Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,471 Posts
The first image is the Dex 1 approval symbol. It will look exactly like this on the bottle:

The second image is the Gen 2 approval and it will look like this:

Sorry about the size.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0 T AWD
473 Posts
If they damage, their problem. No additional research needed.
"Their problem" Your inconvenience.

I dislike going to the dealership for something as simple as an oil change. It's always an hour...at least, even with an appointment. Not to mention the time spent driving to and from. And I've been to several Subaru dealers, always the same. The cost, holy smokes! I get it, you're paying for the disposal of the oil. But most auto parts stores now take used oil for free. And you still get mechanics that screw up something as simple as an oil change. I'll get a Fumoto valve and do it myself in a fraction of the time and cost.

Plus has anyone who's done their own version of scheduled maintenance (Oil, filters, tires, breaks, things that wear out) or had a 3rd party do it. And other than obvious abuse. Had a dealer squawk on doing warranty work for a legitimate reason? Recall, premature failure, design flaw, etc.
I think the idea you have to take your car to the dealer for every little thing or they won't honor the warranty is blown out of proportion.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, Crimson Red Pearl
123 Posts
It's always an hour...at least, even with an appointment.
The oil change is ~15 minutes. The rest of the time is spent conducting the "complimentary" xx multi-point "safety" check and looking for things to fix/replace on your car, like the cabin air filter for $50. :rolleyes:

Too bad doctor appointments don't work this way.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
The oil change is ~15 minutes. The rest of the time is spent conducting the "complimentary" xx multi-point "safety" check and looking for things to fix/replace on your car, like the cabin air filter for $50. :rolleyes:

My dealer, Quantrell Subaru, Lexington Kentucky seems to be the best dealer of any brand I have found. No hard sell on sales or service and fair prices. When there is a problem, they resolve it. That said, some items such as air or cabin filter changes can and should be done by the owner. Much more cost effective. :)

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0 T AWD
473 Posts

A multi-point safety inspection on a new car??? :headshake
Save it for the birds

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
A multi-point safety inspection on a new car??? :headshake
Save it for the birds
My dealer does them at every service free of charge. They never find issues on my 2017, so no upselling.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,471 Posts
My dealer does them at every service free of charge. They never find issues on my 2017, so no upselling.
Just wait until the warranty expires and suddenly it will seem like you need everything, according to the dealer.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Just wait until the warranty expires and suddenly it will seem like you need everything, according to the dealer.
So very true. However, this is not my first rodeo with dealers.. :) I also got the 7/70,00/Zero deductible.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Last time I checked, Idemitsu blends Subaru 0W-20, and I believe 5W-30 as well. I couldn't find anything about it, but I vaguely recall reading that Exxon Mobil now blends Subaru motor oil. Either way, it is a fine motor oil. But a little pricey, especially when compared to Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1, which both offer rebates quite frequently. Several of the Asian car companies have their OEM motor oil blended by Idemitsu.

Your engine will be well served with any of the leading 0W-20 products. I've personally used Castrol Edge, Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy and Extended Performance, Pennzoil Platinum, and Royal Purple. All have served me well. The only one I am uncertain about is Royal Purple, as I have had a couple used oil analysis reports from Royal Purple oil changes, suggest that I've had a little higher wear with it than the others. When I've used my last jug of Royal Purple, I won't be buying any more.
I have a 2016 Outback 2.5i. in Australia: I find the manual recommends 0w20 oil (resource conserving) however then it says (11-22) "In hot weather oil of higher viscosity is needed to properly lubricate the engine" !! Doesn't suggest the alternate 5w 30 either. My area never gets below 5 degrees C in winter mostly 15C and commonly 20 - 35 C in summer. Recon I should be using 5w 30 at least. Dealer still puts in 0w 20. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2016 Outback 2.5i. in Australia: I find the manual recommends 0w20 oil (resource conserving) however then it says (11-22) "In hot weather oil of higher viscosity is needed to properly lubricate the engine" !! Doesn't suggest the alternate 5w 30 either. My area never gets below 5 degrees C in winter mostly 15C and commonly 20 - 35 C in summer. Recon I should be using 5w 30 at least. Dealer still puts in 0w 20. Any thoughts?
Amusingly Australian manual also shows a chart for temperature and performance viscosity for 0w 20 and 5w 30 and 5w 40. Chart shows the same temperature range for all oils. -30C - + 40C.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback
295 Posts
It would probably help to know the oil temperature of Outbacks. I haven't tried to monitor that, but on my 2.8 Duramax the engine oil is cooled by the engine coolant. The highest I've seen it go is about 200 degrees, which is really pretty low for a synthetic oil. I'd get an OBD-II monitor that connects to your smartphone before worrying about it to make sure you actually have an issue. Similar language regarding higher viscosity is in the US manual, but it also says this nonsense too:

NOTE
The procedure for changing the engine oil and oil filter should be performed by a properly-trained expert. It is recommended that you have this service performed by your SUBARU dealer.
FWIW, on my Duramax I have free oil changes for life at the dealer, but have not and will not take advantage of a single one. That's because I don't trust their "experts" to put the proper oil in my truck. It requires a higher grade than Dexos 1 Gen 2--it's 2Dexos. In the Mobil 1 brand I prefer it's rather pricey!

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback
295 Posts
This is a brand new 0W-20 synthetic SN oil which is designed for high heat. I can't even find it locally, but you're not local!

Edit: I found it on eBay. Only $22 a quart! o_O

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is a brand new 0W-20 synthetic SN oil which is designed for high heat. I can't even find it locally, but you're not local!

Edit: I found it on eBay. Only $22 a quart! o_O

Surely your 2019 US made Outback gets the same Subaru 0w 20 API SN Resource Conserving from the dealer? Penrite here has an exact grade match available.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback
295 Posts
Surely your 2019 US made Outback gets the same Subaru 0w 20 API SN Resource Conserving from the dealer? Penrite here has an exact grade match available.
Actually my Outback gets Mobil-1 0W-20, which is about $25 for 5 quarts at Walmart. I've been using Mobil-1 since it came out in the 1970s, and have a 30 year old truck with 200,000 miles on it that doesn't burn any oil (or at least didn't the last time I drove it 5,000 miles between changes). So I'm sort of brand loyal.

The oil I linked is actually designed for the new 3.0 Durmax diesel, but it's specs are good for gas engines too. I only pointed it out because it is apparently designed for higher heat levels. (And I suspect the price is just because it's so new).

But again I would suggest getting an OBD-II scanner to see what your oil temp is actually running before getting worried about the heat you're driving in. It very well may be that your engine oil is staying relatively cool notwithstanding the high temps outside.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,506 Posts
Actually my Outback gets Mobil-1 0W-20, which is about $25 for 5 quarts at Walmart. I've been using Mobil-1 since it came out in the 1970s, and have a 30 year old truck with 200,000 miles on it that doesn't burn any oil (or at least didn't the last time I drove it 5,000 miles between changes). So I'm sort of brand loyal.

The oil I linked is actually designed for the new 3.0 Durmax diesel, but it's specs are good for gas engines too. I only pointed it out because it is apparently designed for higher heat levels. (And I suspect the price is just because it's so new).

But again I would suggest getting an OBD-II scanner to see what your oil temp is actually running before getting worried about the heat you're driving in. It very well may be that your engine oil is staying relatively cool notwithstanding the high temps outside.
Doesn't the Gen 5 head unit display engine oil temperature?

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback
295 Posts
Doesn't the Gen 5 head unit display engine oil temperature?
The Outback is the wife's car, so I'm not that familiar with what is possible to display. Sorry I didn't know that, but that the vehicle will report oil temperature does make the task easier. Don't worry about exterior temperatures if your oil temperature isn't also going up.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,506 Posts
The Outback is the wife's car, so I'm not that familiar with what is possible to display. Sorry I didn't know that, but that the vehicle will report oil temperature does make the task easier. Don't worry about exterior temperatures if your oil temperature isn't also going up.
It's buried in the head unit somewhere but I've had it up it before. I would assume an OBD reader would display the same readings.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback
295 Posts
It's buried in the head unit somewhere but I've had it up it before. I would assume an OBD reader would display the same readings.
I recently upgraded the OBD reader in my truck, and put the old one in the Outback, but I've yet to fire it up.

But as to your assumption, my truck's display will show transmission fluid temperature but neither OBD unit will. I find that very strange.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Yep. Would be nice if there were other things available there, but I guess the engine oil temp is something at least.

For oil, whatever the dealer puts in if they’re doing the oil change, or if I’m doing it, whatever Rotella I have on the shelf in the garage (same crap that goes in the motorcycles).

41 - 60 of 86 Posts