I could not take the nut off of the horn as it attached to the bracket so I took the bracket and horn off by removing the bolt securing the bracket to the frame. This worked out just fine as I used the supplied brackets with the El Grande horns.

FIAMM includes a small brass adapter that allows you to place the adapter in between the horn and bracket to pull the ground from the frame to the bracket/adpater. A simple patch ground cord with two female end plugs was all I needed to attach the ground plug of the horn to the adapter. I did not change the relay.
I didnt bother changing the relay either. I think I want to move the placement so they have a direct line of sight out of the car. They are berried in there behind the bumpers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts