Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you guys or gals tried the Performance chips at " Chip Your Car " chipyourcar.com ?
i am a new owner of a 2015 outback 2.5. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,927 Posts
Worthless "snake oil." (Besides probably being illegal and risking voiding any remaining warranty from Subaru.) Run away! Fast!

N.B. Most of these "chips" are nothing more than a simple, 15-cent resistor that tricks the Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor into reporting lower than actual temperature ... which is supposed to result in higher fuel delivery and thus more power. Of course, it doesn't work that way in modern (i.e. since the 1980s) engines.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
+1 on it being snake oil. Not going to re-tune the 2.5 for another 60 hp and 5 mpg......but hey, it's only $300 to find out.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,974 Posts
Better off to buy a whole bag of chips. That will keep you busy with something to snack on next time you are trying to pass a big rig on the highway with the 2.5.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Wagon 2.5i limited
224 Posts
I don’t really doubt you guys that doesn’t work, but any first hand experience? If it really cost $300, that’s an expensive risk. Those 30 guarantee things are sometime difficult to take advantage of also. The guys that modify their cars do more than a simple chip, correct?

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,961 Posts
For $100 I'll tell everyone here your car is faster.

For $300 I will sawzall off your muffler too so you can hear that 2.5 roar.

It will be just as effective as these performance chips.

You'll need an actual tune to get anything measurable out of the car and even then the 2.5 doesn't have a lot left to give.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,927 Posts
... the 2.5 doesn't have a lot left to give.
A stock 2.5 is rated at about 1.15 horsepower per cubic inch displacement. Fifty years ago that was race car territory. As a bonus, the Subaru 2.5 also delivers high fuel efficiency and low exhaust emissions.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
I don’t really doubt you guys that doesn’t work, but any first hand experience? If it really cost $300, that’s an expensive risk. Those 30 guarantee things are sometime difficult to take advantage of also. The guys that modify their cars do more than a simple chip, correct?
Go to their web site you will find they offer 3 different chips,
20 hp, 1 mpg gain is $85.
40 hp, 3 mpg gain is $160
60 hp, 5 mpg gain is on sale, instead of $320 it is currently $230.

but snake oil is snake oil.

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
943 Posts
It’s called a 3.6L

·
Registered
2019 Outback Wagon 2.5i limited
224 Posts
Go to their web site you will find they offer 3 different chips,
20 hp, 1 mpg gain is $85.
40 hp, 3 mpg gain is $160
60 hp, 5 mpg gain is on sale, instead of $320 it is currently $230.

but snake oil is snake oil.
I wish I could figure out how to make money on snake oil stuff! Lol

·
Premium Member
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
632 Posts
I'd suggest taking that money and save it towards a really nice set of tires that suits your driving style.

Reactions: walker

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi all,
Thanks for all your thoughts, I am new to the Subaru brand and when I bought outback thought it had lots of pep off the line but after I bought it and got it in real world traffic at least on the highway trying to pass it seems to be a bit of a dog. I guess it was just wishful thinking that these type of products might work. I would have waited to get a 3.6 but at the time was none in my price range. As it was I got the 2015 OB limited with 143,000 well maintained miles for a little under $10,000 .
I was thriving a 2001 4.0L explorer before this so at least I am loving the MPG . Looking forward to chatting with you folks through email more in the future 😊

·
Registered
2019 Limited 2.5
240 Posts
I'd suggest taking that money and save it towards a really nice set of tires that suits your driving style.
That's what I'm going to do with the money I was saving up for hydroxychloroquine prescriptions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts