Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across this short video of a great looking gen5 outback.
I love the ladder in the back with incorporated rotopax.
Anyone have any info on these mods?

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Limited
24 Posts
That lift looks too "tall" for the Outback, makes the wheels look odd and a sense that you're riding the frame instead of the tires.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That lift looks too "tall" for the Outback, makes the wheels look odd and a sense that you're riding the frame instead of the tires.

I was thinking the same thing.... looks like a 4inch lift or greater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts
The rear wheel is ridiculously close to the wheel cut out. If the lift was done correctly, there would be drop bracket fabricated for the rear trailing arm to locate the wheel properly.

·
Registered
17' Outback Touring 3.6R
267 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out why you took the video in portrait and not landscape...

Definitely one unique looking OB. Mostly in a good way.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,200 Posts
I was thinking the same thing.... looks like a 4inch lift or greater.

what are all the mods on your own 3.6 outback?

where have you taken it?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what are all the mods on your own 3.6 outback?

where have you taken it?

Hey @eagleeye, I have the following mods:
Lift kit: LP Aventure lift kit
Springs: Rallitek rear overload springs
Stability: 19mm sway bar, SSD Performance Strut Tower Brace, upgraded front and rear sway bushings
Bumper Guard: LP Aventure (small model) - with optional Front Plate
Tires: 245/65R17 Falken Wildpeaks AT3
Wheels: Motegi MR118 17x8 +45
Accessories: LP Aventure Canister Filter bypass

I have my full size spare either on a custom made hitch mount (cannibalized a Thule bike rack) or on a Thule Trail XT basket with Yakima Spare Tire Carrier.

I have not been crazy it’s off-roading as I have not installed a skid plate yet. I have the Rallitek skid plates from my OB16 but may want to switch to the LP skid plates..... not too sure yet.
I have used my car on a number of trails in South Jersey, in the Adirondacks and North Carolina. Hopefully I will be able to get out way more after the skid plates are installed.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,200 Posts
Stability: 19mm sway bar, SSD Performance Strut Tower Brace, upgraded front and rear sway bushings

I have my full size spare either on a custom made hitch mount (cannibalized a Thule bike rack) or on a Thule Trail XT basket with Yakima Spare Tire Carrier.

I have not been crazy it’s off-roading as I have not installed a skid plate yet. I have the Rallitek skid plates from my OB16 but may want to switch to the LP skid plates..... not too sure yet.
I have used my car on a number of trails in South Jersey, in the Adirondacks and North Carolina. Hopefully I will be able to get out way more after the skid plates are installed.

that rear canister is a Achilles heal people forget about when fording brooks/ and ponded water. wonder if @Brucey has one.

LP stuff always seems expensive. how much have you spent?

@leftfield is a new guy here looking to buy new and mod a 3.6 like yours.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,294 Posts
that rear canister is a Achilles heel people forget about when fording brooks/ and ponded water. wonder if @Brucey has one.

Someone on the video commented their fuel filter canister went out.

I don't believe mine is located where it was on the Gen 2. There is a muffler there.

I think it's above the rear axle.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Thanks @eagleeye.

That white OB does look a little silly and those wheels are ugly but I would like more info on the winch. The ad lacks any info on the mods.

Jimusoke, do you find the weight of the full-size spare hanging off the back end problematic at all?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,200 Posts
Thanks @eagleeye.

That white OB does look a little silly and those wheels are ugly but I would like more info on the winch. The ad lacks any info on the mods.

Jimusoke, do you find the weight of the full-size spare hanging off the back end problematic at all?

with wheels and some people, beauty is in the eye of the beer holder, opinions are subjective..
(and there are 2 white outbacks on this thread,...I think).

I just picked it to ask a question, as @Jimusoke does not have a thread on his outback. (I guess). ?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that rear canister is a Achilles heal people forget about when fording brooks/ and ponded water. wonder if @Brucey has one.
LP stuff always seems expensive. how much have you spent?
@leftfield is a new guy here looking to buy new and mod a 3.6 like yours.
@eagleeye although I have spent a lot (over 2K for everything) I am really happy with LP’s products and was able to install all the mods myself (expect the overload springs...... too dangerous)
That said, i shopped around (eBay and Amazon) for all the other mods that were not made by LP, and used a local tire shop for the falken wildpeaks.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks @eagleeye.

@leftfield, the spare tire was perfectly okay. I have the OEM hitch (200lb tongue weight), the bike rack I chopped up was rated for 140lbs, but weighs about 20lbs. The spare tire weighs about 50-60lbs.
Also the carrier is mounted to the hitch a through bolt (I had to drill additional holes) and barely moves even when I hit bumps.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
with wheels and some people, beauty is in the eye of the beer holder, opinions are subjective..
(and there are 2 white outbacks on this thread,...I think).

I just picked it to ask a question, as @Jimusoke does not have a thread on his outback. (I guess). ?

@eagleeye I did not feel my Outback warranted it’s own thread as most of the mods were ‘plagiarized’ :).
Only the spare tire carrier was original and I have a thread on that.

Hitch mount spare tire carrier on 1.25" / 2" hitches
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=90850&share_tid=426521&share_pid=4875057&url=http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showthread.php?p=4875057&share_type=t

·
Registered
18 Posts
@leftfield, the spare tire was perfectly okay. I have the OEM hitch (200lb tongue weight), the bike rack I chopped up was rated for 140lbs, but weighs about 20lbs. The spare tire weighs about 50-60lbs.
Also the carrier is mounted to the hitch a through bolt (I had to drill additional holes) and barely moves even when I hit bumps.

Thanks. Looks good.

I saw someone use a swing out but again the weight was a concern to me.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Thanks. Looks good.

I saw someone use a swing out but again the weight was a concern to me.

[IMG[/IMG]

@leftfield, that swinging is the Hitchgate Solo by Wilco. https://www.wilcooffroad.com/shop/hitchgate-solo/
That’s a pretty sweet carrier that I looked into but it only comes for a 2 inch hitch and I had the OEM 1.25 inch. Did not want to spend $200 on a new hitch and an additional $550 in the Solo.
I believe that rig belongs to Scott of 4xpedition.com. He also has a ton of stuff from LP Aventure on his OB.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Premium
188 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoMW2MkcjsQ

Someone on the video commented their fuel filter canister went out.

I don't believe mine is located where it was on the Gen 2. There is a muffler there.

I think it's above the rear axle.
The evap canister filter is located high in the left rear fender. You have to remove the fender liner to even see it. If it gets water in it it can cause problems. The canister is high enough that getting water up it would have water up to the dashboard. The problem is the vent on the canister which is run back down to the bumper area. The kit LPAventure offers puts the vent back up beside the canister itself.

https://lpaventure.com/collections/outback-2015-2016/products/lp-aventure-canister-filter-bypass

1 - 20 of 20 Posts