Subaru Outback Forums banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outbacks, Grey Premium & Silver Limited
4,651 Posts
After I use up all the Valvoline Synthetic Maxlife 0w20 I have right now I think I am going to switch over to Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 5w20 as it has an ultra low NOACK value for a 20 weight oil and my 2018 Limited Outback has begun to consume about 1 quart of oil every 6000 miles using Rotella Gas Truck 0w20.

I feel like there is little practical difference between a 0w20 and a 5w20 but for what is important to me, oil consumption control and carbon deposit reduction, Valvoline Synthetic 5w20 is far superior compared to pretty much all 0w20 offerings outside of maybe Ravenol.

·
Registered
2018 White Outback Touring 2.5i
617 Posts
I watched a Youtube oil test video by project farm. I've been using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0-20w motor oil for my last 2 oil changes since then. At 24k miles I'm not using or losing any oil between changes. I just drop in a 5 quart container of Pennzoil with the OEM Subaru Blue oil filter and I'm done. My Femco drain plug replacement helps make this job easy-peasy. Maybe I'll switch to Amsoil when my commuting days are over.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
133 Posts
I watched a Youtube oil test video by project farm. I've been using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0-20w motor oil for my last 2 oil changes since then. At 24k miles I'm not using or losing any oil between changes. I just drop in a 5 quart container of Pennzoil with the OEM Subaru Blue oil filter and I'm done. My Femco drain plug replacement helps make this job easy-peasy. Maybe I'll switch to Amsoil when my commuting days are over.
Same experience/opinion with my 2018 3.6...except I use 5-30. I still think Amsoil is probably some kind of "abosolute best" but I'm unwilling to pay 3x the price and inconvenient access to get it. Project Farm test results showed Pennzoil Ultra Platinum to be a VERY close second. Cheap from Amazon and easy change using Fumoto valve. UOA showed excellent results and plenty of margin (TBN) after 6,000 miles.

·
4,651 Posts
Oil pumps are positive displacment so it pushes the oil through regardless of viscosity. For the 3.6, it's speced for 30w in the US and other markets however that same engine is specd for 40w in other countries. 40w is not way too thick and there are UOAs backing that up. You're mileage might take a slight ding but it's not a passage or journal issue. On the other hand you can use a very thin 30, such as PP 5w-30 that's barely a 30. With any kind of sheering or dilution it becomes a 20w. It's all about HTHS and MOFT for your conditions and use.

0w is "watery" came from where exactly? How are you defining watery relative to oil viscosity at cold temps? Unless you're talking -25 or more, your engine does not know or experience any difference using a 0w or 5w oil. There is no measureable difference in engine protection or loss unless you are in the coldest of environments.

Some of the best oils are built with 0w as their cold flow property and once again, there are plenty of UOAs to show that. Mobil1 0w-30 EP, M1 AFE 0w-20, M1 0w-20AP, HM, HM EP and the list goes on and that's just from M1. Other producers offer similar.
I am starting to think much of the thought about choosing oil now has as much to do, if not more to do, with finding out the characteristics and makeup of a specific oil above all else.

For example Ravenol just came out with VMP 5W-30 which has a -76 pour point and a high heat flash point of 460 degrees fahrenheit. To the layman that may not mean much but to an oil nerd that is outrageously good for a 5w30 oil. Now this oil is $60+ for a 5 litre jug and that makes me not so interested.

Like Rub said so much of it depends on your personal variables and moving from there.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,471 Posts
@Kevin,

I think you're right. The Ravenol is a very good oil but overkill for my use and it's a waste. If I were to use a boutique oil I'd run Redline and I did in the OB for bit. $12 a qt is a bit much when other off the shelf oils are showing very good UOAs.

Finding the right oil for your car and how you use it is part of the ownership game and I'm happy to play. It's taken me to insightful UOAs and given clear guidance on what works and what isn't as good but still acceptable.

Right now I'm using BC 0w-30 that's shown it's good for 8k without breaking a sweat. Plain vanilla M1 is showing the same but it thins about 1 cSt every 7k miles which is still a 30w and lastly, M1 0w-40 is showing the same great results as the others, just like M1 AP. I'm kind of leaning toward a steady diet of M1 AP because it has headroom from sheering or dilution, meets the D1G2 spec and is A5/B5, although in May when the new standard emerges that might change things but most oils probably already meet the new specs. A lot of PP already does and I think M1 does too.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R
177 Posts
I change the oil in my 2019 Outback Touring 3.6R every 6,000 miles as recommended in my owners manual. I use full synthetic 5 W 30 motor oil. Changing it that frequently means I dont care what brand it is. I have worked on everything from a vespa scooter to the SR-71 and have never been able to trace a failure to the wrong BRAND of oil. Buy cheap and change often.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R
177 Posts
Without violating any clearance issues, can you say what you did? Years ago I caught one departing Beale. Pretty awesome aircraft.
Engine mechanic. Went to school at Lockheed Burbank and engine school at Pratt & Whitney in East Hartford CT. Brought the first bird into Beale AFB in 1966. Before that I worked on the B-58 Hustler another really sexy bird.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,471 Posts
Engine mechanic. Went to school at Lockheed Burbank and engine school at Pratt & Whitney in East Hartford CT. Brought the first bird into Beale AFB in 1966. Before that I worked on the B-58 Hustler another really sexy bird.
Wow, your old. What was Christopher Columbus like?

That's pretty awesome to work on warbirds like that. I do some work on behalf of folks who do stuff that's not in the public eye. Interesting stories is the best way to describe things.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Wow, your old. What was Christopher Columbus like?

That's pretty awesome to work on warbirds like that. I do some work on behalf of folks who do stuff that's not in the public eye. Interesting stories is the best way to describe things.
He had them change the oil frequently on the Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria... however, he did not use synthetic.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Next week hoping to change all fluids, Engine oil, Transmission CVT oil and filter, front and rear Dif's, and coolant to Amsoil.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,768 Posts
You don't mention your MY or mileage, but if you're eligible for the 100k mile CVT warranty extension, you might consider holding off on a switch away from the Subaru fluid (which, by all accounts I've come across, is actually quite good). Also, there's no replaceable CVT filter. Unless I had well over 100k miles (or had concerns that top offs may have been made with another product), I wouldn't consider touching the coolant since Subaru uses a perfectly good long-life stuff from the factory (first interval is over 130k miles).

·
4,651 Posts
I am curious why you don't go with a company like Valvoline that has been doing this for over 150 years?
I have already deleted a few posts in this thread because they were argumentative and I would strongly encourage everyone to avoid posting anything that could be perceived as argumentative.

The thread is about what your favorite oil is not questioning another's choices, please keep this in mind. Thank you :)

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
For the love of God everyone please make sure your oil is organic and gluten-free!
Mine is... AND it’s free range, non-GMO

When I can’t find that stuff, it’s either the Wally World stuff in a pinch, or more likely Rotella (I wait for sales and buy it to use later on)

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6l Touring
68 Posts
I switched over to the Costco Kirkland 5w-30 Synthetic. $24.99 for 2ea. 5qt bottles. It is packaged for Costco by Warren oil and meets or exceeds all Subaru requirements for my 2017 3.6l. Only on my second change with this oil but it seems fine so far. Fuel mileage is the same as Subaru branded oil.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,527 Posts
I have already deleted a few posts in this thread because they were argumentative and I would strongly encourage everyone to avoid posting anything that could be perceived as argumentative.
I don't even get where the controversy lies. Clearly the 2.5 is superior....wait, what was the argument about again? :unsure:

61 - 80 of 86 Posts