Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Outback oil change- brand choice?

I have been using Subaru's 0w20 synthetic oil in my 2017 Outback. The oil has been dealer changed 3 times in 8,000 miles at my request. I now plan to do my own oil changes in a couple of months.

I plan to use Subaru's filter. As this is my first Subaru and not sure what brand of oil to use. I am sure there are plenty of good oils, just not sure what owners like.

I also would like some Idea who makes Subaru's brand oil of. Appreciate any help you can offer.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,277 Posts
Subaru oil is made by Idemitsu.

Any oil that meets SPI SM or SN specs in the specified weight will keep your engine running longer than the car will last.

·
Registered
2013 Outback, 2.5i Limited w/ Moonroof
1,537 Posts
Last time I checked, Idemitsu blends Subaru 0W-20, and I believe 5W-30 as well. I couldn't find anything about it, but I vaguely recall reading that Exxon Mobil now blends Subaru motor oil. Either way, it is a fine motor oil. But a little pricey, especially when compared to Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1, which both offer rebates quite frequently. Several of the Asian car companies have their OEM motor oil blended by Idemitsu.

Your engine will be well served with any of the leading 0W-20 products. I've personally used Castrol Edge, Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy and Extended Performance, Pennzoil Platinum, and Royal Purple. All have served me well. The only one I am uncertain about is Royal Purple, as I have had a couple used oil analysis reports from Royal Purple oil changes, suggest that I've had a little higher wear with it than the others. When I've used my last jug of Royal Purple, I won't be buying any more.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,472 Posts
Any name brand SN in a viscosity that's approved in the OM. All will work and satisfy warranty requirements.

Others use the OM as a guide and not the gospel but you can't run afoul of Mother Subie if you stick with the OM.

3 times in 8k? What's your change frequency going to be?

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5, Ice Silver
893 Posts
Three times in 8k miles? Your chances of damaging something by changing the oil so often are greater than actually just keeping the oil in there. Some research on the matter may be of help.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
1,809 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Three times in 8k miles? Your chances of damaging something by changing the oil so often are greater than actually just keeping the oil in there. Some research on the matter may be of help.
Nope, I changed oil/filter at 1000 mile just because I am old school... The other changes were at 6 months and 12 months per dealer requirements. All changes were done by the dealer with Subaru oil and filter. If they damage, their problem. No additional research needed.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, Crimson Red Pearl
123 Posts

·
Registered
1,809 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, Crimson Red Pearl
123 Posts
Much discussion of this in deal forums, but Walmart purchases have been honored. Could always call/email Mobil first.
https://mobiloil.com/en/contact-us
I did, and received a response to the positive from Mobil. I sent in the electronic rebate form with a scanned copy of the receipt. I bought two jugs of Mobil 1 0W20 and the rebate sends back $24, paying for one of the jugs of oil. Not too bad. You wait 6-8 weeks for the rebate, of course.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I did, and received a response to the positive from Mobil. I sent in the electronic rebate form with a scanned copy of the receipt. I bought two jugs of Mobil 1 0W20 and the rebate sends back $24, paying for one of the jugs of oil. Not too bad. You wait 6-8 weeks for the rebate, of course.
There is no prestige in overpaying. :nerd:

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outbacks, Grey Premium & Silver Limited
4,651 Posts
Nope, I changed oil/filter at 1000 mile just because I am old school... The other changes were at 6 months and 12 months per dealer requirements. All changes were done by the dealer with Subaru oil and filter. If they damage, their problem. No additional research needed.
Why is this dealership requiring oil changes based on a specific time frame?

I have never seen any scientific evidence that suggests an oil change should occur based on a specific time parameter, motor oil and its contents to not degrade over time. Wear/usage of said product should be the only indication as to when it needs to be changed.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why is this dealership requiring oil changes based on a specific time frame?

I have never seen any scientific evidence that suggests an oil change should occur based on a specific time parameter, motor oil and its contents to not degrade over time. Wear/usage of said product should be the only indication as to when it needs to be changed.
The Subaru service schedule states every 6 months or 6,000 miles.
BTW, I change the oil/filter on my BMW once a year. It goes only about 1,300 miles a year. Highly recommended for a car that sets a lot or is driven mostly short trips.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outbacks, Grey Premium & Silver Limited
4,651 Posts
The Subaru service schedule states every 6 months or 6,000 miles.
BTW, I change the oil/filter on my BMW once a year. It goes only about 1,300 miles a year. Highly recommended for a car that sets a lot or is driven mostly short trips.
So you're telling me that if a brand new car sits on my lot for 6 months and has less than 100 miles on it, it should have its oil changed? Should it not would that void the warranty or have some other negative consequence because I'm not following the time parameters as specified in the scheduled maintenance booklet?

I'm here to tell you that as a certified mechanic that 6 months has absolutely no relevance towards motor oil encased in an engine. By that standard motor oil producers should start labeling their products with expiration dates like gallons of milk, not gonna happen.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So you're telling me that if a brand new car sits on my lot for 6 months and has less than 100 miles on it, it should have its oil changed? Should it not would that void the warranty or have some other negative consequence because I'm not following the time parameters as specified in the scheduled maintenance booklet?

I'm here to tell you that as a certified mechanic that 6 months has absolutely no relevance towards motor oil encased in an engine. By that standard motor oil producers should start labeling their products with expiration dates like gallons of milk, not gonna happen.
I am just following what Subaru service recommendations indicate. I do not really agree with them, but I have the 7/70 zero deductible Gold Added Security and do not want even a whiff of service issues if I need warranty work. :)

I respect what you are saying and in general agree with you. The new car "not driven" does not need its oil changed and the dealer does not change the oil. Now the guys on Bobistheoilguy oil site might disagree with you. :)

·
Registered
1,809 Posts

If it sits undriven, no. That's why I change the oil in my Mazda every couple years after maybe 6-8 20-25 mile drives. But if it's driven an average of 10 miles a day year round in a 5 mile commute with a cool down in between, what then? You DO know the dinosaurs expired, right? And they weren't even labeled. >:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been using Subaru's 0w20 synthetic oil in my 2017 Outback. The oil has been dealer changed 3 times in 8,000 miles at my request. I now plan to do my own oil changes in a couple of months.

I plan to use Subaru's filter. As this is my first Subaru and not sure what brand of oil to use. I am sure there are plenty of good oils, just not sure what owners like.

I also would like some Idea who makes Subaru's brand oil of. Appreciate any help you can offer.
What are you going to do with the used oil? If you do the oil change yourself.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Most auto parts stores like Advance and Autozone will dispose clean (no antifreeze) used oil and recycle it. May need to use a proper oil only reusable container.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I'm pretty sure Walmart will take it from anybody. I've also taken it to quick-change places. They normally don't care, they get paid for it by the pick up company. I take my own to our township highway office where they have a waste oil heater in their garage.

I like doing my own since I can use the right syn oil and the right filter for less than $20. Keeps me involved in maintenance and on top of potential problems.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts