Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Best noise reducing oil fro gen 5 2.5

I find the 2.5 liter 4 in my 2017 OB Limited a bit noisy. What would be the best 0-20 oil to reduce noise if such a thing is possible?

Perhaps there is an oil additive that might be useful. Don't know just asking. :)

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
noisy on first start up when the engine is Cold??

or noisy all the time.
IMO, all the time it is noisier than I like. Especially on a cold start. Also coarse sounding under acceleration. Keep in mind this is my first Subaru.

·
Premium Member
Twilight Blue 2015 3.6R with Eyesight
4,983 Posts
IMO, all the time it is noisier than I like. Especially on a cold start. Also coarse sounding under acceleration. Keep in mind this is my first Subaru.
That's called the Subaru Boxer Growl...
While it might not be as quiet as some, it really isn't that bad. It's something, once gotten used to, starts to sound awesome!

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,472 Posts
The boxer engine is noisier than some however if you want an oil that is quieter, you might have better luck looking for a unicorn.

Generally speaking, if you're going to stay in grade for warranty concerns among the thickest readily available fully synthetic is Castrol Magnatec, available at Wally World. It comes in 0w-20 and will do well. Good UOAs from it too. It's a very good oil.

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
833 Posts
I find the 2.5 liter 4 in my 2017 OB Limited a bit noisy. What would be the best 0-20 oil to reduce noise if such a thing is possible?

Perhaps there is an oil additive that might be useful. Don't know just asking. :)
Wasn't another thread created by you complaining about the same noise? I thought you went to the dealer to get it checked out? It seemed like you had a issue

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Wasn't another thread created by you complaining about the same noise? I thought you went to the dealer to get it checked out? It seemed like you had a issue
Dealer said no issue. Looking at another angle.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The boxer engine is noisier than some however if you want an oil that is quieter, you might have better luck looking for a unicorn.

Generally speaking, if you're going to stay in grade for warranty concerns among the thickest readily available fully synthetic is Castrol Magnatec, available at Wally World. It comes in 0w-20 and will do well. Good UOAs from it too. It's a very good oil.
Unicorn, I like that. Thanks for the recommendation. We shall see, next oil change.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Unicorn, I like that. Thanks for the recommendation. We shall see, next oil change.
Will Subaru of America (dealer) allow a customer to bring in their own oil for a service? That way there is a dealer record of oil changes in Subaru files. I might do that next time if allowed. I will call my dealer as well.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
What is everyone's favorite 0w20 oil to use in the Gen 5 outback?

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,472 Posts
Any SN Dexos1G2 oil.

There isn't much difference once you've met that standard. Pennzoil, Castrol, M1 or anything else that has that licensing.

Same can be said for any other viscosity such as 5w-30.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,277 Posts

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Crystal White Pearl with Ivory Cloth, with Eyesight and self dimming outside mirrors.
359 Posts
Back in the mid 80's a German magazine asked subscribers to rate their satisfaction with the cars they owned. The surprising winner was the Mazda 626. The American magazine I read about this in explained it as no surprise as the 626 owners replies showed that as a group they did their own maintenance and got to know the noises and such that their cars made showing they were healthy. Seems that we are also such a group.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i, 6 spd M
36 Posts
The 0-20 oil is used because of the gas mileage - thinner oils flow easier. On my 15 Outback, I just hit 20,000 miles. I changed over to MObile 1 extended life 5-20. I could not beleve the difference in how quite the engine now is - starting and highway. I have a 101 mile comute 2x a week. I have not noticed any difference in gas milage from one tank to the next.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,277 Posts
Learning is great. Repetitive topics and similar threads make researching more difficult.

Would you like to have these multiple similar threads merged together?

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,472 Posts
As I said in the other thread and to slightly expand on it, any SN oil that meets the Dexos 1 Gen 2 rating is far more than capable.

The SN rating can be best thought of as a base rating used in the US and the best rating system is the ACEA used in Europe. The Dexos 1 Gen 2 rating is in the middle of those.

You have to look for it on the bottles since the Gen 2 standard and licensing is new and old stock that doesn't have it, but does have the plain Dexos 1, is still on shelves. There's nothing wrong with Dexos 1 but Dexos 1 Gen 2 is the latest.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Learning is great. Repetitive topics and similar threads make researching more difficult.

Would you like to have these multiple similar threads merged together?
Sure, makes sense. Incidentally, I find searching the site a bit hit and miss. Seems I can use the same general criteria and get different results on different days.

21 - 40 of 86 Posts